Deciding for a motherboard...

I'm planning on start a pc build, mainly for gaming. I dont want to overclock so I decided to go with the i7-6700 non k version. For the MB I was thinking on the asus Z170 pro gaming with 16Gbs of memory at 3000MHz, but I read that if you are not going to OC, it was better to go with the H170 series, but the speed for the ram on this series is limited to 2133MHz. I don't have any compatibility issue with both options about the CPU or something, but I would like to get some help about this change I'm planning to do. The H170 is $25 usd cheaper than the Z170. The RAM keep the price at both speeds. Is it worth? Is the H170 series a good board?

Thanks for your help!  

I thought you don't want to overclock??? Why do you want to overclock your RAM?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

for $25 getting a z170 board is not bad even if you dont plan overclocking

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

11 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I don't want to overclock my RAM, they are just different products. One at 3000MHz and other at 2133MHz. Depending on which board I decide to buy i'll buy the RAM

3 minutes ago, Afabril said:

I don't want to overclock my RAM, they are just different products. One at 3000MHz and other at 2133MHz. Depending on which board I decide to buy i'll buy the RAM

the 3000MHz one is overclocked...

both JEDEC and Intel specification strictly tells you to run DDR4 at 2133MHz 15-16-16-16 at 1.2V or 2400MHz 15-18-18-18 at 1.2V, if you're running anything faster than that - it's out of spec, it's overclocked

get over your ego, push trough your fears and get the god damn K chip like a real man and start overclocking!!!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the 3000MHz one is overclocked...

both JEDEC and Intel specification strictly tells you to run DDR4 at 2133MHz 15-16-16-16 at 1.2V or 2400MHz 15-18-18-18 at 1.2V, if you're running anything faster than that - it's out of spec, it's overclocked

get over your ego, push trough your fears and get the god damn K chip like a real man and start overclocking!!!

The problems for me is the money. I don't have enough budget for my build and since I'm not really interested on OC i'll take that as a saving... Thanks anyway for your opinion!

2 minutes ago, Afabril said:

The problems for me is the money. I don't have enough budget for my build and since I'm not really interested on OC i'll take that as a saving... Thanks anyway for your opinion!

then why not get a cheaper board and cheaper memory?

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

then why not get a cheaper board and cheaper memory?

Was wondering about quality of the cheaper board. I want to save but I don't want to get a useless product. That's why i opened this topic.

1 minute ago, Afabril said:

Was wondering about quality of the cheaper board. I want to save but I don't want to get a useless product. That's why i opened this topic.

it's not useless, they are all pretty much equal except for the chipset specific features like overclocking an M.2 for example, the H chipset might have less SATA and USB connections, quality wise they are all great, you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper motherboard or memory

Ram running at stock speeds will not bottleneck your system for gaming. If they are the same price get the faster one

1 hour ago, The Realist said:

for $25 getting a z170 board is not bad even if you dont plan overclocking

For $25 yea a Z170 board would be the way to go. Allows for future expansion later and more I/O which is always nice

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

Lol being pushy aside DXMember is right. Theres lots of guides out there and you can have a nice moderate OC thats basically free performance. There were alot of guys rocking i7-2500K for years because of how well it overclocked.

1 hour ago, Master Sonic Wisebeard said:

Ram running at stock speeds will not bottleneck your system for gaming. If they are the same price get the faster one

For $25 yea a Z170 board would be the way to go. Allows for future expansion later and more I/O which is always nice

Lol being pushy aside DXMember is right. Theres lots of guides out there and you can have a nice moderate OC thats basically free performance. There were alot of guys rocking i7-2500K for years because of how well it overclocked.

a i7-2500K exists? HOLT SHIT DIDNT KNOW!

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

You can oc the 6700 none k anyway.  

Also if you are so short on money why not just get an i5.  Most single gpus won't be helped much at all by having an i7. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016