LG's low G5 sales led to some drastic decisions by the company

Djole123

So, LG's smartphone had a great potential, but the world wasn't ready for it yet. Because of that the company is taking some very drastic measures.

20160704_160021.jpg

LG's latest report states that it will be firing some staff and completely restructure it's mobile division. They will also make a special 'program managment office'. The office will be managed by LG Mobile's head Cho Juno.

To be honest, I was expecting this. The G5 is good in it's own ways, but the severly overpriced modules just weren't cutting it. But they were at least trying, and I kinda appreciate that.

Source:

http://wccftech.com/lg-g5-abysmal-sales-performance-led-company-make-drastic-decisions/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I just hope that they stick with a removable battery in the future. I adore my G4, but I don't know if I would have been as happy with a G5. I feel like they tried to be too gimmicky with the G5. 

I wonder how soon we'll see the outcome of this change in actual devices. I'm guessing CES or MWC next year at the earliest although that is still quite a short while for a major change in structure and ultimately strategy.

What's odd is that the G5 was apparently selling really well (for an LG device that is) in the beginning but I guess it declined soon after.

Another odd thing is how LG can produce such abysmal panels for their smartphones when they are supposed to be one of the biggest and best display manufacturers in the business.

I wonder what exactly went wrong besides the LG Friends thing which was doomed to fail not only on price but in implementation too. LG doesn't have the clout to introduce such an ecosystem on a single phone and maybe a few iterations going forward. No one is willing to buy into that.

That and the whole primer issue plus the associated QA problems. Seems like a botched product launch to me. They tried something new but it just didn't work out.

But I liked the g5

tumblr_m9n0yoEvYl1reu1vyo1_500.gif

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well that sucks: Motorola has now been kinda soiled by the Lenovo thing and LG was the only real alternative to Samsung. I hate to say it but I might need to import my next handset probably a Xiaomi or something like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It wasn't because the world wasn't ready for it, it was because it was a bad phone compared to all the flagship phones. 

I was really looking forward to that DAC, but after finding out that it wasn't coming to the US, I just gave up. Also, what happened to the other modules? There's only 3 total. They should have had more when the phone launched.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

1 hour ago, Repost said:

It wasn't because the world wasn't ready for it, it was because it was a bad phone compared to all the flagship phones. 

Actually I think they did an OK job with it. But it's 2016 and "OK" is no longer acceptable for anything above $300.

To be $600-800 you need to be perfect or damn near it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Octagoncow said:

I just hope that they stick with a removable battery in the future. I adore my G4, but I don't know if I would have been as happy with a G5. I feel like they tried to be too gimmicky with the G5. 

i upgrade from a G3 (used it for a few months) to a G5. If i'm not mistaken, the g3 is similar to the g4. The G5 takes everything from those two phones and makes it a million times better. It truley is a great phone regardless of what Linus said in the videos. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

As long as they V line goes for great features, find some new usages for the secondary display and keep using greamt AMP&DAC combo, i don't care

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Honestly I think the whole swappable idea was pretty stupid and the phone didn't even look good. The design of my g4 is much much better. 

Just make an even nicer version of the g4 with slimmer bezzle and better audio solution next time. I don't even give a flying fuck about front facing speakers which Linus is biasing about every time. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

They made some nice choices with the V10 but man the marketing for that was weak. Only found out a little after it launched last year and I checked their website for details lol. Hope they keep up that line. :)

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Sad to hear. I liked the idea of the modularity of the phone, but the fact its not waterproof killed any appeal I had for it.  

Give it onboard encryption, even further perfection in the hand(curve), keep OLED on it, and thicken it to allow a 5000mAh battery.  You can have my money.  I believe in you LG.

If the G5 was just a G4 with a metal frame and the obvious incremental improvements it would have sold truckloads

I don't know what LG was thinking

Well aside from missing things, would be great to include such modules though. Or at least so you can swap between two let's say.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just recalled that they don't allow hotswap either, which is a retarded oversight. If they put in a 300-500 mAh integrated battery that was configured to be 'last resort' meaning the swappable battery is drained first, that would have been a very good idea. That way you could also hotswap all those modules along side a new battery. 

No down time for swap = much more useful and less of a nuisance.

Lenovo does it on some of their Thinkpads too I believe. It's brilliant.