Questions about Ethernet wiring

minimoose

So my current setup for my wifi in my house is an RT-N66U as the router and covering about half my house in wifi and then a Ubiquiti AC Lite covering the other half of the house with the same SSID but on a different channel. This works quite well (although the range on the Ubiquiti 5ghz is suprisingly poor) except that the ubiquiti is connected to the router via a power line adapter that only pushes around 30-40 Mbps which is disappointing considering I have 100 Mbps Internet and get the full speed on my N66U. I think the issue lies with my electrical system not the power line adapter so I'd like to run an Ethernet cable under my house from the router to the access point. Getting the cable under my house is easy, but what I'm not clear on is how to terminate the cable as a wall jack in the other room. Do I need to hire an electrician to do that part or is that really easy? Would an electrician cost a lot for this job or is it quick?

There's lots of YouTube videos on terminating Ethernet jacks.  Basically you need the proper jacks, and an appropriate punch-down tool.  Generally you wouldn't get a full-blown 'electrician' to do this sort of work, but someone who does network/data wiring.  A lot cheaper, generally, than a full-blown electrician (and usually more competent at the task as well!).

Its not too hard to do it yourself.  For what you'd probably pay for a single drop to be put into a house, you could buy the punch-down tool and do it yourself quite easily. 

3 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

There's lots of YouTube videos on terminating Ethernet jacks.  Basically you need the proper jacks, and an appropriate punch-down tool.  Generally you wouldn't get a full-blown 'electrician' to do this sort of work, but someone who does network/data wiring.  A lot cheaper, generally, than a full-blown electrician (and usually more competent at the task as well!).

Its not too hard to do it yourself.  For what you'd probably pay for a single drop to be put into a house, you could buy the punch-down tool and do it yourself quite easily. 

But where do you put the jacks? Add them to electrical outlets?

2 minutes ago, minimoose said:

But where do you put the jacks? Add them to electrical outlets?

Well you'd have to install additional junction boxes or at least plastic brackets for the purpose.  Depends upon the kind of wall, of course.  Is it a hollow wall?