SPLIT: World's Only Earbuds With "No Strings Attached"

Split is a standalone audio player that fits in your ears; it works without any cables and without Bluetooth. Split is a hands free player: You change track and volume with gentle "bite clicks". These ear buds are powered off of button cell batteries, and you upload and recharge them via USB.

The earbuds detects jaw movements using a three-axis accelerometer
One bite changes tracks and two bites changes the volume
Tapping the right earbud deactivates the control if you want to talk or eat

72100c50e18a16831fdc37982ec3692d_large.p

They're currently running a Kickstarter, and a pledge of $169 will be rewarded with one pair of Split earphones (256 MB) in a color of your choice. Choose from citrus, purple, pearl or black. The developers are expecting to complete these ear buds between April and June 2014:
3c9137416a3a2284dd213e35a2e96769_large.j

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Some features of our current prototypes:
Processor: ARM Cortex M3 32bit
Memory: NOR Flash, capacity from 64MB to 256MB
Max Audio Output Power per channel: 20mW
Audio Amplifier SNR: 100dB
Speaker Type: 6mm Neodymium Dynamic Driver
Frequency response: 20Hz-20,000Hz
Sensitivity (1kHz): 105dB/mW
Speaker impedance 16 Ohm

Currently, it can only hold about 24-25 songs, assuming each song is about 5mins long and is encoded in 320kbps MP3. But as flash memory technology improves, I'm sure the capacity will increase within the near future!

Read more

256mb... I'll just let that sink in. That's not even 1 flac album. Granted, good idea, but still has flaws. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Why not make one of them slightly larger and add a Bluetooth module?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

256mb... I'll just let that sink in. That's not even 1 flac album. Granted, good idea, but still has flaws. 

I doubt these are enough high enough quality for FLAC to be even worth it.

Cool, but what happens when you listening to music munching on a baconator?

It covered this in the post.....

Why not make one of them slightly larger and add a Bluetooth module?

Probably because it would be more than just slightly bigger.

@unitus77 Tapping the right earbud deactivates the control if you want to talk or eat/chew gum

@nishank93 These earbuds are standalone music players. They don't sync with your external music player.

@ExonHD Devs say they invested lots of time in the audio quality...It does provide 100dB SNR, but there are other factors that one has to take into account.

@nishank93 These earbuds are standalone music players. They don't sync with your external music player.

Yes, but with 256MB of storage (at most 50 songs), and with pretty much everyone owning a smartphone, wouldn't Bluetooth be an more preferable alternative? (unless of course increasing storage is not a problem or Bluetooth modules are far too large)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

Yes, but with 256MB of storage (at most 50 songs), and with pretty much everyone owning a smartphone, wouldn't Bluetooth be an more preferable alternative? (unless of course increasing storage is not a problem or Bluetooth modules are far too large)

I could see it being practical when you're out for a jog/playing some sports and you don't want wires dangling around into a smartphone where your hands can easily catch onto them.

It looks cool but I wouldn't use it

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Well it is the first iteration I assume, but 25 songs, cell batteries so probably a short life and the controlls... tbh not for me. Would be better if you could use wireless one connected to your phone or something

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

how many minutes of battery life does it have?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

xD this could never handle my FLAC library

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

It'd be cool trying them out... one day... until you loose them and it runs out of battery

144Hz goodness

how many minutes of battery life does it have?

About 4 Hours at the moment. As for recharging it, it currently takes about 2.5 hours to reach 85% charge and another 2hours to reach 100%.

About 4 Hours at the moment. As for recharging it, it currently takes about 2.5 hours to reach 85% charge and another 2hours to reach 100%.

that's a lot better than I had thought actually.. not bad

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I could see it being practical when you're out for a jog/playing some sports and you don't want wires dangling around into a smartphone where your hands can easily catch onto them.

Yes, I love the idea and always thought why this sort of a product isn't more common, but I again thought that when someone does it, it would either have greater storage or access a library presumably on one's phone through some wireless means.

Great when they fall out. *Stops bike in traffic* "OH GOD WHERE ARE THEY?"

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I think I'd rather have a Bluetooth headphones. I could barely get through a eighth of my library with that. Although the theory is pretty interesting.

Back from the dead....

@nicholaswillems

Their FAQ states:

Will the earphones fall off during exercise or running?

The earphones are remarkably stable once in place, due to the fact that the cable weight and cable tension are gone. If the silicon sleeve is of the proper size and the fit is good they should not fall easily. We have not tried the earphones on thousands of users, but so far our tests at the gym and running in the outdoors are a success.

I'd agree with them. Cable weight and tension are gone, so it'd be the same idea as having earplugs in place. But I could see it being a problem if they do fall out :c

I think if you had like earmuffs or something, then that would prevent you from loosing them, but then again, that may defeat the purpose of it in the first place...