PSA - You only have 7 days to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

GoodBytes
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip

mass data harvesting, my bad

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@GoodBytes Pro users can differ updates indefinitely through group policy? not just for three months? 

I am talking about the the Differ update check mark under the Settings panel.

Only Enterprise edition can differ updates indefinitely (well, it is really Windows Server that picks up updates, and if approved by IT, sends it to all companies computer that needs it, and installs them), to my knowledge.

Can I install an empty hardrive and install windows 7 then upgrade to 10,just to activate the upgrade.I already have windows 7 install but dont want to install to my main drive yet using the same key?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

mass data harvesting, my bad

That is understandable.

4 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Did they do extensions before? I think I remember hearing about that in the news or something. 

Microsoft never did any extensions to any Windows upgrade offers in the past.

So based on that behaviors, I don't see them doing it now. Especially that, from understanding, the board of directors and investors where against the idea of Windows for free. I am sure that Satya (current CEO of Microsoft) did some good convincing to have it for free for 1 year, probably with the promise of sales from the Store after to make it up.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip

Hmmmmm I wonder what it was then >.>

4 minutes ago, pcexplosion said:

Can I install an empty hardrive and install windows 7 then upgrade to 10,just to activate the upgrade.I already have windows 7 install but dont want to install to my main drive yet using the same key?

Yes you can.

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Telemetry data collecting is not spying. Spying means that it tries to identify you, get your personal information and monitor what you are doing usually to find something incriminating.

Telemetry data collecting is about collecting information from a bunch of people on how they use their system, without as a goal to get personal information, and data charts is generated from it. For example: Heat maps of where people click on a specific app to get somewhere. Useful to know if they need to restructure the GUI to make it easier to use for instance. It can be used to know system specs, where most people position the task bar, how their multi-monitor setup is arranged, etc.

The only thing that falls in the "spying" is if you use Bing search or Cortana (which uses Bing). Much like Google, and other web search engine, and Facebook, and Twitter, the way they make money is by collecting market data and sale it. Stuff like "99% of people of group age 18-25, likes spatulas", which many market data or companies directly buys, and so that you have companies like, say, Valve, going "Ahh! We will  now produce Spatulas! We will put the R&D in, and we will make the best spatulas and it will sell very well, because 99% of age 18-25 wants them, and we also know from the data that they'll see value and buy if we sell it at 2$ each".

Telemetry data collecting is not new to Windows. It started with Windows XP. The big difference is that now, the Privacy policy is written in plain English, and doesn't require a team of lawyers to properly understand, so now click-bait sites and YouTuber's, pull the "freak out" approach. So really if you want to get out completely from it, without any trace of any tracking you have to go back to Windows 2000 (assuming you want to use Windows), and you can also never use services and software from Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. This includes, Chrome which does actually track sites you go and ties it all with your Google account (and from there it has your name, and your friends). You have to switch to Firefox, or (so far) Opera.

1) They've done so in the past, others do it to, etc. Are not justifications

2) Concentrating all data, even if not personable identifiable information is available, is a security risk: One can pretty accurately deduce someone's identity with just enough metadata. This is basic intelligence work really, instead of now following paper trails, bank statements, tax reports etc. It's all concentrated quickly within a few well aimed queries to a database that more easily correlates and such

3) Even if Microsoft has 0 intentions of sharing this with Law enforcement we know already that they can be compelled and even forced to do so by highly inconsitutional secret court orders, completely without due process, only under the most tenuous of suspicions of terrorism and such.

4)  Microsoft doesn't needs to do anything wrong themselves to still cause great damage to all users because you just simply shouldn't gather and concentrate so much information is a security liability from a 100% pragmatic viewpoint regardless of personal or political opinions on points 1 through 3.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, gFrenken97 said:

Tell me, have you ever visited a webpage?

Because that's all it takes for all of your info to end up in a file to be used for personal advertisements.

Sick burns 2016 

10/10 would read again

3 minutes ago, Sumsar said:

Indeed worrying, however with the internet surpassing a mobile phone for the sheer power of communication, and information movement, it bypasses conventional mail, and phone networks in a way which leaves old fashioned detective work out of a job! 

Somewhere along the line to keep the peace, a better more sophisticated way to manage the growth of the internet and manage the various crimes which have evolved to utilise this new tool.  Sure it can be abused, to better sell us items we don't need, and can't afford.  But overall, I do wonder how many times these tools have saved us from disaster, to which we the public have no idea.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am talking about the the Differ update check mark under the Settings panel.

Only Enterprise edition can differ updates indefinitely (well, it is really Windows Server that picks up updates, and if approved by IT, sends it to all companies computer that needs it, and installs them), to my knowledge.

I'm almost positive you can differ updates indefinitely through a group policy in 10 Pro and Education. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Will is still work after the 29th if you have an iso and use the public key?

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm almost positive you can differ updates indefinitely through a group policy in 10 Pro and Education. 

Seems 8 months is the tops according to this article ;

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-take-control-of-windows-10-updates-and-upgrades-even-if-you-dont-own-a-business/

2. The Current Branch for Business can be several months behind the Current Branch, which is released to consumers and small businesses via Windows Update. (Sometimes, as with version 1511, the releases are simultaneous.) You can delay the upgrade by up to eight months, in increments of one month, using the option here.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Will is still work after the 29th if you have an iso and use the public key?

I'm pretty sure you need to upgrade your w7/8.1 license to w10 first (and then after that your w7/8.1 license will work for a fresh install of w10 forever)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I'm pretty sure you need to upgrade your w7/8.1 license to w10 first (and then after that your w7/8.1 license will work for a fresh install of w10 forever)

I'll have to try that after the 29th and see.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I'll have to try that after the 29th and see.

You need to do the upgrade before the 29th*

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You need to do the upgrade before the 29th*

Well I'm talking about trying to install it after the 29th. Not as an upgrade however, as a straight install.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Well I'm talking about trying to install it after the 29th. Not as an upgrade however, as a straight install.

Well, after you use your free upgrade your w7/8.1 license essentially becomes a valid w10 license. So I can't see any reason why that would stop working after the 29th. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@GoodBytes You can also do more stuff  :)

PostCeption :D

postception.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, gFrenken97 said:

Just sayin'.. it's now or never if you want a free upgrade ;)

people had 1y to upgrade, do you actually think the last week will change their minds!? :dry:

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

people had 1y to upgrade, do you actually think the last week will change their minds!? :dry:

It did for me, although I decided months ago that I was going to wait until right before the upgrade window ended to actually upgrade. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I am waiting on the influx of "how do I do this on Windows 10" posts.

41 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I am waiting on the influx of "how do I do this on Windows 10" posts.

simply, you revert back to W7 xD

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

simply, you revert back to W7 xD

Why do you hate windows 10? It's literally an inferior experience in every way. Not to mention you're still getting "spied on" in windows 7 and 8

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

If they fixed dual boot issues I'd consider it, but currently I'll pass

Care to elaborate cause I've had many OSes dual booting along side 10.

Windows 8

Windows 7

Ubuntu

Mint

SteamOS

Mac OS X El Capitan 

Heck at one point I had Win 10, Ubuntu & El Capitan triple booting with zero issues. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)