Which X99 board and RAM?

Hey guys,

Can you recommend me a X99 board? I'm gonna be using a 5820K and I'm definitely gonna overclock it. I'm gonna get a second 1070, when SLi is better optimized, so it should be a board that can handle that too.

Other than that, I have no idea whats needed or good. So I would appreciate if you could help me out. 

I would like to keep the price at around $300, if thats possible, and I'm gonna buy my hardware through Pricerunner.dk

Also, I dont know which DDR4 RAM I should get? I'm thinking I'm gonna get 16 GB, but if you could recommend me some there too, that would be awesome.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

The cheapest one you like the looks of. The worst x99 board is better than most mid-tier z170 board in build quality and componentry.

All boards will handle sli (matx/atx).

I'd recommend a 4x4 kit (of any speed.) For Haswell-E running quad channel ram speed does NOT MATTER (quad channel has SO much extra bandwidth). If you feel you must use a 2x8 kit then grab a 2666 cl15 or faster kit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

what features do you want and shop according to that. also im somewhat of a gskill fanboy but buy ram you think looks good for a good price

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The cheapest one you like the looks of. The worst x99 board is better than most mid-tier z170 board in build quality and componentry.

All boards will handle sli (matx/atx).

I'd recommend a 4x4 kit (of any speed.) For Haswell-E running quad channel ram speed does NOT MATTER (quad channel has SO much extra bandwidth). If you feel you must use a 2x8 kit then grab a 2666 cl15 or faster kit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial

Thanks. So you would recommend me quad over dual channel?

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

what features do you want and shop according to that. also im somewhat of a gskill fanboy but buy ram you think looks good for a good price

I dont know which features thats good to have to be honest.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

1 minute ago, Bugses said:

do you expect to be using m.2 ssds? then get one with a m.2 slot. usb 3.1? dual bios? RGB LEDs?

4 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Yes. A 4x4 kit of 2400 ram over a higher priced higher speed 2x8 kit.

There are no particular features you need to think about honestly. Almost all the x99 boards have usb 3.1, all have a m.2 slot, all support sli (atx/matx), all have plenty of other crap.

The only think you might consider is a board with onboard wifi, but pcie wifi chips are cheap (like 30 dollars).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

do you expect to be using m.2 ssds? then get one with a m.2 slot. usb 3.1? dual bios? RGB LEDs?

LEDs dosent matter, as I'm not getting a windowed case. 

m.2 SSDs are those crazy SSDs right? Arent they really expensive?

USB 3.1 I dont know. The only possible thing I could imagine using that for, would be charging my phone, haha.

I cant see what I can use dual BIOS for.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yes. A 4x4 kit of 2400 ram over a higher priced higher speed 2x8 kit.

There are no particular features you need to think about honestly. Almost all the x99 boards have usb 3.1, all have a m.2 slot, all support sli (atx/matx), all have plenty of other crap.

The only think you might consider is a board with onboard wifi, but pcie wifi chips are cheap (like 30 dollars).

Roger that. I'm thinking about the ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1, but it dosent seem to get overly positive reviews. I'm building quite a expensive system here, so I would hate to make a stupid choice.

4 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Roger that. I'm thinking about the ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1, but it dosent seem to get overly positive reviews. I'm building quite a expensive system here, so I would hate to make a stupid choice.

It's a totally fine board. I'm more partial to MSI's X99a SLI plus myself but either one is quite good.

EDIT: Asus had some QC issues with their first batches of x99 mobo's. That is why the reviews look so poor.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

19 minutes ago, Bugses said:

LEDs dosent matter, as I'm not getting a windowed case. 

m.2 SSDs are those crazy SSDs right? Arent they really expensive?

USB 3.1 I dont know. The only possible thing I could imagine using that for, would be charging my phone, haha.

I cant see what I can use dual BIOS for.

M.2 SSDs come in all different prices and performance, you have regular drives that have similar cost per GB of the standard sata 6gbps drives, on those speed is the same (usually 23-30 cents per gig). However there are also PCIe enabled M.2 SSDs which are faster (also more costly, around 50 cents per gig), and then there are NVMe M.2 SSDs which are the crazy fast expensive ones (over 70 cents per gig).

You would want fast USB if you ever end up getting fast external storage.

Dual Bios is very useful. If you update your bios (which you would want to do on some models) and it goes wrong (error during the process, corrupted data on the USB drive, blackout on your house, etc) the PC won't turn back on (as it has no bios). To prevent bricking the device manufacturers add either Dual Bios (you switch to the other if you screw it up), or have bios flashback features that allow to you to return to the default bios if you screwed up. Usually cheaper/less featured boards don't have any of this.  

42 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It's a totally fine board. I'm more partial to MSI's X99a SLI plus myself but either one is quite good.

EDIT: Asus had some QC issues with their first batches of x99 mobo's. That is why the reviews look so poor.

Thanks for the heads up :)

23 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

M.2 SSDs come in all different prices and performance, you have regular drives that have similar cost per GB of the standard sata 6gbps drives, on those speed is the same (usually 23-30 cents per gig). However there are also PCIe enabled M.2 SSDs which are faster (also more costly, around 50 cents per gig), and then there are NVMe M.2 SSDs which are the crazy fast expensive ones (over 70 cents per gig).

You would want fast USB if you ever end up getting fast external storage.

Dual Bios is very useful. If you update your bios (which you would want to do on some models) and it goes wrong (error during the process, corrupted data on the USB drive, blackout on your house, etc) the PC won't turn back on (as it has no bios). To prevent bricking the device manufacturers add either Dual Bios (you switch to the other if you screw it up), or have bios flashback features that allow to you to return to the default bios if you screwed up. Usually cheaper/less featured boards don't have any of this.  

You seem to know a lot about the topic, so thanks for elaborating. Could you recommend a board too?

24 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Thanks for the heads up :)

You seem to know a lot about the topic, so thanks for elaborating. Could you recommend a board too?

The only X99 board I have hands on experience with is the MSI X99A SLI PLUS (USB 3.1 variant). I built and OC'd the system for someone else and everything was really smooth, no errors, no weird stuff, the board worked great and OC'd as expected. If I was building a X99 system for myself I'd probably get the MSI SLI PLUS, it's one of the cheaper boards available and it has pretty much everything, it even looks better than most with that plain black style.

The only critique I have for it is the way the PCIe slots are wired. The 2 first X16 slots are wired as x16, and the third is x8. Meaning that if you want 2-way SLI with both GPUs running at X16 (the 5820k doesn't support this many lanes, 5930k and better do) you need to put them on the slots closer to the other (which leads to higher temperatures on an air cooled GPU for the top slot). Or stay with a 16x 8x config. Even though there isn't really perceivable difference for SLI setups running at 16x16x against 8x8x, you might still want to run them like that. My critique is really minor and doesn't affect you (as you want a 5820k).

The Asus X99-A (also comes in a USB 3.1 variant for like $10 difference) seems like a solid board. I have no experiences with it, but I do with other modern Asus boards, and I have to say I really like their BIOS design, it gives you the feel it's easy to work with and it has tons of features.

6 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

The only X99 board I have hands on experience with is the MSI X99A SLI PLUS (USB 3.1 variant). I built and OC'd the system for someone else and everything was really smooth, no errors, no weird stuff, the board worked great and OC'd as expected. If I was building a X99 system for myself I'd probably get the MSI SLI PLUS, it's one of the cheaper boards available and it has pretty much everything, it even looks better than most with that plain black style.

The only critique I have for it is the way the PCIe slots are wired. The 2 first X16 slots are wired as x16, and the third is x8. Meaning that if you want 2-way SLI with both GPUs running at X16 (the 5820k doesn't support this many lanes, 5930k and better do) you need to put them on the slots closer to the other (which leads to higher temperatures on an air cooled GPU for the top slot). Or stay with a 16x 8x config. Even though there isn't really perceivable difference for SLI setups running at 16x16x against 8x8x, you might still want to run them like that. My critique is really minor and doesn't affect you (as you want a 5820k).

The Asus X99-A (also comes in a USB 3.1 variant for like $10 difference) seems like a solid board. I have no experiences with it, but I do with other modern Asus boards, and I have to say I really like their BIOS design, it gives you the feel it's easy to work with and it has tons of features.

Thanks a lot, thats really helpful. 

So I will be able to SLI and maybe get a M.2 SSD with a 5820K right?

Also, would 4x4 GB of Corsair PC4-21300 be alright? Its the Vengeance ones.

12 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Thanks a lot, thats really helpful. 

So I will be able to SLI and maybe get a M.2 SSD with a 5820K right?

Also, would 4x4 GB of Corsair PC4-21300 be alright? Its the Vengeance ones.

Yup, both compatible.

15 minutes ago, lukart said:

The latest X99 revision just came up online with some articles...

Seems like a great board, if only there were a release date :D

7 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

Yup, both compatible.

Cool, thanks :)

2 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Seems like a great board, if only there were a release date :D

Cool, thanks :)

I think its coming soon in newegg... if the reviews are showing up I guess one or 2 wks the most and they will be available.

Gigabyte X99 Ultra gaming.

Very sollid board with a decent VRM implementation.

8 true phase fully digital implementation from IR.

1 hour ago, lukart said:

The latest X99 revision just came up online with some articles...

Yeah Bryan did a cool review on this new Asrock board.

Tobad that he isnt that well educated as far as the VRM implementation goes.

Because at that part he is completely wrong.

The vrm on this board is not 8 phases for cpu and 4 phases for dram, as what he says.

This board uses 3 ISL6379 pwm´s, which are 6+1 true phase analog hybrid pwm´s.

The first ISL6379 is used for the cpu main vrm, and is 6 true phases doubled to 12 pwm (virtual) phases using 6x ISL6611A phase doublers.

Those other 2 ISL6379 pwm´s are used for the memory VRM.

One for the left set of dimm slots, and the other for the right set of dimm slots.

2 phases of each pwm is used for Dram.

9 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Gigabyte X99 Ultra gaming.

Very sollid board with a decent VRM implementation.

8 true phase fully digital implementation from IR.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Could you explain to me, what justifies spending $360 on that board, versus $230 on the MSI X99A SLI PLUS or $295 on the ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1?

I have been using the X99 Extreme4 from AsRock and I have no complaints so far.... I think you can pick it up for around $170-$200

The X99-A is also a good option but it costs way more... 

Some think that the Gigabyte board has bad on-board audio

Some guy's budget X99 board from MSI blew up

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

You might also want to take a look at that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-x99-haswell-e-overclocking,3934.html

It's is a comparison of the cheapest X99 boards... 

But if you want the best of the best, get the X99 Deluxe... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

24 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I have been using the X99 Extreme4 from AsRock and I have no complaints so far.... I think you can pick it up for around $170-$200

The X99-A is also a good option but it costs way more... 

Some think that the Gigabyte board has bad on-board audio

Some guy's budget X99 board from MSI blew up

And I'm all-in for saving money. I just dont want to gimp my system too much, by saving some money.

1 hour ago, Bugses said:

And I'm all-in for saving money. I just dont want to gimp my system too much, by saving some money.

Then I think an AsRock X99 Extreme4 might be a good option... (Because)

In addition, the X99 Extreme4, is a X99 Extreme6 without the second lan and some other connectivity options...

Otherwise an ASUS X99-A is a good option as well

If you live in Europe though, the ASUS Boards are not as worth it... I visited amazon.de (to represent prices in € )

The X99 Extreme4 costs €200

The X99 Extreme6 costs €235

The X99-A costs €251

If you live in the US, it's up to you to decide if $25 more for the X99-A is worth it...

If you live in Europe... €50 more for the X99-A is not worth it in my opinion

The Extreme4 is an extremely good board, especially for the money!

(This is the reason I bought it after all)