Computer smells like its burning with new amd 480

Hey there, first time poster.

I finally received my xfx Rx 480 in the mail and put it into my pc. After running overwatch for about 10 minutes I started to notice a burning rubber smell from my pc. I checked gpu temperature and the 480 seemed to be running at 80C which seemed fine since I am not using aftermarket cooling. I shut the computer off but still have no clue why this happened. I have had this computer for around a year with a Gtx 960 before. Any help or diagnostics would be appreciated.

My build:

i5-4460 3.2ghz 

xfx rx 480 8gb

8 gab crucial ballistix ram

500w evga Psu 

1tb western digital hdd 

250gb Samsung ssd

image.jpeg

Most new electronics smell funny for a while. Could be dust burning also.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

If it's overclocked, maybe it's that whole "pulling too much current from the motherboard" thing. It doesn't look like you have that great of a board, so maybe the traces just aren't happy. 

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If it's overclocked, maybe it's that whole "pulling too much current from the motherboard" thing. It doesn't look like you have that great of a board, so maybe the traces just aren't happy. 

The card isn't overclocked and the motherboard is a b85m-g r2.0 from asus which claimed to have support for the card. 

Normal for new electronics. When I build my new system, the smell was very intense once it heated up, but only for like two or three days. After that it disapearded.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

I would suspect it's the 480 burning the traces, but we don't have enough evidence to prove that.  It's just my gut for now...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Squrtfrz said:

The card isn't overclocked and the motherboard is a b85m-g r2.0 from asus which claimed to have support for the card. 

Well boards with B series chipset are budget and compete shit. I've learned my lesson there. Maybe talk to xfx support. 

How strong is the smell? 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Well boards with B series chipset are budget and compete shit. I've learned my lesson there. Maybe talk to xfx support. 

How strong is the smell? 

The smell is only really apparent when standing inside the room somewhat next to it, but having the window open might attribute to venting out the smell.

2 minutes ago, Squrtfrz said:

The smell is only really apparent when standing inside the room somewhat next to it, but having the window open might attribute to venting out the smell.

So it's not that bad.  Probably not an issue. 

ASU

Eh, it's probably just the new GPU smell.

Now, if it suddenly bursts into flames, THEN you might have to worry about something potentially being wrong.

5 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Now, if it suddenly bursts into flames, THEN you might have to worry about something potentially being wrong.

Haha thanks for the heads up :)

11 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Nah thats just a lighting effect

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

26 minutes ago, Squrtfrz said:

Haha thanks for the heads up :)

But in all seriousness, if it suddenly stops working or the screen starts shutting off or something like that, that's not a good sign...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But in all seriousness, if it suddenly stops working or the screen starts shutting off or something like that, that's not a good sign...

Basically

if it breaks, it might be broken 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

13 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Basically

if it breaks, it might be broken 

yes exactly xD 

Hey i looked it up and it seems that there has been a lot of burning Rx 480 graphic cards

bad news, i considered buying a rx 480 (not reference) or a gtx 1060

unplug the PC from the wall, press the power button to drain the caps

remove the RX480 from the system and inspect visually the PCIe 16 connector on both the card and the mobo; also the 6pin power connector