Are these cooling upgrades good?

Mao_Zedong

I recently bought AKG K7XX headphones which are open, so I've been trying to further reduce the noise coming from my computer. Below is the parts list for my current build. My plan is to replace the corsair AF120s with noctua nf-s12b redux fans. I also plan to use anti vibration mounts to further reduce noise. I plan to replace my intel stock cooler with a phanteks ph-tc12ls. Are these the best upgrades, or are there better options? FYI I won't use normal noctua fans, since I hate the aesthetic. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($222.59) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($81.98) 
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99) 
Storage: Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $149.99) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  (Purchased For $99.99) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.98) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.98) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64-bit  (Purchased For $99.99) 
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-BLED 52.2 CFM  120mm Fans  ($20.99) 
Monitor: Acer G257HU smidpx 25.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($249.99) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($109.99) 
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $54.99) 
Headphones: Shure SE215 In Ear  (Purchased For $99.99) 
Other: silverstone 3x fan splitter ($4.99)
Other: AKG K7XX Red Headphones ($199.99)
Total: $1609.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 13:31 EDT-0400

why would you spend 200 dollars on headphones and 100 dollars on a graphics card?

you can get a bigger monitor for less money and a 1440p for around the price listed.

this build looks like something from 2.5 years ago........ just sayin'.

i'd get 1 stick of ram (8gig) b4 2 4's.

where's the cooling we were asked about?

price is wacky.

the only thing I can think is 2 120mm fans in front and 2 80mm in back and run them a little slow, in my experience having any airflow is 90% of the battle

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 minutes ago, LabRat said:

why would you spend 200 dollars on headphones and 100 dollars on a graphics card?

you can get a bigger monitor for less money and a 1440p for around the price listed.

this build looks like something from 2.5 years ago........ just sayin'.

Its not a new build. I got the GPU 3.5 years ago. I just adjusted the price to adjust a more current value. Also, I don't game much, so its fine for me. This monitor is still the cheapest decent 1440p monitor, and was leagues beyond anything else when I got it a year ago. If you had actually read the post, you would have seen that I am looking for upgrades: this isn't a new build.

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

the only thing I can think is 2 120mm fans in front and 2 80mm in back and run them a little slow, in my experience having any airflow is 90% of the battle

I want this to be as quiet as possible, so adding 80mm fans wouldn't help me.

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Audiophiles do that.

I would suggest AT-M50x's tho

He's not an audiophile

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

Audiophiles do that.

I would suggest AT-M50x's tho

As I mentioned earlier, I have already bought everything in the PCPartpicker list. Also, M50Xs are pretty mediocre.

5 minutes ago, Biferony said:

I want this to be as quiet as possible, so adding 80mm fans wouldn't help me.

Like I said run them slow and they won't be loud, I've done testing and it's best to have intake and outflow for air in something of a direct path past all the parts. But it's your computer, you do you

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Have you identified which components are too loud?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Have you identified which components are too loud?

Yes, my CPU cooler and my front fans, which are what I am planning on replacing. My PSU fan rarely turns on at all, and my GPU fan only turns on with a medium to high load (I use a custom bios). My case doesn't really work with custom GPU coolers, so that isn't a viable option.

1 minute ago, Biferony said:

Yes, my CPU cooler and my front fans, which are what I am planning on replacing. My PSU fan rarely turns on at all, and my GPU fan only turns on with a medium to high load (I use a custom bios). My case doesn't really work with custom GPU coolers, so that isn't a viable option.

Have you tried lowering the fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried lowering the fan speeds?

I have them at the lowest setting in which nothing overheats. My computer is on my desk, which makes it seem louder. I also didn't have any issue with my IEMs, but my open backed headphones make it a bit loud.

6 minutes ago, Biferony said:

I have them at the lowest setting in which nothing overheats. My computer is on my desk, which makes it seem louder. I also didn't have any issue with my IEMs, but my open backed headphones make it a bit loud.

Ah, alright. Your plan seems good so far. The SR LP would be a quieter option for cooling your cpu: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, alright. Your plan seems good so far. The SR LP would be a quieter option for cooling your cpu: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FGj4D/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk002

I guess I'll look into that one some more.

Upgrading fans are not going to lower dB 1000 rpm is still 1000 rpm.

You need to upgrade cooler on gpu before worrying about better fans.

On 7/22/2016 at 9:56 PM, Revanssi said:

Upgrading fans are not going to lower dB 1000 rpm is still 1000 rpm.

You need to upgrade cooler on gpu before worrying about better fans.

RPM alone doesn't determine how loud a fan is. The bearing and motor design is usually the cause of most of the noise a fan makes.