Slow / Laggy PC start-up issue.

KevinXuzio

I currently run a system with the following specs:
OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (Upgraded from Windows 8)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
Motherboard: MSi Z77A-G43

RAM: 32GB DDR3 (Unsure of exact type, but pretty low cost - awaiting upgrade soon..)

Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Trion 100 Solid State Drive
Storage Drive: Seagate HDD ST3000DM001

The system isn't the most modern or high spec, but it gets the job done for what I use it for.

The issue I have been having is quite a frustrating one, however it may not have any effect whilst I am working or gaming, waiting for my system to boot is an absolute nightmare. The windows login screen takes a bit longer than normal to appear, but when it does appear it performs very slow and lags quite a bit, simply trying to enter a password or pin takes quite some time. I have tried looking into the error but some similar situations turned out to be different issues. The issues arrised shortly after I installed Windows 10, but performance was fine on Windows 10 for about a week AFTER upgrading.

Has anyone ever experienced issues like this or know what may be causing this issue?
(The system has been scanned and did not detect any malware that could be causing the issues)

I thank you in advance for any support provided.

- Kevin.

3 minutes ago, kevinpurcell058 said:

I currently run a system with the following specs:
OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (Upgraded from Windows 8)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
Motherboard: MSi Z77A-G43

RAM: 32GB DDR3 (Unsure of exact type, but pretty low cost - awaiting upgrade soon..)

Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Trion 100 Solid State Drive
Storage Drive: Seagate HDD ST3000DM001

The system isn't the most modern or high spec, but it gets the job done for what I use it for.

The issue I have been having is quite a frustrating one, however it may not have any effect whilst I am working or gaming, waiting for my system to boot is an absolute nightmare. The windows login screen takes a bit longer than normal to appear, but when it does appear it performs very slow and lags quite a bit, simply trying to enter a password or pin takes quite some time. I have tried looking into the error but some similar situations turned out to be different issues. The issues arrised shortly after I installed Windows 10, but performance was fine on Windows 10 for about a week AFTER upgrading.

Has anyone ever experienced issues like this or know what may be causing this issue?
(The system has been scanned and did not detect any malware that could be causing the issues)

I thank you in advance for any support provided.

- Kevin.

Sounds like your drive may be dying if your noticing a large decrease in performance. You can run command prompt in Administrator mode and run the following command

sfc /scannow and it will check all your systems files on your boot drive to ensure no issues with your windows integrity. Then go download Crystal Disk and check the performance of your drive. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Open up your task manager and go to the 'startup' tab, there you can see what programs and software are using up your computer's performance on startup and deal with them.

8 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds like your drive may be dying if your noticing a large decrease in performance. You can run command prompt in Administrator mode and run the following command

sfc /scannow and it will check all your systems files on your boot drive to ensure no issues with your windows integrity. Then go download Crystal Disk and check the performance of your drive. 

Sounds like a possibility. I will have a look at this tomorrow and let you know of the outcome. Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, CapatinChipmunk said:

Open up your task manager and go to the 'startup' tab, there you can see what programs and software are using up your computer's performance on startup and deal with them.

The issue occurs before any programs have a chance to load (before a user logs in). Even with that in mind, I already checked that and ensured there was nothing major beside a few essentials to run on start-up. That's definitely not the issue in this case but thanks for your help.

Upgraded from windows 8? Do a fresh re-install of Windows 10. My laptop which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 compared to my desktop with a vanilla install of Windows 10 shows a significant performance difference, even though all my preferences on both systems are exactly the same (except my desktop which has several more programs installed).

Both systems have 5400RPM Sata drives of different capacities though, specs in sig.

TL;DR a fresh install should remove most of the unnecessary excess loading screens. Not a reset, a proper fresh install from a USB or CD. I've reset my laptop countless times and it's still slow after a fresh reset.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Upgraded from windows 8? Do a fresh re-install of Windows 10. My laptop which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 compared to my desktop with a vanilla install of Windows 10 shows a significant performance difference, even though all my preferences on both systems are exactly the same (except my desktop which has several more programs installed).

Both systems have 5400RPM Sata drives of different capacities though, specs in sig.

TL;DR a fresh install should remove most of the unnecessary excess loading screens.

Considered this, but I would then have to purchase another copy of Windows, and to be honest windows have had enough of my money as is...

5 minutes ago, kevinpurcell058 said:

Considered this, but I would then have to purchase another copy of Windows, and to be honest windows have had enough of my money as is...

If you upgraded Windows, you shouldn't need to buy a new license to activate after a fresh re-install. Microsoft now keeps licensing info on their servers, not your computer. As long as exactly the same hardware is in your system (specifically motherboard) and it's connected to the internet during the re-install, it should activate normally.

I'd recommend testing it on a spare drive first though before reinstalling on your main drive.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

29 minutes ago, kevinpurcell058 said:

You shouldn't have to. Download Belarc advisor and run it, and it will tell you your current Windows product key. Since you will be using the same computer, you can just reuse the same one. :)

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...