Noob home network question. Connecting a router to a modem

thorpj

So i've got a rather terrible ISP modem, and i want to put setup a router, so that the modem only handles the input of internet traffic into the local network.

As far as I can tell, i need to connect an ethernet cable fron an ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the router, and then enable full bridge mode on the modem. The trouble is, my modem doesn't have that option. Here's the configuration options that it does have: 

Spoiler

4wI244W.png

Also, another option would be for me to use the ISP modem as a switch, and buy a modem (it'll cost a tiny bit more than the router). TP-Link C5 AC1200 (router) or TP-link D5 AC1200 (modem). Though, i'm not sure how i would do this.

What should i do?

Thanks,

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Try to reset your Modem then try connect the Modem to the Router

---===+++ Im a Student and Tech Enthusiast :D +++===----

LAPTOP: ASUS ROG G501 | CPU: Intel Core i7 4720HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M | RAM: 12 GB

Can't Afford a Gaming Rig :'(

4 minutes ago, thorpj said:

So i've got a rather terrible ISP modem, and i want to put setup a router, so that the modem only handles the input of internet traffic into the local network.

As far as I can tell, i need to connect an ethernet cable fron an ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the router, and then enable full bridge mode on the modem. The trouble is, my modem doesn't have that option. Here's the configuration options that it does have: 

Hide contents

4wI244W.png

What should i do?

Thanks,

Does you modem have multiple LAN ports?
If so I believe thats a modem/router combo.
Most ISPs install these since it uses less space, doesn't require you to buy one and above all: Give them full control (At least all consumers packages of my ISP do).

Maybe your ISP has a option to disable this router? If not you will have to work with a router behind a router ;)
To do this: Connect a cat5e/6 to a LAN port on the router/modem combo and plug the other end into the WAN port of your new router.
From your router/modem combo, search for the IP the new router has been given (You can also find this as the DHCP WAN IP in your new router).

Configure your new router to use that IP as a static WAN IP (You might change this from 192.168.0.214 to 192.168.0.2 for instance).
Set that static IP into your DMZ on your router/modem combo.
Note that the new router has to have another local subnet, so for instance your router/modem combo = 192.168.0.xxx, that means your new router can have the subnet 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx etc.)

This will resolve the problem, though it might result in a Dual NAT or even a Triple NAT configuration which adds a bit of delay to the network.

8 hours ago, tv15dsi said:

Does you modem have multiple LAN ports?
If so I believe thats a modem/router combo.
Most ISPs install these since it uses less space, doesn't require you to buy one and above all: Give them full control (At least all consumers packages of my ISP do).

Maybe your ISP has a option to disable this router? If not you will have to work with a router behind a router ;)
To do this: Connect a cat5e/6 to a LAN port on the router/modem combo and plug the other end into the WAN port of your new router.
From your router/modem combo, search for the IP the new router has been given (You can also find this as the DHCP WAN IP in your new router).

Configure your new router to use that IP as a static WAN IP (You might change this from 192.168.0.214 to 192.168.0.2 for instance).
Set that static IP into your DMZ on your router/modem combo.
Note that the new router has to have another local subnet, so for instance your router/modem combo = 192.168.0.xxx, that means your new router can have the subnet 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx etc.)

This will resolve the problem, though it might result in a Dual NAT or even a Triple NAT configuration which adds a bit of delay to the network.

Thank you for picking up on my error there: the ISP "modem" is a modem/router. Sorry.

I had hoped to avoid double NATting, so perhaps using a new modem/router and turning the ISP modem/router into a switch would be a better option.

My guess for the settings I need to disable would be:

• Disable "Use Router as DHCP Server"
  • Disable NAT
  • Disable thesee0obTMx.png
  • Disable Wireless Router Radio
  • Disable IPV6

Is this okay?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

8 hours ago, thorpj said:

Thank you for picking up on my error there: the ISP "modem" is a modem/router. Sorry.

I had hoped to avoid double NATting, so perhaps using a new modem/router and turning the ISP modem/router into a switch would be a better option.

My guess for the settings I need to disable would be:

• Disable "Use Router as DHCP Server"
  • Disable NAT
  • Disable thesee0obTMx.png
  • Disable Wireless Router Radio
  • Disable IPV6

Is this okay?

Disabling the modulation depends on your incomming connection.
You could disable them one by one and see when your connection to the internet is lost.
If its lost, than thats the one that your ISP uses and keep that one enabled. Disable all the others.
Now just plug your router into the modem and you should be fine (I think).

You cannot turn a modem/router combo into a switch, if you do so it will disable the modem. Which disables the incomming connection aswell. A modem is made to convert your local network to another algorithm (I think, don't quote me on that) that your ISP can understand.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Its not another algorithm :Þ It just converts the Digital signal to an analogue signal ;)

2 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Disabling the modulation depends on your incomming connection.
You could disable them one by one and see when your connection to the internet is lost.
If its lost, than thats the one that your ISP uses and keep that one enabled. Disable all the others.
Now just plug your router into the modem and you should be fine (I think).

You cannot turn a modem/router combo into a switch, if you do so it will disable the modem. Which disables the incomming connection aswell. A modem is made to convert your local network to another algorithm (I think, don't quote me on that) that your ISP can understand.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Its not another algorithm :Þ It just converts the Digital signal to an analogue signal ;)

Sorry, i wasn't very clear in what I was saying. I'm exploring the option of buying a new modem/router and then turning the old modem/router into a switch. The old modem/router doesn't need a connection from the ISP, I just want to make use of its ethernet ports. The new modem/router would be setup as a modem/router normally would.

thanks,

thorpj

2 minutes ago, thorpj said:

Sorry, i wasn't very clear in what I was saying. I'm exploring the option of buying a new modem/router and then turning the old modem/router into a switch. The old modem/router doesn't need a connection from the ISP, I just want to make use of its ethernet ports. The new modem/router would be setup as a modem/router normally would.

thanks,

thorpj

Disable everything might work :Þ

4 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Disable everything might work :Þ

Okay, i'll give that a go, thanks for your help