Portable ITX 1080p Rig

Basically, I am attempting to build a PC. This is my first actual build of my own, however, I have plenty of building experience from helping other people build their first rigs. Basically, I need help in planning what parts to use, besides the case. My goal for this build is to, without water cooling, achieve maxed out 1080p in all games that I could potentially play, and mid to high 1440p later on, though high 1440p is not necessary, as i can upgrade the graphics card in a year or so, when I get a monitor that supports it.

I have a budget of a little under $800

Here's an outline of the parts list: (All of these are up for debate, this is just a tentative list right now)

Case: Corsair 380T 

CPU: i5 equivalent or greater (I'm not against AMD I'm just not familiar with their CPUs..)

Motherboard: ITX obviously, but no clue otherwise, AC wireless is a must.

RAM: A 4gb stick is enough for now, i can upgrade it to two sticks for dual channel later.

Power Supply: 550 to 650 watts should be enough.. Bronze certification at least

Storage: An SSD is all I'll really need, I can add a hard drive later

Graphics Card: RX 480 8gb or GTX 1060

I believe this is everything, thank you for listening, and your replies and help are greatly appreciated!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ram get at least 8gb

PSU you can get away with 360, but id go 450.

Thanks, I plan on picking up the ram a week or two after I build anyway, and I think it'll help a lot to save money on the Power Supply

8 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

<snip>

Why do you want such an expensive case? Also, 4gb of ram really isn't enough aim for a 1x8 stick. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/k2LbXH

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  ($269.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $794.82

Imo, I'd say wait for the 1060 to launch, since it does offer better performance (at least thats what they say) for a little more price. 

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Why do you want such an expensive case? Also, 4gb of ram really isn't enough aim for a 1x8 stick. 

Basically, for the portability sake of it, the handle is incredibly helpful, as I plan to take this to LAN parties on a weekly basis. Also, I probably will go for the 8gb stick after all, as you're the second person to say that.

2 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

Basically, for the portability sake of it, the handle is incredibly helpful, as I plan to take this to LAN parties on a weekly basis. Also, I probably will go for the 8gb stick after all, as you're the second person to say that.

Fair enough, I was in the process of throwing together a PC partpicker list but I was nearly identical to the guy above so I'm not gonna bother posting it. I also agree that you should wait for the 1060 if that's an option for you. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, Electro_XD said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/k2LbXH

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $794.82

Imo, I'd say wait for the 1060 to launch, since it does offer better performance (at least thats what they say) for a little more price. 

Hey, thanks man, this is perfect, and yeah if the 1060 performs like a 980, it'll definitely be what I'll buy. I'm just waiting for that embargo..

4 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

get a node 202 (Case) and a GTX 1070 Mini  (Graphics Card) and water cool your build with a 120mm cooler like Kyle From AwesomeSauce Network Did

If You Have The Money if not look at the GTX 970 mini

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Fair enough, I was in the process of throwing together a PC partpicker list but I was nearly identical to the guy above so I'm not gonna bother posting it. I also agree that you should wait for the 1060 if that's an option for you. 

Yeah, it should outperform all the cards in it's price point, so I'll definitely wait for it. Thanks for all your help.

2 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

get a node 202 (Case) and a GTX 1070 Mini  (Graphics Card) and water cool your build with a 120mm cooler like Kyle From AwesomeSauce Network Did

As he mentioned in the post, he has a budget of under $800 USD, which means that that wouldn't fit in the budget. Also, the 1060 should outperform the 970 mini, so yeah. 

My only concern with this is,

A. the node 202 has no handle, not a huge deal, but something I would like to have and

B. I've never water cooled before, so the idea is a little daunting..

BTW Love AwesomeSauce Network.

3 minutes ago, Electro_XD said:

As he mentioned in the post, he has a budget of under $800 USD, which means that that wouldn't fit in the budget. Also, the 1060 should outperform the 970 mini, so yeah. 

That was my other concern, especially considering that the 1060 will perform far better.

21 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

CPU: i5 equivalent or greater (I'm not against AMD I'm just not familiar with their CPUs..)

Haha you even need to clarify that anymore since AMD is almost never a good choice for their processors versus intel's processors

3 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

A. the node 202 has no handle, not a huge deal, but something I would like to have and

If you can Mount a fan or two and a CPU Cooler Coolers like the h100i and NZXT Kraken x61 is pretty simple and from what i have heard its safe

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Haha you even need to clarify that anymore since AMD is almost never a good choice for their processors versus intel's processors

Yeah, I've noticed lately, the only reason to consider an AMD processor is for an extreme budget build.. and even then there's that weird $8 Intel chip

If you can Mount a fan or two and a CPU Cooler Coolers like the h100i and NZXT Kraken x61 is pretty simple and from what i have heard its safe

That's fair

6 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

AIO water cooling isn't that hard, since its mostly the same with air cooling but instead you have to mount an extra radiator. 

2 minutes ago, Electro_XD said:

AIO water cooling isn't that hard, since its mostly the same with air cooling but instead you have to mount an extra radiator. 

Except for leakage.. Even though AIO's have pretty low failure rates, it still happens, and then i'm out $800..

How about the Silverstone Milo ML08? It has a handle.

It's smaller than the 380T but it would require the use of a more expensive SFX PSU. This build goes over the 800$ but not that much...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power Silm S55 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $818.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 00:16 EDT-0400

4 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

Yeah, I've noticed lately, the only reason to consider an AMD processor is for an extreme budget build.. and even then there's that weird $8 Intel chip

The Pentium G3240 Can Beat Any AMD Processor From What i understand and is only around 60 Dollars, its sad in terms of AMD CPUs i really hope Zen Does Well For the PC Communities Sake

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

1 minute ago, bowserbrawl said:

Except for leakage.. Even though AIO's have pretty low failure rates, it still happens, and then i'm out $800..

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend a AIO if you have a budget of 800.

2 minutes ago, Zagna said:

How about the Silverstone Milo ML08?

It's smaller than the 380T but it would require the use of a more expensive SFX PSU. This build goes over the 800$ but not that much...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power Silm S55 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $818.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 00:16 EDT-0400

That's a pretty fair list, I haven't checked yet, does the case have a handle?

3 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

The Pentium G3240 Can Beat Any AMD Processor From What i understand and is only around 60 Dollars, its sad in terms of AMD CPUs i really hope Zen Does Well For the PC Communities Sake

Yeah.. If the Zen architecture sucks, then AMD should really just stick to Graphics Cards..

2 minutes ago, bowserbrawl said:

That's a pretty fair list, I haven't checked yet, does the case have a handle?

The ML08B-H version does have handle. Plain ML08B doesn't.

And there's also a ML08B-HW with a plastic window.