Help me choose a cooler, can only choose from list.

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
5 minutes ago, sdhdok said:

I've heard the NH-D15  described as "you want some computer with that cooler"  frankly i think it might be too big but I'm open to having my mind changed.

How is it too big? It fits in the case just fine. 

Can only choose from this list as i want to buy from a local store. cooling my i7 6700k in a define R4 case. 

single tower, noctua u14s. dual tower noctua d15  (phanteks makes a dual tower cooler almost identical to the d14 with more stylish colors if that may interest you)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

single tower, noctua u14s. dual tower noctua d15  (phanteks makes a dual tower cooler almost identical to the d14 with more stylish colors if that may interest you)

Thanks for the suggestions i have been eyeing the u14s so far its a strong contender to be my cooler, but i hear the thing is pretty big.
Something i forgot to mention, the things on the list that say preorder only mean they're at another store and that they'll ship it to my store free of charge. 

If you have the money to throw around, get a NH-D15. If not, the Frio Silent12 is a cheaper alternative. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you have the money to throw around, get a NH-D15. If not, the Frio Silent12 is a cheaper alternative. 

I've heard the NH-D15  described as "you want some computer with that cooler"  frankly i think it might be too big but I'm open to having my mind changed.

5 minutes ago, sdhdok said:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I guess you're right. if it fits in the case and does the job i can't really complain can i? my only question is. Is it worth the extra $20 when compared to the  u14s

2 minutes ago, sdhdok said:

I guess you're right. if it fits in the case and does the job i can't really complain can i? my only question is. Is it worth the extra $20 when compared to the  u14s

It's worth the extra if you're comfortable with spending that much. Otherwise, the NH-U14S is still an excellent option. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's worth the extra if you're comfortable with spending that much. Otherwise, the NH-U14S is still an excellent option. 

My upcoming build does have a bit of a price/performance ratio that i'm "kinda" trying to stick to. I think i'll go for the NH-U14S. Thanks for your suggestions.

12 hours ago, sdhdok said:

Thanks for the suggestions i have been eyeing the u14s so far its a strong contender to be my cooler, but i hear the thing is pretty big.
Something i forgot to mention, the things on the list that say preorder only mean they're at another store and that they'll ship it to my store free of charge. 

the u14 is tall, but since it's a single tower it's just tall, shouldn't overhang or cause ram issues. the d15 does overhang ram, so can't use tall ram, something like corsair vengance where the heat spreader doesn't make it much taller is good

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 hours ago, Cyracus said:

the u14 is tall, but since it's a single tower it's just tall, shouldn't overhang or cause ram issues. the d15 does overhang ram, so can't use tall ram, something like corsair vengance where the heat spreader doesn't make it much taller is good

I think you're referring to Vengeance LP. Vengeance RAM is stupidly tall. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

indeed I did, my bad

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Cant you simply remove the top fo the RAM, because i had huge ram too and it had two screws for removing the top

4 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Cant you simply remove the top fo the RAM, because i had huge ram too and it had two screws for removing the top

Yes, you can. How easy it is to remove the heatspreaders depends on the model though.

i ordered the noctua NH-U12S for myself today i've watched many reviews and it looks like a pretty good cooler for it's relatively small size...it's 120mm fan and it will end before the ram slots so you can use any RAM with it, even the ones with tall heatsinks on them and you can use all 4 ram sticks if you want.

i've looked at the other bigger ones but decided i didn't need that big of a cooler.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just an update, i ended up going with the NH-U14S and i'm very happy with it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fantastic cooler. 
Just make sure you get it for under $100 AUD (mine cost $95) it's definitely worth that price.