what broke in my pc?

Fassive

hello its me again...

so ive been having a lot of problems with my pc lately.

my gpu doesnt work, 

my pc doesnt load graphics drivers and it boots up into a weird resolution or very low pixel count 

if i play a game it crashes and my screens turn orange and grey 

before getting my replacement gtx 970 i had a 780 that blew up and sparked, so im wondering if i just got a broken 970 or something else broke in my pc.

what i tried to fix it:

reinstalled windows 10 (to see if it was a drive problem)

used another pci-e 16x (to see if the motherboard might be broken)

all temps/loads are fine.

specs:

msi gtx 970

i5 3570

asrock B75 pro3

cooler master gm550 

See if you can't stick in a friend's rig, and if it works fine, then blame your motherboard.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

See if you can't stick in a friend's rig, and if it works fine, then blame your motherboard.

i'm going to a buddy's house tomorrow to see, and then ill blame my motherboard :P

you can try putting the card into another pcie slot, since thats problably the weakest point on the board. the fact that you had a gpu that broke before makes me think it could be the psu.the one you have isnt exactly known for quality

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

you can try putting the card into another pcie slot, since thats problably the weakest point on the board. the fact that you had a gpu that broke before makes me think it could be the psu.the one you have isnt exactly known for quality

''what i tried to fix it:

used another pci-e 16x (to see if the motherboard might be broken)''

guess you didnt read :P tried it already but nothing happend 

2 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

''what i tried to fix it:

used another pci-e 16x (to see if the motherboard might be broken)''

guess you didnt read :P tried it already but nothing happend 

They do have a point with the PSU potentially being an issue though. A card exploding and sparking is a pretty spectacular failure.

You said that you've been having a lot of issues lately. What other issues are you experiencing?

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

They do have a point with the PSU potentially being an issue though. A card exploding and sparking is a pretty spectacular failure.

You said that you've been having a lot of issues lately. What other issues are you experiencing?

well with ''the other issues'' i meant that every gpu except the cheapo gt520 i put in it doesnt work.

and the fact that my 780 exploded 5 days after me getting it :(

3 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

well with ''the other issues'' i meant that every gpu except the cheapo gt520 i put in it doesnt work.

and the fact that my 780 exploded 5 days after me getting it :(

Aha! Now that is curious.

I'm convinced it's your PSU then.

The GT520 does not have auxillary power connectors, it gets it's power from the mobo. The 780 and 970 both have auxillary 12v connectors.

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

Aha! Now that is curious.

I'm convinced it's your PSU then.

The GT520 does not have auxillary power connectors, it gets it's power from the mobo. The 780 and 970 both have auxillary 12v connectors.

so youre saying buy a new psu and it sould be fixed? ill go to a buddies house first and see if that works. it might indeed be the psu

2 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

so youre saying buy a new psu and it sould be fixed? ill go to a buddies house first and see if that works. it might indeed be the psu

Test everything before going out and buying something else.

Check the GPU with your friend, also see if you can try another PSU in your PC (maybe bring the whole PC to the friend's house?)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, SgtRafsta said:

Well, I don't know if simply plugging in another PSU would solve your issue. That really depends on the damage that's already been done. The 780 won't be coming back to life, and who can really say what state your 970 is in...

For now, go along with your plan of testing it in your friend's rig and hope for the best. What you could do in the mean time is pull out that GT520, and do some testing with it. See if you can recreate the issue. If you can't, and it works fine, then your motherboard might be alright.