How "Worth It" is CPU folding? A Temp Question

Go to solution Solved by Guest SkyFall,
2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Power is included in my dorm room costs, so that's a non factor. I should have prefaced this by saying that I've had this for three years already and may need it to last another 4. I would prefer to see my CPU temps about 5C lower than they are. But if that's not necessarily going to affect the longevity of my processor beyond the next four years (keeping in mind it's been used around the clock for three years already), then should I just live with it?

That's pretty nice. I would fold on if I would be you.

Let @LinusTech speak about CPU temps:

I started folding today. One CPU socket (using two threads) and two GPU sockets. My CPU (i7-4770K at stock clock) is running stable at 65-75% UC and around 60-63C. That's a little too high for my comfort for extended periods of time. Is there any way to reduce how much F@H pushes the CPU without hindering GPU folding? I would like to still have the CPU socket working if possible.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Maybe you can do it with flags in the advanced control settings.

However, your CPU temps are pretty fine. (Especially since you probably don't plan to use this CPU for more than 10 years)

Just keep in mind that the power draw vs F@H points ratio of CPUs is pretty bad.
If power is as expensive as here (0.26$ per kWh) you could consider stopping CPU-Folding.

But on the other hand, every tiny bit helps.

1. Is it power efficient compared to GPU folding? No.

2. Is it better than not folding at all? Yes.

3. Are those temps perfectly safe? Yes. Calm down bro. It's not even 70C yet. If your CPU is running at 70C, then you shouldn't fold.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

6 minutes ago, SkyFall said:

Maybe you can do it with flags in the advanced control settings.

However, your CPU temps are pretty fine. (Especially since you probably don't plan to use this CPU for more than 10 years)

Just keep in mind that the power draw vs F@H points ratio of CPUs is pretty bad.
If power is as expensive as here (0.26$ per kWh) you could consider stopping CPU-Folding.

But on the other hand, every tiny bit helps.

Power is included in my dorm room costs, so that's a non factor. I should have prefaced this by saying that I've had this for three years already and may need it to last another 4. I would prefer to see my CPU temps about 5C lower than they are. But if that's not necessarily going to affect the longevity of my processor beyond the next four years (keeping in mind it's been used around the clock for three years already), then should I just live with it?

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That's pretty nice. I would fold on if I would be you.

Let @LinusTech speak about CPU temps:

CPU under 65°C is golden, and will last for many years.

So I wouldn't worry about your temps.

But for folding it might not be best idea to use CPU since it's not power efficient.

You can use CPU for bionic folding or something like that. You will find more infos about that on forum.

But from what I heard, they don't support GPU folding, so CPU is much more usefull there than for f@h

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

25 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

around 60-63C. That's a little too high for my comfort for extended periods of time.

Mine's being up for 23 days straight around the high 70s mark. Wish I had as good temps as you...

But anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. You CPU is actually running pretty cold, it'll die long after you've ditched for something else. Put it to good use and have it join the crunching party, where on F@H itself or somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

You can use CPU for bionic folding or something like that. You will find more infos about that on forum.

But from what I heard, they don't support GPU folding, so CPU is much more usefull there than for f@h

I think I gave you the wrong idea... Boinc is not a specific project like F@H is. Instead, it's a platform with multiple projects. And one of those projects in particular, World Community Grid, only uses CPU. But there are several others using the Boinc platform that make full use of GPUs, such as PrimeGrid, GPUGrid (it's in the name, lol) and PoemHome.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

30 minutes ago, Henry said:

3. Are those temps perfectly safe? Yes. Calm down bro. It's not even 70C yet. If your CPU is running at 70C, then you shouldn't fold.

It was more about extreme longevity and running at those temps 24/7 for the next 4 years or longer on a build that's already 3 years old. I'm very aware that my CPU isn't anywhere near the temps at which immediate damage will occur.

cpu folding is not worth it in my eyes compared to gpu folding. Of course its better then no folding

On 7/12/2016 at 2:17 AM, Henry said:

1. Is it power efficient compared to GPU folding? No.

2. Is it better than not folding at all? Yes.

#3 as long as you're under 80C... 70C is going to hurt, I keep between 69C-76C between my cores on my 3960X. It folds 24/7 with both of my 960s. the CPU gets around 30k PPD. I know this was answered tuesday but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring with some more info, 70C area isn't going to hurt

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]