Unkown heat problems with i7-4790k

So i recently begun trying to overclock my CPU and i was looking around and i was constantly getting 100c no matter what clock i set it to. Im running a I7-4790k with the Hyper212 evo.

An idea was that i running too high of a core voltage. Now 3 hours later. Iwe been downclocking my CPU and now i have it on 4GHZ and 1.185v. This is what the stock is and I have turned off the Intel speedup thingy. So it will run 4Ghz no matter what.

I run the small FFA test and i get 90-92degrees instantly. The stock temps are around 50c.

So i read up and the "solution" is to reapply the thermal paste. I did so and watching what is the best so i wont mess up again. Upon starting up with fresh thermal paste. Same temps and everything.

The fan is set to run 100% at 70c so its not fan related eigher.

I installed a Hyper212 evo on another pc i build recently for my brother and that runs a i5-6700k. That runs around 25-30c idle and on Small FFA test it runs around 55c. So there it works all fine.

I usually dont ask. I really like to find out myself. But please. I need help.

Update!

I still have the issue. Sadly. But i have a H440 case with 3 120mm fans in the front. 1 140mm airflow fan in the back. The thermal paste is good.

Im running it now on all fans at 100% (even CPU fan) and CPU boost off and at 4GHZ and voltage tuned down to 1.05v. WIth theese tunes i get around 40c and 80c at Small FFA.
Its nearly the exact same as the 4GHZ at 1.2v, issnt it supposed to get cooler? I have no idea. I am so confused as of why this is happening.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

IWE SENT IN THE CPU AND I GOT IT IN RETURN WITH A EVERYTHING OKAY. THEY THINK 60c IN IDLE IS OKAY. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

What version of Prime95 are you using? it may be abusing the AVX voltage control on the chip (you can damage your CPU by using the wrong version for prolonged periods of time).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Im new to overclocking. So i do not know what AVX voltage is.

Im running Prime95 v28.9,build 2

What do i accomplish by using this mode instead? It froze on me and i had to add more voltage to make it stable to run it again. Now its at 1.075v

Well its running at around 65c on this mode. Keep in mind all fans are running at 100%

My idle temp is 40-44c. Thats the double of my brother's i5-6700k with the same cooler. And iwe been "undervoltage'ing" to try get it down.

What's the difference? And the other problem is the really high idle temp of around 45c

Call me a idiot. But i was curious if the airflow wasnt enough so i took my big fan and faced it inside the computer with the side panel off. JUST TO SEE IF IT WOULD HELP. And worst part is that it didnt do anything. I have no idea. I know it was a stupid idea, but hey.

^76030329FF4D46001A10C333609AFC4C51639C405B0FD59ABE^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Version 26.6 gives way less temps, also the h440 is known to be a case with bad airflow.

Also my gilrfriends i3 idles at around 40-44 with the 212 evo, its normal, its a budget cooler

1 hour ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

also the h440 is known to be a case with bad airflow.

Also my gilrfriends i3 idles at around 40-44 with the 212 evo, its normal, its a budget cooler

as the quote above stated, no side panel and a large blast of ambient air changed nothing, so the 'bad airflow' of the case was negated.

sorry to disagree, but the 212 should idle 5°-8° above ambient temperature. if the degrees are higher, improper installation, excessive idle voltage, or a CPU load in the background.

7 hours ago, Jeexzee said:

-snip-

what is the ambient room temperature?

in windows go to power options it is set to: balanced or high performance?

if high performance, select balanced and retest.

if still high idle then enter the UEFI and restore to defaults and retest.

In windows its set to High preformance.
The room temprature is around 20-24c.

By everything iwe tweaked inside of the BIOS. Iwe gotten the CPU to run around 70c. But thats with underclocking and everything. I can try resetting the bios and see if that works.

Now that i reset the settings and i am running the Stock settings i get 40c (15c over room temp) and 90c at Small FFA test.
And the custom 1344 test give me around the same 90c at stock settings.

Keep in mind my brother at the other room has the same cooler and runs it at 1 or 2c higher than the room temp. He has the same cooler. Only thing is that he has a i5-6700k.

Is around 38c normal to have on a i7 with a hyper212? Because i really dont like the unnceccary heat. And that on the Small FFA test it runs up to 90c and throttels down to 4.2-4.3GHz.
Im thinking about buying a watercooler because of all the trouble im having with the cooling of my i7.

Is the Switech H220x any good? Theres a really good sale on them right now and it looks really good.

If you can't find a solution to the issue, you can try delidding and replacing the TIM with Gelid or CLU/CLP.

That or if you still have warranty, replace it.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

• 3 weeks later...

I think its normal that the CPU runs at around 20 degrees over the room temp. Iwe read up and it seems like it. But ill buy a water cooling soulution and hope that fixes it for me.

17 minutes ago, Jeexzee said:

I think its normal that the CPU runs at around 20 degrees over the room temp. Iwe read up and it seems like it. But ill buy a water cooling soulution and hope that fixes it for me.

Its absolutely not normal for it to run that high above ambient at idle, only at load. If you haven't reseated the cooler and replaced the thermal paste, then do so. You should never have temps like that on a 212 evo

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.7.2016 at 6:47 PM, Moress said:

Its absolutely not normal for it to run that high above ambient at idle, only at load. If you haven't reseated the cooler and replaced the thermal paste, then do so. You should never have temps like that on a 212 evo

So i sent it in return as a faulty chip to where i bought it from and this is their answer after a week.
"CPU og vifte ble testet sammen med Prime95 og alt var OK i henhold til feilmelding, testrapport vedligger."

Translated : CPU and fan was tested togheter with Prime95 and everything was okay in ERROR MESSAGES WISE, testreport is in the box.

LIKE WHAT THE JEEBUS OF AN ANSWER IS THAT. ITS RUNNING 60c IDLE IN 28c WHO IN THEIR MIND WOULD SAY THAT IS OKAY.

And iwe no computer to use and im really sad over not having anything to do. Now that i TRIED to send it in they fucking noped and gave it back to me like it "works".

If you're getting that bad of a cooling, it seems like your cooler is in tight contact with your CPU and therefore not transferring heat properly. Also for your remark, the temperature created by a CPU is only linked to the voltage : the higher the voltage, the hotter the CPU. The frequency doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

If you're getting that bad of a cooling, it seems like your cooler is in tight contact with your CPU and therefore not transferring heat properly. Also for your remark, the temperature created by a CPU is only linked to the voltage : the higher the voltage, the hotter the CPU. The frequency doesn't matter.

As i said in my Update. I underclocked the CPU voltage to  1.05v so it only started up on that voltage. And it still ran really hot

12 minutes ago, AngryFishLady said:

Also this is how tight i installed the CPU cooler