PSA - You only have 7 days to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

GoodBytes
Just now, potoooooooo said:

It's literally an inferior experience in every way

it's not

except DX12 and WDDM2, there is absolutely nothing W7 can't do that W10 can

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's not

except DX12 and WDDM2, there is absolutely nothing W7 can't do that W10 can

Cortana Search? action bar ( really handy ) seriously the time to hate on Win10 is over.  Win 7 is dying off. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

Cortana Search? action bar ( really handy ) seriously the time to hate on Win10 is over.  Win 7 is dying off. 

Cortana works in select countries - really don't need it

that's the only thing you have over W7?!? pathetic 

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Care to elaborate cause I've had many OSes dual booting along side 10.

Windows 8

Windows 7

Ubuntu

Mint

SteamOS

Mac OS X El Capitan 

Heck at one point I had Win 10, Ubuntu & El Capitan triple booting with zero issues. 

Off topic here but how is SteamOS?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, zMeul said:

Oh and support past 2020.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

Oh and support past 2020.  

and you'll come with the same BS when MS releases W1x -_-

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Direct X12

Universal Windows Platform

Cortana - This works in any country so long as you pick your language as US English

Improved GUI

and much more

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, zMeul said:

and you'll come with the same BS when MS releases W1x -_-

http://www.alphr.com/news/enterprise/389698/windows-7-you-can-keep-it-until-2020

I don't post BS.  

Also Windows 10 is said to be their last Windows, please read into something before you post, they are to add to Windows over it's lifetime.  There is no proposed development of Windows 1x only the continued development of Windows 10.

7 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Also Windows 10 is said to be their last Windows

please cut the crap

until MS comes out and gives black and white press release I don't belive in bull crap rumors

33 minutes ago, zMeul said:

please cut the crap

until MS comes out and gives black and white press release I don't belive in bull crap rumors

You mean you don't believe it when they say things? Whoa. what a shocker.

They tell you Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows and you don't believe them?

33 minutes ago, zMeul said:

please cut the crap

Ah, so you know how I feel then about the whole Windows 10 is rubbish rumors.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

@GoodBytes Pro users can differ updates indefinitely through group policy? not just for three months? 

bro if use group policy, you control the system.

Ok guys.

1. zMeul is not interested in Windows 10. And that his decisions. Discussion onto why he might not interested was already done. He expressed his concerns, and people provided information to him. He decided to stick with his decision. This is the end of it. I want none of this anymore.

2. If you think "Windows 10 is the last Windows ever", that is silly. I already expressed this in my main post. You cannot predict the future, and they are MANY things that can happen that will change the direction of 1 person decision. Computers have changed a lot in the past years, and the current model might not sustainable to interesting to consumer 5 or 10 years from now. If you wonder, in the early days computers, companies where renting computer time to process demanding tasks. That was normal back then. And you have companies like IBM offering such subscription. People who subscribe could connect via phone line directly to an IBM server at a specific time for a specific duration (based on which subscription offer you pick), and had the system to you, to send programs to do your mathematical calculations or simulation, and get that answer back. That obviously has changed, but back then, it was all normal. There was no choice, a powerful computer was too expensive for any companies, and they were not entranced as they are now, where only a few hours at best, per week it was used. So why spend millions on one? Basically, my point is, time change, and consumer view changes. Right now the subscription model is the way forward, but in 10 years from you, you have no idea what will happen, maybe people would want disc, physical media again, and not subscriptions anymore. Think it won't happen? It all depends on the economical impact. Back in the 50-60s in the US, you had families of 3 or 4 or even 12 kids, and only 1 person was going to work (usually the husband), and you had 1 car and 1 TV in the household which both costs a fortune. In 1975, I stumble on this, in the US the average wage for a 25 year old is $65,000 (converted to today's inflation). Getting this wage now, at 25.. unless you are a doctor, or run your own business that is successful, or a lawyer, you are dreaming.. not an average. Family needs to have 2 people go to work, and barely make end meat, and families are shrunken to 1-2 kids only because parents spend more time at work, and need to focus on their work over family. We basically make less than before. Heck, before you have a high school degree, that was something. Now you have a bachelor degree, and it's "meh", in a few years people will laugh at you onto why you don't have 3 phD degree to work at McDonalds, assuming those jobs will still exists. By then, assuming the current economy trend continues, people might no longer want subscription, and want to go with pay once, and upgrade when needed. We have no idea what the future will be. Now I don't want to do a debate on "what will be the economic forecast, to know how jobs/wage will be".

My point is: No one knows the future, and believe things will stick is silly. Things always change. And to re-enforced my point, how many companies said something wont' change but end up changing? I can guaranty you, assuming they were still alive, and still doing well, 100%

But what you CAN say, is that there wont' be "Windows 11", in 2 years from now, most likely.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But what you CAN say, is that there wont' be "Windows 11", in 2 years from now, most likely.

I agree that we can only go with what we know.  But that does not change the fact, that at current the statement is factual and will remain so until MS changes their direction.  

Okay, in an attempt to revive the topic, could anyone explain to me how much the user can disable as far as Windows 10 reporting back to Microsoft? I'm kind of fed up with being bullied by Microsoft into getting the upgrade, and I've probably made my way onto almost all of the NSA's watch lists anyways.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Care to elaborate cause I've had many OSes dual booting along side 10.

Windows 8

Windows 7

Ubuntu

Mint

SteamOS

Mac OS X El Capitan 

Heck at one point I had Win 10, Ubuntu & El Capitan triple booting with zero issues. 

I was corrupting my windows 7 dual boot {overwriting a part of the window 7 os) how was you're setup 2 drives or just partitions?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Okay, in an attempt to revive the topic, could anyone explain to me how much the user can disable as far as Windows 10 reporting back to Microsoft? I'm kind of fed up with being bullied by Microsoft into getting the upgrade, and I've probably made my way onto almost all of the NSA's watch lists anyways.

Sure you can use one of many tools to disable it all via a few easy clicks see;

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Here is a comparison list;

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

Just now, Kierax said:

Sure you can use one of many tools to disable it all via a few easy clicks see;

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Here is a comparison list;

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just to make sure as well, when you upgrade your files will theoretically stay intact, correct?

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just to make sure as well, when you upgrade your files will theoretically stay intact, correct?

Yes, it did for me, I came from Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  

10 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

You don't need software.. you are installing stuff you can do by hand, and all found in the Settings panel.

Unlike previous versions of Windows, it can't be fully disabled, even if you dig, but you can reduce it to minimal levels.

All is in the Settings > Privacy. There is really 4 sub tabs in this section you can check:

"General" Where you can disable everything available.  Then you have "Speech, inking & typing" tab where you can disable sending your Cortana voice commands, inking, and typing (with the on-screen keyboard) to Microsoft. Then you have "Account info" (if you don't want apps to use your account name/picture/email), and you have "Feedback & Diagnostics". This last one you cant' disable (hence why I said it can't be fully disabled), but you can set to "Basic"

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You don't need software.. you are installing stuff you can do by hand, and all found in the Settings panel.

Unlike previous versions of Windows, it can't be fully disabled, even if you dig.

All is in the Settings > Privacy. There is really 4 sub tabs in this section you can check:

"General" Where you can disable everything in it.  Then you have "Speech, inking & typing". Then you have "Account info", and you have "Feedback & Diagnostics". This last one you cant' disable, but you can set to "Basic"

Thanks, but I was aware of these settings. I don't like the idea of trusting my OS to just give up sending data like that. I'll still do it, but a secondary program to enforce the OS is always nice.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Off topic here but how is SteamOS?

Dreadful, really dreadful. Slow and clunky, crashes a lot, still has bugs which were present in early builds etc. 

Thing is though, as a gaming platform it's perfectly serviceable and fairly good, BPM isn't as good as the full fat steam client but it does most everything fine (although it's almost impossible to use Steam Workshop in BPM as you can't search the workshop) but as a desktop platform it's just aweful. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Thanks, but I was aware of these settings. I don't like the idea of trusting my OS to just give up sending data like that. I'll still do it, but a secondary program to enforce the OS is always nice.

I concur I believe when I turn things off in the privacy menus etc, that they're off, however running an application seems to be satisfying. It is however, something I've not bothered with this new system.

Windows 10 has come a LONG way, I've enjoyed being an insider as the Windows 10 Anniversary edition has evolved, and I still am on the Fast Ring.  I only hope in time more users will adopt Windows 10 and help it's development forward.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Dreadful, really dreadful. Slow and clunky, crashes a lot, still has bugs which were present in early builds etc. 

Thing is though, as a gaming platform it's perfectly serviceable and fairly good, BPM isn't as good as the full fat steam client but it does most everything fine (although it's almost impossible to use Steam Workshop in BPM as you can't search the workshop) but as a desktop platform it's just aweful. 

So you'd recommend using a Linux distro and running the steam client  instead of that?