Snapdragon's 821 is 10% faster than SD 820.

Qualcomm has announced a new flagship mobile processor called the Snapdragon 821.

The 821 is a slight update to the Snapdragon 820 that debuted in smartphones earlier this year and promises modest performance gains.

qualcomm-snapdragon.png?w=590&h=443&l=52

On this year's flagship phones like S7 and S7 edge (not all of them), the HTC 10, the LG G5, the OnePlus 3, and the Xiaomi Mi5, Snapdragon 820 was the heart of their body. 

Qualcomm says the Snapdragon 821 builds upon the 820’s features, but provides a 10 percent performance increase. Its quad-core CPU runs at 2.4GHz. The company says it will debut in smartphones and other devices in the second half of this year. Perhaps we’ll see it first appear in the next Samsung Galaxy Note?

The 821 is about as exciting a refresh as its model number implies: its Kryo CPU cores will run at a maximum clock speed of 2.4GHz, a roughly 10 percent increase from the 2.15GHz cores in the Snapdragon 820. There's no word on whether the 821's two slower cores in the CPU will be faster than the 1.6GHz in the current chip. Qualcomm's press release doesn't mention the GPU's speed increasing, and it says specifically that the 821 will use the same 600Mbps Snapdragon X12 LTE modem as the 820.

To achieve the higher speeds, Qualcomm says it bumped the clock rates of the 14-nanometer chip from 2.1 to 2.4 GHz. Otherwise, it's borrowing the Snapdragon 820's tech, including the 600 Mbps X12 LTE modem, Ultra HD Voice tech for improved call quality, and Upload+ for faster downloads. At the same time, it'll deliver greater speeds, battery life and app performance.

ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe Said To Be The First Smartphone To Feature A Snapdragon 821 (Not sure about it, WCCFTECH source)

Qualcomm says "you can expect commercial devices powered by the 821 in the second half of 2016" with more information coming soon.

Source: arstechnica, The Verge, engadget.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

"10% boost in clockspeeds" "better battery life"  seems legit

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

So basically 821 is an 820 OC

That's what got stuck in my head from reading anyway...

It's like an 8350 oc'd to 4.7 GHz and have performance like 9590.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

15 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Don't worry, we can just increase the battery capacity by 10% and we'll be back to square 1.

The mobile world, is starting to become a grudge to bear and learn about... yet alone own

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, rattacko123 said:

I'm assuming it's just a well binned chip, similar to the mobile GTX 980 offering the same performance at a lower TDP.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

17 minutes ago, Suika said:

I'm assuming it's just a well binned chip, similar to the mobile GTX 980 offering the same performance at a lower TDP.

Yep

Might also be some minor tweaks to the design to get more efficiency. Kryo was/is Qualcomm's first 64bit as well as 14nm design so there is probably some room for improvements. Remember how many iterative improvements we got with Krait?

10% better performance (from the clock speed increase), and lower power usage (more mature manufacturing process allows for better binning, plus minor tweaks) is perfectly reasonable.

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yep

Might also be some minor tweaks to the design to get more efficiency. Kryo was/is Qualcomm's first 64bit as well as 14nm design so there is probably some room for improvements. Remember how many iterative improvements we got with Krait?

10% better performance (from the clock speed increase), and lower power usage (more mature manufacturing process allows for better binning, plus minor tweaks) is perfectly reasonable.

It'll also be great if it could sustain the higher clock speed for longer periods of time compared to the 820. 

3 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

because of process maturity , they have enough high binned chips ( that consume less power ) to sell high clock versions . Think f it like haswell refresh , where the process was mature enough to allow binning a high amount of 4ghz+ processors

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

It's interesting, there were numerous reports on some phones that OCing the chips increased battery life. With higher clocks, the chips are able to do the task with lower loads and thus increase the battery time, or do the work faster and work at load in general less time. At least that's how in theory it should work. 

I've never tested it myself to be clear. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It's interesting, there were numerous reports on some phones that OCing the chips increased battery life. With higher clocks, the chips are able to do the task with lower loads and thus increase the battery time, or do the work faster and work at load in general less time. At least that's how in theory it should work. 

Probably similar to how SSDs were getting much worse battery times on laptops when they first came out.  They were allowing the system to actually do more work, since it wasn't waiting for the HDD as much.  Perhaps this has a similar yet opposite effect, allowing the CPU to work harder, but for less time, causing a net increase in battery life/efficiency.

7 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

Sounds like a node shrink to me

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Well. I never overclocked mobile CPU. In theory you don't have to OC it at all, just undervolt it.

10 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

Probably similar to how SSDs were getting much worse battery times on laptops when they first came out.  They were allowing the system to actually do more work, since it wasn't waiting for the HDD as much.  Perhaps this has a similar yet opposite effect, allowing the CPU to work harder, but for less time, causing a net increase in battery life/efficiency.

But, its consuming more power to OC a chip. So basically, you are saying the OC will have a better power/performance ratio than not OC, which I really doubt. If this is the case, the OEMs or Quadcom will do it to get a better chip at the first place. I bet theres slight tweaks to overcome the heat output and power consumption so the chip can finish the same task with same power required within less time, and result in a 10% battery life increase.

I honestly don't see the point in any more performance at this point. Just focus on battery life and storage.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

But, its consuming more power to OC a chip. So basically, you are saying the OC will have a better power/performance ratio than not OC, which I really doubt. If this is the case, the OEMs or Quadcom will do it to get a better chip at the first place. I bet theres slight tweaks to overcome the heat output and power consumption so the chip can finish the same task with same power required within less time, and result in a 10% battery life increase.

It only consumes more power when running at the higher speed under load.  So, with modern CPUs being able to downclock themselves really well when not being used, it can do "high power" work in less time, then resume low power mode much quicker.  Though if your argument is that the efficiency per power while at speed doesn't make sense, I got nothing for that one.  My assumption was that overall power usage was more efficient due to being able to work harder for less time, so if you use 10% more power, but work for less time, you would see a lower power use overall.

18 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

It only consumes more power when running at the higher speed under load.  So, with modern CPUs being able to downclock themselves really well when not being used, it can do "high power" work in less time, then resume low power mode much quicker.  Though if your argument is that the efficiency per power while at speed doesn't make sense, I got nothing for that one.  My assumption was that overall power usage was more efficient due to being able to work harder for less time, so if you use 10% more power, but work for less time, you would see a lower power use overall.

OCing make the chip work harder for less time but consume more energy/unit time.

Say if it can finish 10% faster but consume only less than 10% energy/unit time, and in the end it finishes 10% faster with same (or less) energy, then, yes it will make sense the OCing chip will give much better battery life. BUT if this is the real case, the OEMs and Quaudcom will do it in the first place and wont call it a SD821, because y not? right?

I would guess the real case is SD820 OCing have a 10% boost in performance with a 15-20%(just a random number), and as a result, even if it finish the job faster, it consumes way more energy in total to do it. And Quaudcom makes improvement in whatever place to make it reaches the situation I mentioned above (10% more performance and only less than 10% energy draw overall).

and that is what you call.. bouncing off the limits of silicon wall

tech is going to advance quite slowly until we replace silicon with something else... quite unfortunate but it's what i've been predicting for the last couple of years.

better battery tech and multi-core optimizations would help a lot though 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Also known as race to sleep. 

It's slight upgrade. 830 will be way more interesting. Also new Exynos for sure :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, kameshss said:

ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe Said To Be The First Smartphone To Feature A Snapdragon 821 (Not sure about it, WCCFTECH source)

It is true. Today (12/07) Asus held a press conference for Zenfone 3 in Taiwan, and the 821 was used in the Deluxe version 

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/12/zenfone-3-deluxe-snapdragon-821/