Dell releases perfect monitor? (New 30" Ultrasharp)

vanished

source 1 (July 9): http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/dell_release_ultrasharp_up3017q_30_inch_120hz_4k_monitor/1

source 2 (older): https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

source 3 (even older, huzzah): http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018710/hardware/dell-unveils-stunning-4k-oled-ultrasharp-display-and-declares-war-on-bezels.html

review: http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/dell-up3017q-oled-4k-monitor-1311504/review

Dell has released their new Ultrasharp UP3017Q, a 30 inch, 4K, 120Hz monitor with an OLED display with a response time of 0.1ms, making this new monitor sound like the perfect high-end gaming display. 

[...] this display may be faster than TN, offer 100% Adobe RGB and 97.8% DCI-P3 colour support with 10-bit colour and come in a large 30-inch form factor [...]

Well it sounds great but I have concerns.  First of all,

Sadly this monitor may offer some extremely high specifications, but it comes with a huge price tag and some noteworthy downsides. 

No kidding.  I don't think this is surprising anyone.

Second, we will have to see if it lives up to what we think it should given the specs.  Maybe Linus can check this one out? :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

30 inch with borderless design just make it perfect, but I nearly choke myself at that $4999 price tag

gj Dell, this is why I trust their monitors

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Always loved and will always love Dell monitors, especially their UltraSharp Series, they are the best in my opinion. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I thought we knew about this one for a while.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I need it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

I thought we knew about this one for a while.

Well this article is from today so if you find earlier news let me know :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

dell: a great monitor, for the price of a car xD

looks like i'm not gonna drop that ultrasharp i picked up for a bargain any time soon :P

Now I just need plutonium and a DeLorean to be able to get a rig that can actually push 4k at 120hz.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Now I just need plutonium and a DeLorean to be able to get a rig that can actually push 4k at 120hz.

i dont think dell intends gamers to buy this thing. i'd guess they more so aim at the photo editing or animators market.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i dont think dell intends gamers to buy this thing. i'd guess they more so aim at the photo editing or animators market.

Graphics designers need 120hz refresh rates?

I honestly didn't know still images needed such refresh rates and video editors usually do 23 or 30 FPS so why do they need more than that?

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Nonsense!  Quad SLI Titan P's here we come! xD 

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I honestly didn't know still images needed such refresh rates and video editors usually do 23 or 30 FPS so why do they need more than that?

because its smoother, and something marketable :P

to be honest, the monitor market is pretty stale at this point. my oldest montior is still up to par with most of the display market. (got it together with a rig running an i3 560, 4GB ram, and a HD5770)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well, that's kind of the price bracket this thing is aimed at, isnt it? ;)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Forget gpus the processors needed to not bottle neck 4k 120hz anyway just flat out do not exist. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

IT's a bit of a nitpicky thing, but with a 120 hz panel, you can watch content at 60 fps, or 24 fps all perfectly.  With a 60 hz panel, 24 fps doesn't divide so well ;)

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Forget gpus the processors needed to not bottle neck 4k 120hz anyway just flat out do not exist. 

to be honest, processor usage doesnt go up with resolution much at all, so it'd be much similar to 1080p 120Hz.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well this article is from today so if you find earlier news let me know :)

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

IT's a bit of a nitpicky thing, but with a 120 hz panel, you can watch content at 60 fps, or 24 fps all perfectly.  With a 60 hz panel, 24 fps doesn't divide so well ;)

Sure you could do that. But then again it would look identical on an 800 bucks 4k 60hz panel. 

See this is what nobody can explain, who actually CAN benefit from 4k 120hz today? Counter strike players? The poly count is so low it hardly matters to have more resolution. Designers? Nope still images. Video editors? Nope nobody is editing any video at 120hz. Do we even have cameras that can record 4k at 120hz? All high speed cameras actually lower the resolution often quite a bit to achieve that.

This is literally a product just nobody needs. It's 5 grand for a fucking stat on a paper nobody can actually do anything useful with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

not 5:3 yet

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Thanks, I'll add that to the OP

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Sure you could do that. But then again it would look identical on an 800 bucks 4k 60hz panel. 

See this is what nobody can explain, who actually CAN benefit from 4k 120hz today? Counter strike players? The poly count is so low it hardly matters to have more resolution. Designers? Nope still images. Video editors? Nope nobody is editing any video at 120hz. Do we even have cameras that can record 4k at 120hz? All high speed cameras actually lower the resolution often quite a bit to achieve that.

This is literally a product just nobody needs. It's 5 grand for a fucking stat on a paper nobody can actually do anything useful with it.

the thing with the majority of dell's stuff, is that *someone* out there needs it. and it's most likely that insanely priced because they dont expect to sell a whole lot of them, so the upmark for research and tooling per montior is bigger.

also, it's dell. dell wouldnt be dell if they didnt do something ridiculous every so often.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the thing with the majority of dell's stuff, is that *someone* out there needs it. and it's most likely that insanely priced because they dont expect to sell a whole lot of them, so the upmark for research and tooling per montior is bigger.

also, it's dell. dell wouldnt be dell if they didnt do something ridiculous every so often.

Plus this stuff will eventually trickle down into cheaper screens.  Also, one day 4K 120 hz will be standard.  Hell, one day it'll look like 480p does today :P  Yeah you could make the argument "but it's not needed now" but like I said, it's the latest thing, and there's got to be new products at the top to drive the rest of them forward.  Like F1 cars :)