GTX 1070 Sudden Loss of Frame Rates

I have a brand new GTX 1070 (MSI Gaming X Version) running with 32GB of Ram and a Corei7 6700. I have seen a few threads with this type of issue where frame rates will inexplicably drop for no apparent reason. Battlefield Hardline was running at +100FPS in Ultra at 1440p (ultrawide) but a day later, suddenly, that performance is gone, now hovering at 50-60. GTAV is showing similar performance issues. On initial start up of the game everything appears to work as normal but then performance drops. Is there a common cause to this (drivers were not updated prior to drop in performance but even a new driver version did nothing to fix it). Benchmarks with Unigine show half the score of other 1070 cards using 1080p as a comparison. Is this a hardware issue with the card, is it it a lemon that needs to go back?

Maybe drivers issue?

I have my GTX 1070 for like 2 weeks now and it's under constant stres all the time.

From 16:00 to 23:00 I'm playing games and GPU is at around 70% usage. From 23:00 to 16:00 it's folding with 100% usage.

No performance decrease or anything.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Hey there OP, these issues are hard to pinpoint. but i have had similar performance issues where in some games my fps has eather gradualy decreased over time (from when i started the game) to unplayable fps. this fixed itself after countless months with updates to different components. and ive gone trough countless tests to what might have caused it. 
i do however have a few suggestions: What Operating system do you use, IF Windows 10. try to see if going backwards in OS works. there are still many cases where the OS
is at fault.
do a test of your ram with memtest86 to rule oute borked ram.
check if your system: gpu/cpu are down throtteling due to termal issues.
check if ALL your drivers are up to date, Or at there most stabile version.
reset all OC's to standard clocks, but turn everything in Nvidia Control panel to performance, and power settings of cpu to 100% to rule out cpu bottleneck.
there are alot more things to test. but these would be some of the easyest. 

id wait a few days/weeks and see if new drivers resolve it. if nothing helps, Rma the card and see if the next one works. best of luck! :)

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10   

thank you, there was a recent Win 10 update in the last day or so, might just be a coincidence though but will give those things a try... doing a full reset on the system anyway so we shall see how it goes...

12 minutes ago, BowlOfPorridge said:

thank you, there was a recent Win 10 update in the last day or so, might just be a coincidence though but will give those things a try... doing a full reset on the system anyway so we shall see how it goes...

Space wouldn't be a problem but would I need some kind of action figure or whatever to support it from below? Just watched Tek Syndicate AMP extreme review - he said it did bend a little in his pc.

5 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

Space wouldn't be a problem but would I need some kind of action figure or whatever to support it from below? Just watched Tek Syndicate AMP extreme review - he said it did bend a little in his pc.

Hahah, What xD? guessing ur suppostedly responding to a msg about gpu sagging?

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10   

1 minute ago, Rothfox said:

Hahah, What xD? guessing ur suppostedly responding to a msg about gpu sagging?

Oh lol, wrong thread. :D

hi, BowlOfPorridge

i also own msi 1070 gaming x myself and i do notice odd random issues from time to time my suggestion is....

is the gpu clock speed at the right speeds as for me the gpu clock speed will lock itself down to 1020mhz for no reason at all (this is how you might notice the 40-50% loss in fps)

for me i just do a dead simple test to get the answer using gpu-z where i would click on the question mark on the middle right side and click start render test after all we need to see what the gpu clock speeds are running at so now double check with the sensors tab and if it does seem lower than the gpu clock or failing to boost over the default gpu clock (both handy with this tip i know) then yeah you've got a slight issue which is dead simple to fix

all you need to do now is download nvidiainspector click on show overclocking click yes you wanna see the overclocking options then click apply defaults.

i must stress you are not overclocking at all since your only forcing it to set the default speeds again

thanks for that information. Just did a system reset (which was coming anyway for work purposes) and the 1070 is now performing as it should (at least in benchmarks from Cinebench) the numbers were way low, a GTX 480(?) was beating it but now it's double the result of a Quadro card, so it would appear some drivers got messed up. Will keep the info above handy in case of future issues though, much appreciated. Will also add miniature Hulk figurine to card to avoid sagging, purely for comic effect! :D

here's an example from last night when i notice the same issue running 3dmark with the dx12 timespy test

running at ~1040mhz (at least in the mid 1000's)

dx12.1ghz.png

running/boosting to 1974mhz (this stock incase you do ask)

properspeed.png

all this was done by the very simple suggestion i said above :) keep in mind sometimes your boost speed might not work for some reason so keep an eye on that

and here it is overclocked to 2.1ghz (gpu clock) and 9ghz on the ram :D 

dx12oc.png