Star Citizen Refunds Pledge

sTizzl

i would think that anyone who backs a product whether it be digital or physical, would understand that you will not be getting your money back, but this backer brings up an interesting point that the game is no longer what he originally purchased. personally i haven't kept up with star citizen that much so i can comment on what it promised vs what it is now, but i think this could set a dangerous precedent, almost guaranteed a lawsuit with similar circumstances will be raised in the future.

now take it a step further, could i return my 2nd gen ipad for a full refund because the iOS experience is no longer what i originally purchased now that after multiple IOS updates its running slower and slower on the bulkier platform? or how about an iphone 4 that doesnt even get updates anymore.

i know i know this may be apples and oranges, and on a side note i am not an apple fanboy, 1+1 daily driver.

Link:

http://gamerant.com/star-citizen-refund-crowdfund/

Any refunds with respect to Star Citizen are made on a discretionary basis. There was nothing special about this situation. The fact that this particular party used a complaint form that is online and openly available, doesn’t make this any different.

u raise some good points there

its taking a hella long time to get this game released

also " Star Citizen’s full release is expected sometime in 2016 "

my ass last time i checked only a small % was playable and its still alpha

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

17 minutes ago, qwertywarrior said:

u raise some good points there

its taking a hella long time to get this game released

also " Star Citizen’s full release is expected sometime in 2016 "

my ass last time i checked only a small % was playable and its still alpha

To be fair, as far as I'm aware the actual original kickstarter goal, which was the single-player game ONLY, is slowly nearing completions and has a lot of features actually implemented. I feel a lot of people forget that the original game pitch and goal was the SINGLE PLAYER game, not the MMO every seems to be excited about.

What we have access to right now is the online module, that while also important, is to be completed AFTER the first single player chapter.

*insert shameless plug to use my referral code to create a SC account*

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

To be fair, as far as I'm aware the actual original kickstarter goal, which was the single-player game ONLY, is slowly nearing completions and has a lot of features actually implemented. I feel a lot of people forget that the original game pitch and goal was the SINGLE PLAYER game, not the MMO every seems to be excited about.

What we have access to right now is the online module, that while also important, is to be completed AFTER the first single player chapter.

but didnt they have stretch goals in the kickstarter for an mmo ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Gotta have a summary of the article, and some quotes from the source that outline it.

Other than that, yes; it does set a dangerous precedent, and it most certainly brings up the possibility for future claims, hopefully making some of those programs a little more honest with how they go about their business.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 minutes ago, qwertywarrior said:

but didnt they have stretch goals in the kickstarter for an mmo ?

I'm looking at the page right now, but I don't see anything about an MMO there. I think if might have been a later website-goal. That, or I'm blind.

Edit: nevermind, I'm blind.

0Vy4BQ7.png

However, the campaign does explicitly say it's NOT an MMO, so I think the original campaign actually only included Squadron 42 (the single-player) with the persistence universe and the drop-in/out co-op, though I'm NOT sure. Can someone who's more into SC clarify?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

FUNDS RAISED
$117,361,531

Time 4 years

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

13 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

FUNDS RAISED
$117,361,531

Time 4 years

i would say its still worth it .

its gonna be a great game  .... a few years from now

^^The technical challenges they have overcome so far do give me faith that based on the current direction they will get this game finished in impressive manner.

I just hope it will be fun to play as well.

I think he's fully entitled to a refund. The game has been dragging on and on with no actual release. A friend of mine also pledged money, and he looked through some stuff and they stated the game would be released within 18 months (something to that affect, we were drinking during his rant).

7 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

However, the campaign does explicitly say it's NOT an MMO, so I think the original campaign actually only included Squadron 42 (the single-player) with the persistence universe and the drop-in/out co-op, though I'm NOT sure. Can someone who's more into SC clarify?

I'm pretty sure the MMO style game was first, and the Squadron 42 was second. It was never supposed to be a spin off stand alone title.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Alright, so, I closely follow the SC project, and this specific case has been talked about in a couple of community places. The user that got the refund in question did an AMA on a SC-drama related subreddit.

- The user gave $2500 to the project in 2014 and never downloaded the alpha. Since 2014 all he's done is watch the occasional youtube video

- The user hasn't enjoyed the focus on new ships in the past few months (as resources have been freed from SQ42 to allow for new ships to be released at a faster pace)

- The California Attorney General’s office just forwarded the complaint and had very little to do with the process

- He disagreed with the new ToS that disallows refunds unless within the 14 day purchase window or if there was complete project failure

- The old ToS was basically identical and still disallowed refunds past the 14 day window, as the money had been considered "used" for the development of the game.

- The user basically tried to get a refund for a 2 year old pledge on the basis of disagreeing with the new ToS when he already agreed to the previous one. CIG was well within their right to refuse it.

- The user treated backing the game as a pre-order instead a pledge and didn't bother reading the ToS in the first place.

Untitled.png

CIG refunded him as they've done previously to public annoyances.

CIG currently employees over 300 people across 5 studios in 3 countries, and their staff includes veterans of Crytek, Blizzard, Activision, and the LEGO games to name a few. There's even a free flight event going on right now if you'd like to try the alpha for free. It's far from a "scam".

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

49 minutes ago, Hawx said:

Alright, so, I closely follow the SC project, and this specific case has been talked about in a couple of community places. The user that got the refund in question did an AMA on a SC-drama related subreddit.

- The user gave $2500 to the project in 2014 and never downloaded the alpha. Since 2014 all he's done is watch the occasional youtube video

- The user hasn't enjoyed the focus on new ships in the past few months (as resources have been freed from SQ42 to allow for new ships to be released at a faster pace)

- The California Attorney General’s office just forwarded the complaint and had very little to do with the process

- He disagreed with the new ToS that disallows refunds unless within the 14 day purchase window or if there was complete project failure

- The old ToS was basically identical and still disallowed refunds past the 14 day window, as the money had been considered "used" for the development of the game.

- The user basically tried to get a refund for a 2 year old pledge on the basis of disagreeing with the new ToS when he already agreed to the previous one. CIG was well within their right to refuse it.

- The user treated backing the game as a pre-order instead a pledge and didn't bother reading the ToS in the first place.

Untitled.png

CIG refunded him as they've done previously to public annoyances.

CIG currently employees over 300 people across 5 studios in 3 countries, and their staff includes veterans of Crytek, Blizzard, Activision, and the LEGO games to name a few. There's even a free flight event going on right now if you'd like to try the alpha for free. It's far from a "scam".

That's a lot of misinformation. The old terms specifically promised a refund if the game wasn't available within a certain timeframe (18 months).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-star-citizen-terms-of-service-update-makes-it-a-bit-harder-to-get-a-refund

Tbh anyone that spends that amount of money on "backing" something that might not potentially come out or be as good as advertised deserves no refund lol

All I did was bought 2 ships which both cost me under £80 and I have been happily playing the alpha ever since it's initial release.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

I just think it's funny I purchased my R9 290 Tri-X back in 2013, chose StarCitizen as one of my free games to come along my GPU. Still in the making then, still hasn't fully released yet. Hehehe.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Gotta have a summary of the article, and some quotes from the source that outline it.

Other than that, yes; it does set a dangerous precedent, and it most certainly brings up the possibility for future claims, hopefully making some of those programs a little more honest with how they go about their business.

I know you're talking about Kickstarter games in general, but if the 100s of video updates, 100s of community q&as, 100s of developer updates, and 100s of sneak previews/jump point runs does not prove the transparency of SC then I don't know what will convince people.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I think he's fully entitled to a refund. The game has been dragging on and on with no actual release. A friend of mine also pledged money, and he looked through some stuff and they stated the game would be released within 18 months (something to that affect, we were drinking during his rant).

I'm pretty sure the MMO style game was first, and the Squadron 42 was second. It was never supposed to be a spin off stand alone title.

Incorrect, the single player was the point of the Kickstarter, with the PU being unlocked as a stretch goal to be delivered after SQ42's release.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

17 minutes ago, The_Strict_Nein said:

I know you're talking about Kickstarter games in general, but if the 100s of video updates, 100s of community q&as, 100s of developer updates, and 100s of sneak previews/jump point runs does not prove the transparency of SC then I don't know what will convince people.

They do release a lot of videos, but what do they actually show? Like, this sort of video isn't exactly what I'd call convincing.

43 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's a lot of misinformation. The old terms specifically promised a refund if the game wasn't available within a certain timeframe (18 months).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-star-citizen-terms-of-service-update-makes-it-a-bit-harder-to-get-a-refund

Even eurogamer points out that this part of the ToS has existed since the start:

a separate part of the TOS talks about waiving your right to a refund if the money has already been spent on making the game - which it invariably has. "You agree that any Pledge amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items,"

After 2 years post-pledge that's more than applicable.

15 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

They do release a lot of videos, but what do they actually show? Like, this sort of video isn't exactly what I'd call convincing.

Instead of attempting to flame via that video (which is taken out of a livestream that contained quite a LOT of new content, ironically), you could look at the AtV Episode 100 special, which includes stuff like the Bengal carrier, Grimhex pirate base, and some of the new UI improvements:

etc

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

My only real peeve is that net code. There where some great netcode artists back in the day who could do amazing things with low bandwidth and physics loops hogging up resources and despite netcode being a priority it is still a fecal matter tempest. In my opinion only. 

For all the hype over these amazing people being brought on board I haven't seen CaiG use the way back machine to bring in this sort of industry vet. Although maybe all the old AW, Warbirds, aces high and wwiionline originals are retired. :P

>People think you can make a huge game in less than two years

>They fail to realize most AAA games take anywhere from 4-6 years with ESO taking 7.

I've put about $300 into SC and I'm not upset by the time it is taking to develop. CiG are giving us updates on the progress and have been the entire time. The amount of content in the Alpha right now is SOOOOOO much more than when they started it. Also, why would a dev show you everything in the game before even releasing it to be played. That seems like a terrible idea and would just ruin the experience of actually playing it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

i wonder why people expected it to come out so soon.

a game like this will take years to complete.

you can just compare it to, lets say, gta 5, which rockstar worked how long on?

how did people expect a game like SC to come out within 2 years?

its blowing my mind how stupid some people are..

13 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

>They fail to realize most AAA games take anywhere from 4-6 years with ESO taking 7.

I've put about $300 into SC and I'm not upset by the time it is taking to develop. CiG are giving us updates on the progress and have been the entire time. The amount of content in the Alpha right now is SOOOOOO much more than when they started it. Also, why would a dev show you everything in the game before even releasing it to be played. That seems like a terrible idea and would just ruin the experience of actually playing it.

Yup agreed. I study game-development, the amount of time it takes to get even a simple 2D game working is insane (though, to be fair, we have to code it in C++ and the Box2D engine, not easy to use stuff like Unity.) The fact that they have so much done already amazes me.

I have give or take poured about 300€ into the game as well, though that's where I put the line I'm not crossing (except maybe some hangar flair, but doubtful).

I have a racer, shooter and hauler with some miscellaneous items, which is imo enough. Maximum that I might do is that if some new cool ship comes about I'll melt the 3 I have right now and get the big one.

I want them to wait until 1080ti and fury whatevs are commonly available for Sq42.   ;) Playing the dogfighting bits there is still a lot of polish left to be done. 

36 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Agree

GTA 5 was in development for 7 years and they had up to 1000 people working on it, and it took about a year to port/upgrade. for the scope of SC I can see it being as much or more work then GTA 5.

Also Any on that backs a project or uses kickstarter should realize they are investing NOT pre ordering. you have to be ok with ALL of your investment disappearing. people that trade on the stock market and lose cant get refunds.

I backed Project cars 4 years before it came out. I payed 60ish USD long before anyone knew what it was, and I was fine with how it turned out. It was cool seeing how it progressed. I also backed SC.

The biggest issue I see with SC is that it was hyped WAY WAY to early, were that didn't happen with Project Cars. But the shitty thing is hype helps bring in more funds.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc