Use Linux Journal, Tails or Tor?, NSA is watching you

Linky here

http://www.in.techspot.com/news/security/nsa-classifies-linux-journal-readers-tor-and-tails-linux-users-as-extremists/articleshow/47743699.cms

I am unsure if its real but if it is the case, I think most of the tech community is being watched...

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

i think the deal with the NSA watching linux is mostly because of the kind of idiots that download kali linux because then they are a hacker.

in the end they're watching everyone, but just like the guy behind your supermarket's CCTV system prioritizes people with a long coat and sunglasses, the NSA has to filter "in some way", and the outlets for kiddo's that think its cool to be a hacker are a very easy pick to make.

Haven't heard of tails and linux journal, sound amazing tho, going to give them a try :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

We are all being watched, but I guess that why more and more people are interested in VPN's or other services designed to hide your identity. I don't really care too much, there's nothing about my internet usage that should suggest me being on a watch list or anything, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised that after a long session in the darkest and deepest part of Youtube labels me as a person of interest to daddy..

Remember lads, daddy is always watching.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

The problem the NSA has is that they can't effectively watch everyone without losing their effectiveness. And given how much data they are sifting through increase overtime, they will eventually give up on mass data collection and goes back to what works, ie profiling.

Also imagine if someone made a bot designed to make questionable comments that get flagged by the nsa, that would be a hilarious way to counteract their snooping and I'm sure someone has done this before just to mess with organizations like them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

11 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The problem the NSA has is that they can't effectively watch everyone without losing their effectiveness. And given how much data they are sifting through increase overtime, they will eventually give up on mass data collection and goes back to what works, ie profiling.

Also imagine if someone made a bot designed to make questionable comments that get flagged by the nsa, that would be a hilarious way to counteract their snooping and I'm sure someone has done this before just to mess with organizations like them.

I remember reading a while ago that they had some much data they couldn't effectively go through everything.

What is also surprising is someone managed to get the source code of XKeyScore which is quite interesting some either there is someone leaking from the inside or the NSAs security sucks.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

21 minutes ago, mikat said:

If you think you're not being watched in some way or another, you're ignorant, I just don't worry about it anymore. (not towards OP, but towards anyone)

If I was that worried about being watched id have used tails constantly, ran everything via a tor node and never carry my 2 phones...

But it is a bit laughable this, I wonder who they specifically target...

32 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i think the deal with the NSA watching linux is mostly because of the kind of idiots that download kali linux because then they are a hacker.

in the end they're watching everyone, but just like the guy behind your supermarket's CCTV system prioritizes people with a long coat and sunglasses, the NSA has to filter "in some way", and the outlets for kiddo's that think its cool to be a hacker are a very easy pick to make.

This is true, I use kali but its in an isolated VM.

But apart from the hipsters who use linux because its "Cool", there are some serious geniuses out there who use Linux who could give the NSA a hard time.

I would say Jacob Applebaum but I am unsure of where I stand with him at the moment.

the article says that countries like Canada, the UK, New Zealand, Australia, and the US are exempt from this surveillance.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

tor is like wearing a mask into a city centre, you keep your privacy but in turn makes you stand out.

if you want to stay hidden you have to look like everyone else.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

the article says that countries like Canada, the UK, New Zealand, Australia, and the US are exempt from this surveillance.

5 eyes rule, doesn't mean GCHQ isn't doing it on the backend

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

tor is like wearing a mask into a city centre, you keep your privacy but in turn makes you stand out.

if you want to stay hidden you have to look like everyone else.

Problem is with that looking like everyone else you become less secure, I suppose taking note from edward snowden if the NSA wants to attack you, they will

7 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

Problem is with that looking like everyone else you become less secure, I suppose taking note from edward snowden if the NSA wants to attack you, they will

pretty much. I run encryption on all my devices, I don't use a vpn because I dint do anything illegal though I have looked about tor.

anyone that is looking to secure themselves definitely shouldn't be running windows.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

pretty much. I run encryption on all my devices, I don't use a vpn because I dint do anything illegal though I have looked about tor.

anyone that is looking to secure themselves definitely shouldn't be running windows.

This is true, shamefully I run OSX which isn't much better to be honest but I have taken steps to at least increase its security a bit more, I will eventually move to Linux on this thing.

Another bad thing is I am still tied to Windows by work :( but at least I run a VPN most of the time (Unless I need to remote onto a client thanks to their security systems.)

To be honest the only real systems someone should be using is BSD based or Linux based, I cant say Unix because OSX comes under that.