What is the Easiest Language

Little Bear

I have dabbled in bash, I understand C# alright (Just now starting to really grasp the real concept behind EVERYTHING), but my question: is there anything easier?
 I have heard Lua is a quick learning curve.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

Chinese

HTML

VB.net

Not even code once you reach there though

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

5 minutes ago, Little Bear said:

I have dabbled in bash, I understand C# alright (Just now starting to really grasp the real concept behind EVERYTHING), but my question: is there anything easier?
 I have heard Lua is a quick learning curve.

Python has always been nice to me. Quick to get the basics, and easy to develop.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Livecode...never said it had to be useful...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

14 minutes ago, brcdncn said:

COBOL

Easy isn't always useful.

It is still popular. Not rightfully so but popular nonetheless.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If you are managing with C#, I'd stick with that for now. Still, to answer your question Python and Ruby are generally considered easier languages. Lua is too although it isn't as widely used.

Python is pretty easy and also useful

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Compared to C#: Python and Ruby are probably the two fastest to pick up.  Java might be faster/easier depending who you ask.  Haskell might be easier to pick up the syntax of, but the underlying logic/paradigm of the language is extremely different from many more common languages, so it might be challenging at first.  Haskell is also less widely used than any of the other languages I've mentioned.

Compared to Bash: I'd say Bash is generally pretty straightforwards.  Ruby and Python, again, are probably easier to learn, but I don't think the comparison is entirely valid.  To most users, Bash is used for relatively short scripts and as a command line shell, where you (usually) spend just as much time calling other programs as you do using pure Bash.

whatever you do, do NOT try ADA, it's an infinitely complex, strongly typed piece of s@#~t

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Do you want to program desktop applications, mobile applications or web applications?

Expert procrastinator.

2 hours ago, Nitroblast said:

Do you want to program desktop applications, mobile applications or web applications?

Desktop applications

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

Python or Java. Java is a "compile once run anywhere" meaning as long as someone has java installed on their machine they can run you application no matter what their os is. Any os specific things are handled on the back end.

On 7/9/2016 at 4:51 AM, CrazyMatt said:

I'm gonna say VB.NET. It's all about preference, though.

It's fairly easy and usefull, so yeah.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I would argue that dynamic programming languages have less need for learning initially and avoiding compilation makes understanding the programming itself easier. Its an unnecessary detail for a learner and to write real programs and have them just run is a big boom initially for small programs. Ruby and Python both fit this well.

However since we are talking GUI programming (that is on the harder end to do well and its a complex area) then C# or Java. C# obviously does Windows well and its native and its the only real option for doing GUI work on Windows.

Lua is the easiest language I've dealt with. Easy doesn't mean good or useful, so I'd stick to C#, especially that you want to make

15 hours ago, Little Bear said:

Desktop applications

If you really want something easier than C#, I'd strongly recommend Ruby, it'd teach you concepts found in C# in an easier manner.

On 7/8/2016 at 4:45 PM, Little Bear said:

is there anything easier?

Brainfuck looks simple enough. How hard can 8 operators and no operands possibly be?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 7/8/2016 at 5:49 PM, NinjaJc01 said:

Python has always been nice to me. Quick to get the basics, and easy to develop.

It was either a terrible professor or just the later difficulty but my Programming 3 class got into the really annoying parts of Python.  I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

33 minutes ago, ArcaneZorro said:

really annoying parts of Python.  

What really annoying parts of Python?

31 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

What really annoying parts of Python?

I got really caught up on 3D Arrays to start with and that set a pretty weak foundation for the more advanced planning.  I partially blame a bad programming department but I remember watching my class dwindle from 50+ people down to 3 for the final.  The program we had to make was one similar to an old C project I had made before (and it was almost as annoying).  It was an airport data entry program.  It would have an input for a plane by number, date assigned, model number, last landed, longest possible travel distance, refueling costs, etc.  Then the admin could view the full data set in the program and delete/edit specific entries.  The last part was search functionality that allowed to search based on any of the inputs (this is the one that got me).  All of which required different logins and levels of security.

The issue I had is that when he told us the assignment, we had never done anything even similar to it in a class and hadn't learned about many of the things we needed for completion of the final.  I remember asking on stackoverflow for some advice on it and it just turned into questions about why my professor hadn't taught us about how to do it.  That class made me change my major from CompSci to Computer Systems Networking.

In my experience, there doesn't seem to be an "easiest" language to learn. What programming is about is how you can solve logic problems and understand some of the general tricks of the trade. Once you grasp the basics, pretty much every other language falls right onto your lap. I've started in earnest with C (I dabbled in BASIC and Visual Basic before that, but nothing serious) and so far a lot of other languages I've tried fell right into my lap. This includes C++, C#, Java, Python, and JavaScript. Once you have the command of the basics, the rest of the languages is learning syntax and nuances.

The only one I can't really get my head around is Ruby. It's like the ones I mentioned are Latin languages and Ruby is Chinese to me. Or maybe Russian. I'm sure if I spent some time with it I'd understand it more.

What really does it though is who's teaching you. People say Python is a great language to start, but if your teacher sucks, then you may as well have not bothered. When it comes down to the basics, I don't really see a difference between Python and C. They have different words and syntax and they run differently, but from a higher level point of view, it's pretty much the same.

15 hours ago, ArcaneZorro said:

It was either a terrible professor or just the later difficulty but my Programming 3 class got into the really annoying parts of Python.  I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

I practically taught my self, so I can't help you.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

My opinion is to not focus on learning languages but learn concepts which you can apply to different languages.  Learning syntax is easy, learning and understanding the concepts are more difficult.  Easy example is once you learn the concepts of for/foreach/while loops, learning the syntax for them in different languages becomes easy.