PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

yeah I didn't mean to say seasonic made a bad power supply I have not seen one yet. I was implying that it should be a descent power supply seeing they have something to do with it. I realise it is an older platform psu but I had it with my last build and it does fine, just wasn't sure I missed something. there is no fan noise the thing is silent and has most industrial protections on it. I did do some reading / research on it when it was purchased and it sounded great for my last build and had some good reviews. price was right.

Thanks for the advise, good to know I don't need to change it yet.

1 minute ago, Fred.g said:

yeah I didn't mean to say seasonic made a bad power supply I have not seen one yet. I was implying that it should be a descent power supply seeing they have something to do with it. I realise it is an older platform psu but I had it with my last build and it does fine, just wasn't sure I missed something. there is no fan noise the thing is silent and has most industrial protections on it. I did do some reading / research on it when it was purchased and it sounded great for my last build and had some good reviews. price was right.

Thanks for the advise, good to know I don't need to change it yet.

SeaSonic SS cough cough

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

looking at SeaSonic PRIME Ultra 850 Titanium, or the 750 model or even maybe a good Corsair or EVGA as well, does not look like I need to go higher than a 750 or 800 at the moment, even if I decide to sli some 1080's. Great and thanks again.

1 minute ago, Fred.g said:

looking at SeaSonic PRIME Ultra 850 Titanium, or the 750 model or even maybe a good Corsair or EVGA as well, does not look like I need to go higher than a 750 or 800 at the moment, even if I decide to sli some 1080's. Great and thanks again.

650 would be enough for 1080 SLI. 

You don't need to go that high end; a $80 750W SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold will do.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, Fred.g said:

Hi, I'm wondering why the antec current gamer is down to tier 4, What faults does it have?

+12V and +5V aren't regulated independently.

You can get voltages out of spec with "the right load".

And its rathar loud.

it seems to have descent caps

...is the least important thing of a PSU...

If the design is great, you don't need good quality caps.
But if the design is shit, you want them...

And with modern design and 4 or more caps in parallel and Polymer Caps taking the edge off (from the PSU side) in many modern designs, I'd really not worry about the caps in modern PSU...

That's just Marketing bullshit/Propaganda these days in just too many cases...

and protection and is a tier 2 in another list, now i'm confused. is the performance bad?

Yes, if you have no load on +5V and heavy load on +12V or other way around, the performance is bad.

I have Antec HCG - 750 M current gamer running an i7 8700, Gskill Ripjaws 16gb 2 x 8gb 3200, Aorus gaming 5 board, 3 case fans 140's, Seagate 7200 750gb, Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS drive, atm I have a gtx 750 but it will have a gtx 1080 shortly, noctua nh - d15s.

That one is acutally fine. And has nothing to do with the lower wattage versions...

Comes from a different manufacturer and has dual Mag Amp (= independent voltage regulation).

Though there are way better ones for the same price...

What I read about it sounded ok and had descent hardware in it, made by seasonic so it can't be too bad.

First: the 750W and 900W is NOT made by Seasonic! Its made by Delta wich usually is way better than Seasonic. 

The 400W-620W are though. And those are rather bad and really not worth the money as you can get way better units for the price. And EOL Anyway.

And Seasonic isn't that great anyway. I don't understand why people rate them that highly when there are so many other manufacturers that can do better stuff...

In the end it comes down to what you are willing to pay. Even companys that are seen as shitty and bad can make some decent hardware if you want it and are willing to pay. For example Solytech (Xilence Platinum Thingy with the two 60mm fans) and XHY for example...

1 hour ago, Fred.g said:

yeah I didn't mean to say seasonic made a bad power supply I have not seen one yet.

I was implying that it should be a descent power supply seeing they have something to do with it.

1. You should ask people working in eTail, that sell those things. Some of them don't seem to be very happy with Seasonic from what I've heard so far.

2. Every Copany makes good stuff, if you are willing to pay for it. And _YOU_ can get all the components you need for a PSU on Mouser and Digikey. So there is no magic involved and everyone has the same components to choose from.

To say that one company has to be better and that they don't do bad stuff is just stupid...

Especially if they don't do their own ICs...

So far I've only seen two companys using proprietary ASICs: FSP (FSP6600 and 6601 in their Aurum series) and Delta (Their Protection Chips have a Custom Number on it). 

In the end, the manufacturer is overrated!

And the contractee is underrated!!

If you are willing to pay for it, you can get good stuff from most manufacturers, the question is only:
Do you trust them or not. And there are some that aren't that trustworthy, while you can work well with others. And with some it's just a pain to work with. They don't do any changes besides the modular connector board...

But many other companys are willing to do everything for you - if you pay for it...

And since we are talking about Seasonic right now:

Seasonic writes something like Two +12V Rails on their label while using a Protection IC that does not support that claim. And I've seen a couple of those units so far...

The first version of the S12II-Bronze is such a case - 2 Rails with 17A each on it while using a rather bad HY-510N for protection. And Seasonic seem to love that chip. Just look it up!

It doesn't even have UVP on +12V...

And they the S12II-BRONZE series was introduced ~8 Years ago, back in 2010...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

the 750 non modular is delta and the modular one is SeaSonic apparently so I read in the tier list, and i'm sure I read it somewhere else, but I don't believe everything I read. Probably is a Delta, either way good manufacturers. I have run a lot of stress tests and burn in on all my hardware. the build is very quiet I even had to check fans were spinning, I don't know why they say it has a noisy fan as mine is silent even on full load, the Noctua NH-D15s is louder and I can just hear it on full loads, maybe after a couple yrs use it may become noisy but I am not experiencing any noise as yet.

Thanks again for the advice always good to hear from some pro's.

22 minutes ago, Fred.g said:

the 750 non modular is delta and the modular one is SeaSonic apparently so I read in the tier list, and i'm sure I read it somewhere else, but I don't believe everything I read. Probably is a Delta, either way good manufacturers. I have run a lot of stress tests and burn in on all my hardware. the build is very quiet I even had to check fans were spinning, I don't know why they say it has a noisy fan as mine is silent even on full load, the Noctua NH-D15s is louder and I can just hear it on full loads, maybe after a couple yrs use it may become noisy but I am not experiencing any noise as yet.

Thanks again for the advice always good to hear from some pro's.

The modular 750W should be from Seasonic, based on the M12 II of the same wattage. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm

With a locked mainstream CPU and a <75W GPU, the PSU better be quiet. That should be a 200W load.

:)

oh yeah, forgot to put the k on the i7 8700k, but it is not OC, just saying even stressing things pushes the PSU no? and it is still quiet. At idle I can't hear the machine or fans unless I put my ear to it. and in stress, the CPU fan humms more, and that is quiet.

I thought that it was a SeaSonic inside. So i'm not seeing things, like I said either way is good.

Thanks

On 4.03.2018 at 7:40 PM, djdwosk97 said:
On 4.03.2018 at 7:28 PM, Fawn said:

Which one? :D (CP-9020121-EU) / (CP-9020059-EU)

There is 20% price difference between them.

CP-9020121-EU.

One is a CX550 and the other is a CX500m. The x50 models are part of the revised series and is much better.

Well, i got answer from seller, and  mentioned models are both 550W. CP-9020059-EU is CX550M,  CP-9020121-EU is CX550, thats the way it goes.

On 5.03.2018 at 3:53 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Just look at that (GERMAN!!!) Review:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/5/

The second Revision of the XT is S12II-Bronze as well. And doesn't look good, does it?

Especially the fan speed is really bad. At around 250W its already over 1000rpm and reaches ~2k at around 400W.

And its still group regulated...

My german ist nicht gut, then I assume You are telling truth :D

be quiet Pure Power 10 is also a decent Option.

BN273 and BN277 are the same unit? (except the one is modular and the other is not).

For a bit more, Bitfenix Formula wich is way better than the ones you mentioned.

Unfortunately I cant afford that, its colser to 90$ in my place.

Now i'm choosin between CX550 (CP-9020121-EU), Pure Power 10(BN273)  and Antec NeoEco 550W (NE550C). Little higher (10 bucks over the budget) I can get XFX TS 550 gold, Silentium PC Supremo L2 but dunno if it is worth it.

46 minutes ago, Fawn said:

Well, i got answer from seller, and  mentioned models are both 550W. CP-9020059-EU is CX550M,  CP-9020121-EU is CX550, thats the way it goes.

BN273 and BN277 are the same unit? (except the one is modular and the other is not).

Now i'm choosin between CX550 (CP-9020121-EU), Pure Power 10(BN273)  and Antec NeoEco 550W (NE550C). Little higher (10 bucks over the budget) I can get XFX TS 550 gold, Silentium PC Supremo L2 but dunno if it is worth it.

The Pure Power and CX are both pretty good. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, Fawn said:

You should have told us your country in the first place! Looks like you're in Poland. If that's the case, then SilentiumPC Supremo L2 is definitely worth it over the others if you can afford the price difference.

Just now, OrionFOTL said:

You should have told us your country in the first place! Looks like you're in Poland. If that's the case, then SilentiumPC Supremo L2 is definitely worth it over the others if you can afford the price difference.

I wish I lived in Poland just to have SilentiumPC. They're just so good

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

You are correct about my location, so i take it in a consideration.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I wish I lived in Poland just to have SilentiumPC. They're just so good

Well, that  depends upon your point of view. I compare prices of pc components and newegg and amazon.de are noticable cheaper, but yes, we've nice priced  silentiumpc psu's and Goodram Iridium Pro (MLC SSD) on the other hand :D

2 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Öhhm, there are two Supremo L2 series, one Bronze:

https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/vero-l2-bronze-500w/

And one Gold:

https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/silentiumpc-supremo-l2-gold-550w/

Both aren't that great.

The Gold one is CWT GPS wich is a rather shitty plattform, if nothing is done to it and the fan is not known. If it is the default Hong Hua in my GPS-750V, then its really annoying - like 10m away you can hear it annoying.

The other one is Sama I think...

Don't know about the protection IC but doesn't look great AFAIR.

3 hours ago, Fawn said:

Google Translate to English should be nearly perfect ^^

Yes, absolutely...

Caseking should deliver to Poland ;)

If you want to order in Germany that is...

Lets start in the beginning:
CX550 is OK, fan RPM under lower loads on the higher side -> around 800-900rpm for whatever reason.

Pure Power 10 is the best Choice IMO

ANtec NeoECO is not known but seems like a low end CWT Plattform - like CX430/500, the generation before.

TS550 Gold is worth a look, though its an ancient design -> Seasonic G-Series based.

Silentium L2 Bronze or gold?
The Bronze seems not that great, though reasonably (LLC-Resonant mode Converter with double Mag Amp so also Indypendently regulated). And the Gold one is somewhat OK - but nothing is known about that.

Both seem like SAMA made them, I'd think...

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Öhhm, there are two Supremo L2 series, one Bronze:

https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/vero-l2-bronze-500w/

There aren't "two Supremo L2 series", the bronze power supply is called VERO L2. Not "Supremo L2 Bronze" or "Supremo Vero L2" or anything else. It's literally just Vero L2. You don't even have to open the page, even the hyperlink itself says that.

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The Gold one is CWT GPS wich is a rather shitty plattform,

Supremo L2 isn't CWT GPS. SilentiumPC has never worked with CWT. It's a SAMA platform. I notice you mistake platforms sometimes, please double check beforehand.

3 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Supremo L2 isn't CWT GPS. SilentiumPC has never worked with CWT. It's a SAMA platform.

Yes, I saw that and corrected it before your post ;) 

Its very similar to CWT but the markings look more like SAMA...

10 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Is 550W enough for an RX 580 + r5 1600 + 2x8gb ddr4?

the unit https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151189

Yeah you can run that on 450W if the unit is good :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Megah3rtz said:

Is 550W enough for an RX 580 + r5 1600 + 2x8gb ddr4?

the unit https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151189

I'm guessing yes, but I'd like to be sure.

Yes, the answer is heck yeah

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

51 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yeah you can run that on 450W if the unit is good :)

*has a strong enough 12V rail. Included with case PSU are cancer in that regard due to a heavy reliance on dual rails+old designs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

*has a strong enough 12V rail. Included with case PSU are cancer in that regard due to a heavy reliance on dual rails+old designs.

I'll give you old design, but dual rails aren't bad if they're balanced well, and on a system with a GPU under 200W they won't be a problem.

Either way, any *good* dual+ rail unit will have OCP on each rail so it won't be dangerous, and I did say the 450W has to be good.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Dual rails doesn't make things bad.

When 1 rail runs out of spec, you have problems. Still remember the burning smell coming from my GTX 650ti.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When 1 rail runs out of spec, you have problems. Still remember the burning smell coming from my GTX 650ti.

Which shouldn't happen on any good unit.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler