are we going to see the first terahertz cpu in the future

are we going to see the first terahertz or even petahertz in the future or are we just going to add more cores

Manners Maketh Man

moar corzzzzzzzzzzzzz. probably... parallel processing should result in better performance for just about everything if the program is coded well. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Both numbers will go up. But we don't even know if we'll stick with this type of CPU architecture for long enough to reach that level. What if tomorrow we start using quantum computers or find some other way of designing CPU architectures that don't use the concept of cores or even don't run at a frequency like today? Like a new CPU that runs at 500Mhz but it's way more powerful than any i7 out there etc. You never know how/when technology is going to change

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Maybe. When we are all dead.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If you make this, will you get the Noble Peace Prize?

AMD FX 6300 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ | HITACHI ULTRASTAR 1TB 7200RPM HDD | XFX RADEON HD 7950 3GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 MUSHKIN BLACKLINE | OCZ ZT 550W 80+ BRONZE PSU | ZALMAN Z5 PLUS CASE | LITE-ON iHDS118-04 DVD/CD DRIVE | BENQ GW2255 21.5" MONITOR

At some point in the future it is almost guaranteed that we will. Unless everyone suddenly becomes content with what we have and do not require anything to be faster or more efficient.

After a certain point, clock speed alone can only do so much. It's cores that will be the way of the future.

Maybe. When we are all dead.

i like your way of thinking

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

We have gone from 2GHZ to 5GHZ in 5-7 years, so I doubt it

Don't remind me..I went on a 5ghz run again on this 2 year old chip and the voltage + small heatsink with x2 92mm fans..let's say that didn't go very well. :P

And we will have no need for those sorts of speeds as we will reach a point where we will find no noticeable difference in speed.

And we will have no need for those sorts of speeds as we will reach a point where we will find no noticeable difference in speed.

It's getting that way now.

With all the performance increases in chips, a cpu that is a few years old can match it's replacement's performance if it shares the same number of cores/threads when overclocked enough. (Kinda like Gen 1 chip at 4.6ghz is the same performance of Gen 2 chip at 4.2ghz) That isn't a very big improvement in my eyes. It's only when you start adding more cores on top of that is when performance starts to shine.

More bits not cores, a 128bit cpu should be more efficient than a 64 bit cpu.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i like your way of thinking

:)

Well, we're sure not going to see it at any other time.

This guy. I like him.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

are we going to see the first terahertz or even petahertz in the future or are we just going to add more cores

At one gigahertz, light can only move about a foot, per clock(1 light-nanosecond). with 10ghz you are reaching a clock speed so fast light(or electrons) cant cant reach the other end of the chip before the next cycle. that is about the limit. Unless we move to another form of computing, we will be limited by this.

I see, in the near future, more cores/threads being able to make up for it, but there is only so many you can put onto one chip.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Companies are already experimenting with materials like graphite I believe. Using such materials allows them to achieve amazing clock speeds.

actually it's called graphene and it's going to change everything if they let it that is.

actually it's called graphene and it's going to change everything if they let it that is.

not really, still limited by the speed of light

not really, still limited by the speed of light

And speed of light matters how? Graphene will probably enable smaller processes and much greater frequencies (x10) compared to silicon, and that will be pretty significant. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

And speed of light matters how? Graphene will probably enable smaller processes and much greater frequencies (x10) compared to silicon, and that will be pretty significant. 

but, there will be a limitation on how fast the processor can retrieve and send information. when you hit the physical limit on a processors capability to send information across it, higher clock speed is not going to help

but, there will be a limitation on how fast the processor can retrieve and send information. when you hit the physical limit on a processors capability to send information across it, higher clock speed is not going to help

But what about those processors that would use light instead of electricity to transfer data? I can't remember what they're called, photon processors? Anyway, like I said, it's a processor which would use light to process data instead of electricity. That would eliminate crosstalk interference, and heat output. And would enable use of more light beams parallel. That's all I remember, it's a concept, but a very plausable one.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

That limit is VERY hypothetical at this point in time, not getting there anytime soon. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!