Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Twitch’s shift to HTML5 starts today

15 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Isn't it a bit more now that there are 4K videos coming?

Stop, you're triggering me.

Spoiler

CPU: 4790K || GPU: MSI R9-390X || RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz Red || Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX || MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 || Storage: 2TB Seagate SSHD, 240GB HyperX Fury SSD C9 Edition || PSU: Corsair AX860i || Case: Corsair 760T Red/Black || Fans: 3x Corsair Red LED AF140, 2x Red LED SP140 || Monitors: Triple Dell U2414H held up with Ergotech 100-D16-B03

2 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Stop, you're triggering me.

Blame Linus he's the one advertising 4K for ltt videos :)

5 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Blame Linus he's the one advertising 4K for ltt videos :)

I will.

4K streaming will never be a thing, because of several reasons.

-How many people in the US and Worldwide have access to speeds somewhere up to 10Mbps.

-How many people even use 4K yet.

-How much it honestly matters when watching someone play a game where actually watching 4K matters. (I honestly cant think of a reason to watch someone play past 720p.)

Native 720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps (and maybe 60fps if you're like partnered and have several thousand viewers) is honestly the sweet spot of a vast majority of streamers. There is no reason to go past that.

Spoiler

CPU: 4790K || GPU: MSI R9-390X || RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz Red || Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX || MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 || Storage: 2TB Seagate SSHD, 240GB HyperX Fury SSD C9 Edition || PSU: Corsair AX860i || Case: Corsair 760T Red/Black || Fans: 3x Corsair Red LED AF140, 2x Red LED SP140 || Monitors: Triple Dell U2414H held up with Ergotech 100-D16-B03

I am so glad for the change.

Twitch began to lag brutally sometimes after ads because it suddenly went down to ~5-10 fps on my laptop. I then reload the site and all works fine again.

1 hour ago, MilkJugg24 said:

4K streaming will never be a thing, because of several reasons.

So you know what the state of the Internet will be in 2873?  What about 4921?  What about 10,305?  How about 49,284?

You'd figure that 40,000+ years from now, we would have solved 4K streaming.

1 hour ago, MilkJugg24 said:

lol but yeah you do make some pretty good points.

Anyways, I'm guessing you're talking about this photo from the sauce itself.

Spoiler

akrales_160314_0976_A_0041.0.0.png

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

Finally! About time! Long overdue.

Now they also need to increase bitrate and make it to skip around during livestream. Higher bitrate is definitely needed. 1080p@60fps should be streamed with high enough bitrate so there's no such loss of quality, specially artifacting in fast gameplay action.

Here's official blog post about this update:
https://blog.twitch.tv/html5-player-turbo-beta-starts-today-135d1b7baa65

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

If I'm not mistaken, this should enable the use of h.265 / HEVC, which is something I've been waiting for since the beginning of time.

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

4 hours ago, Xorbot said:

So you know what the state of the Internet will be in 2873?  What about 4921?  What about 10,305?  How about 49,284?

You'd figure that 40,000+ years from now, we would have solved 4K streaming.

I didn't know we were talking about things that we are going to be dead before witnessing.

4K will be for probably things such as movie screens, or local broadcasting at arenas and the larger screens... and then everyone outside of the LAN will be watching a downscaled broadcast deemed appropriate to the host's bitrate.

4 hours ago, wcreek said:

lol but yeah you do make some pretty good points.

Anyways, I'm guessing you're talking about this photo from the sauce itself.

Reveal hidden contents

akrales_160314_0976_A_0041.0.0.png

Yes. But apparently they were able to figure out the screenshot tool for the 2nd picture in the article

Also, I was mistaken, he was just browsing TC: The Division, but the streamer kind of happened to show up in the picture, and he is a variety streamer partnered, but not paid by twitch.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Finally! About time! Long overdue.

Now they also need to increase bitrate and make it to skip around during livestream. Higher bitrate is definitely needed. 1080p@60fps should be streamed with high enough bitrate so there's no such loss of quality, specially artifacting in fast gameplay action.

Here's official blog post about this update:
https://blog.twitch.tv/html5-player-turbo-beta-starts-today-135d1b7baa65

https://blog.twitch.tv/html5-player-turbo-beta-starts-today-135d1b7baa65#.com4fad90

Too bad the article didn't mention anything about this...

It just looks like they're pushing the update out of "alpha" then.

2 hours ago, Fooshi said:

If I'm not mistaken, this should enable the use of h.265 / HEVC, which is something I've been waiting for since the beginning of time.

H.265 has been implemented quite a while ago as well. The times of Twitch having almost unwatchable streams have been a thing of the past for a while.

Twitch is still CPU intensive to say the least, but buffering has been extremely minimized for smaller streams and for people with slow internet speeds as well.

HEVC on the other hand, I do not think has been put in yet as of now.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

https://blog.twitch.tv/html5-player-turbo-beta-starts-today-135d1b7baa65#.com4fad90

Too bad the article didn't mention anything about this...

It just looks like they're pushing the update out of "alpha" then.

Yeah, can't wait when it's finally released for everyone.

PS.
Also in my garrison, waiting for Legion ;)

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, can't wait when it's finally released for everyone.

PS.
Also in my garrison, waiting for Legion ;)

I can't wait to actually play WoW, instead of Warlords of Farmville.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MilkJugg24 said:

I can't wait to actually play WoW, instead of Warlords of Farmville.

Heh, yeah. What keeps me playing is PvP though.

As someone who's created applications and animations in Flash before, I can confirm all the negative sentiment toward it is justified :D The performance is quite poor, and it creates a ton of other problems due to whatever you're loading being a "black box" more or less.  Everything should be trying to move toward HTML5, and actually I'm shocked this hadn't already been done.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Dear twitch.tv

THANK YOU SO MUCH IT'S ABOUT TIME

My best regards,

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

H.265 has been implemented quite a while ago as well. The times of Twitch having almost unwatchable streams have been a thing of the past for a while.

Twitch is still CPU intensive to say the least, but buffering has been extremely minimized for smaller streams and for people with slow internet speeds as well.

HEVC on the other hand, I do not think has been put in yet as of now.

HEVC is the same thing as H.265...

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

HEVC is the same thing as H.265...

Whoops. Was thinking about the broadcasting programs, I've been trying to configure AMD's HVEC instead of the x264. It really doesn't like low bitrate streaming.

Yea, they're both the same when watching the broadcast.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

that is recommended you can stream higher then that.

no.

yes you can, but you will get a warning from twitch if they cought you.

technically 3500 could be enough for 1080p60 IF you use a higher encoding preset.

there were some big streamers who streamed at 4k+ bitrate and got a warning.

another dude tested different bitrates and encoding settings and got his channel shut down.

not to mention that most people cant even watch a stream with a bitrate higher than 3500.

a higher preset will raise the stream delay by a ton too

streaming at 2500+ is also a no-go for unpartnered streamers.

Everyone wants higher bitrate streams but that isn't the answer for better quality, HEVC(h.265/x.265) and VP9 are though.  High bitrate streams are literally just brute forcing quality, sacrificing a massive amount efficiency to reduce macroblocking artifacts.  

Peoples CPUs will/are outpacing potato internet speeds making encoding/decoding these new high efficiency codecs more likely to happen before speeds get faster, especially on mobile.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:19 AM, -BirdiE- said:

3500Kbps is the max, which is garbage.

Youtube is 8000Kbps, and that's still pretty compressed for 1080p. Still a significant amount of quality loss.

lol if 8mbps streaming is too small for 1080p, it seems like you're just being a prick. They can't just stream source to everyone, the bandwidth would be ridiculous.

On 14-7-2016 at 7:19 PM, -BirdiE- said:

3500Kbps is the max, which is garbage.

Youtube is 8000Kbps, and that's still pretty compressed for 1080p. Still a significant amount of quality loss.

theres good reason behind the 3500, i'm not gonna get into it here because it's a HUGE pile of math, and its 3AM xD

besides, with good encoding hardware 3500 is honestly plenty for 1080p30 or 900p60.

I changed the quotes in the topic to match the quoting method that the forum software uses on LTT. If you want to type out the quotes manually, it should look like below:

[quote]<insert text here>[/quote]

Otherwise, you can hit the quote button with the apostrophe symbol on it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

On 7/14/2016 at 1:23 PM, The Benjamins said:

that is recommended you can stream higher then that.

Ya I was about to say that my self lol. You can push it higher if you plan on going pass 1080 and what not, but no one usual does. Just that a lot of ppl couldn't handle watching it because of weaker internet connections across the world. So basically if you weren't partnered you didn't have options on your stream for ppl to lower quality because of certain higher bitrates kickin their ass, plus flash.

But any who, I got to try HTML 5 on Twitch today. Seems pretty solid from my experience. I started spamming a bunch of streams open in multiple tabs and they don't hiccup and pause as much as they use to on my crappy laptop when a new page loads. So that's cool I guess. Other than that, same ol Twitch. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:54 AM, -BirdiE- said:

Next, twitch offers acceptable bitrates?

The dream is alive!

Seriously... the max is like 3.5Mbps right now? How about 5 for a 1080/60fps stream? We could finally get past broadcast TV quality!! xD

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.15Ghz (Delidded) - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - MSI Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15" (Finally got rid of the MacBook :D
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

El-Sleep (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 4x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

theres good reason behind the 3500, i'm not gonna get into it here because it's a HUGE pile of math, and its 3AM xD

besides, with good encoding hardware 3500 is honestly plenty for 1080p30 or 900p60.

I'd love to hear the math later! :D

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.15Ghz (Delidded) - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - MSI Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15" (Finally got rid of the MacBook :D
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

El-Sleep (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 4x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.