PSA - You only have 7 days to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

GoodBytes
Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Yep, positive. 

And you are sure you install Windows 10 PRO, and not home?

Check system panel.

Is the language the same?

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And you are sure you install Windows 10 PRO, and not home?

Yep. It says W10 Pro in the Systems information page. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yep. It says W10 Pro in the Systems information page. 

So then contact Microsoft support.  You either need an override key or a new key.

21 hours ago, Sumsar said:

Still not going to "upgrade"

I agree. Why would I want to bring the Windows 8 and Windows 7 worlds together when I can just have Windows 7?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I agree. Why would I want to bring the Windows 8 and Windows 7 worlds together when I can just have Windows 7?

Because other than the UI Windows 8 is superior to W7 on the backend. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because other than the UI Windows 8 is superior to W7 on the backend. 

Not by enough to upgrade. It isn't a leap like 98 to XP was, or XP to 7.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

fc0c4a576c0cef83b620c73c3cc0b63b.jpg

I'm going to throw a little party for myself on the 29th, for not having gotten Windows 10 for "free". Or ever for that matter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This topic is sponsored by microsh!t.... Seriously who cares about that junk? If someone wants to  upgrade they done it long ago...

@GoodBytes @AluminiumTech

W10 vs w7 on a laptop with a nehalem i3 and 2gb of ram (and the same laptop but with 4gb of ram).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

@GoodBytes @AluminiumTech

W10 vs w7 on a laptop with a nehalem i3 and 2gb of ram (and the same laptop but with 4gb of ram).

Windows 10 uses less RAM on systems with low ram (2-4GB) but slightly more on systems with more ram. (8-16GB)

For both Windows 10 would be great.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Windows 10 should technically be faster.

You can get the trial version of each OS and compare, if you have time.

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You don't need software.. you are installing stuff you can do by hand, and all found in the Settings panel.

Unlike previous versions of Windows, it can't be fully disabled, even if you dig, but you can reduce it to minimal levels.

All is in the Settings > Privacy. There is really 4 sub tabs in this section you can check:

"General" Where you can disable everything available.  Then you have "Speech, inking & typing" tab where you can disable sending your Cortana voice commands, inking, and typing (with the on-screen keyboard) to Microsoft. Then you have "Account info" (if you don't want apps to use your account name/picture/email), and you have "Feedback & Diagnostics". This last one you cant' disable (hence why I said it can't be fully disabled), but you can set to "Basic"

What about this method?

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

That's what I've done. But I don't know if it's stopped all non-authorized communication.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 7/22/2016 at 3:20 PM, zMeul said:

it's not

except DX12 and WDDM2, there is absolutely nothing W7 can't do that W10 can

Vastly superior performance

Significantly improved and modernized UI

Modern features like DX12 and Cortana

Actually being fucking supported by Microsoft

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows 10 uses less RAM on systems with low ram (2-4GB) but slightly more on systems with more ram. (8-16GB)

For both Windows 10 would be great.

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 should technically be faster.

You can get the trial version of each OS and compare, if you have time.

Alright 

Thanks

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

19 hours ago, FakezZ said:

Honestly, if MS does not plan to release a new Windows version and just keep on updating Windows 10, then they should just open-source the thing anyway... They do not plan on making any more money on the OS so why not make it open and provide paid support for the Enterprise? Then Windows would probably become my favorite OS...

Apple did that with Mac OS X way back in 2001, release a "last" major OS and then every "new" OS after that is a revision of the previous OS, and they haven't fully open-sourced the OS. You can download the source code for components of Mac OS X (or macOS as it's called now), but the OS as a whole is licensed under a proprietary license.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

Vastly superior performance

Significantly improved and modernized UI

Modern features like DX12 and Cortana

Vastly superior performance - untrue

Significantly improved and modernized UI - actually useless and in some cases a pain in the ass

Cortana - is region specific and frankly .. I don't give a flying fuck; it's like saying Android is trash because it doesn't have Siri

Actually being fucking supported by Microsoft - W7 support hasn't yet ended

43 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Vastly superior performance - untrue

Significantly improved and modernized UI - actually useless and in some cases a pain in the ass

Cortana - is region specific and frankly .. I don't give a flying fuck; it's like saying Android is trash because it doesn't have Siri

Actually being fucking supported by Microsoft - W7 support hasn't yet ended

I gotta say.....your way of argumentation is spot on. /s

Vastly superior performance - Like it or not: It does come out on top more times than Windows 7.

Significantly improved and modernized UI - actually useful and a pain in the ass for some, who don't want to admit change and don't want to learn

Modern Features like DX 12 and Cortana - Who gives a fuck about you giving a fuck? Both are modern features. End of discussion.

Actually being fucking supported by Microsoft - You're right. But optimization has since their focus lies on Windows 10. (Which will make Windows 10 even faster than Windows 7 but pshhhhhhhh)

17 minutes ago, Noolz said:

Vastly superior performance - Like it or not: It does come out on top more times than Windows 7.

source? other than regurgitated bull crap of fantasies

here:

W10: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5570949

W7: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9081811

Modern Features

Vulkan is modern feature - guess what, works on W7 too

guess why W8 was a shitshow, could it be becasue of it's "modernized UI" that no one asked for ? oh yes it was

so, when MS pushes KBs down your throat that could fck up your system, is that still called "support" ?!?!

or haven't you heard that MS actually fired their entire testing well before W10 launch

1 minute ago, Overkilled said:

SMH people living in the past

Windows 7 isn't really the past, since Windows 10 is still based on the same core OS, which is why they're so similar. It's like the same person, wearing different clothes.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 7 isn't really the past, since Windows 10 is still based on the same core OS, which is why they're so similar. It's like the same person, wearing different clothes.

And on that note, Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista :D 

Just now, Daring said:

And on that note, Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista :D 

Yup. Vista, 7, 8, 10... the most impacting difference between them all, other than UI, is the driver support that is available for each. Vista is made obsolete only by its lack of driver support for modern hardware. Windows 7 currently doesn't have that problem, and so it is very much still a modern OS. But Windows 10 (and I know GoodBytes is gonna cringe when I say this) is pretty much just Vista with a bunch of superficial frills on top.

P.S. Vista is my favourite Windows OS.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Yup. Vista, 7, 8, 10... the most impacting difference between them all, other than UI, is the driver support that is available for each. Vista is made obsolete only by its lack of driver support for modern hardware. Windows 7 currently doesn't have that problem, and so it is very much still a modern OS. But Windows 10 (and I know GoodBytes is gonna cringe when I say this) is pretty much just Vista with a bunch of superficial frills on top.

P.S. Vista is my favourite Windows OS.

Pretty much. The NT kernel version in 10 might say 10.0, but it's really closer to NT 6.4. I've even still seen parts of Windows Vista/7 Basic in 10.

Just now, Daring said:

Pretty much. The NT kernel version in 10 might say 10.0, but it's really closer to NT 6.4. I've even still seen parts of Windows Vista/7 Basic in 10.

I think that the reason why MS has decided to say that Win 10 will be the final Windows (whether that's true or not), is because they realise that now, with so many money-making MS services built in to Win 10, and with data collection, and other monetization, all making MS money not from retail sales of the OS, but just from people using it, that they no longer have to keep finding new ways to re-release Windows Vista every other year in order to continue to be a revenue-generating company. So, when MS say that Windows 10 will be the last Windows, they're kinda saying that Windows Vista is the last version of Windows.