What are some other competitive games that reward players for their personal skill?

Webkitnote

I was addicted to League of Legends but they removed solo-queue and Diamond rank can be acquired by every Bronzie who goes premade with 3 Challenger boosters.

It especially sucks where you are single man, and they're put in team with 4-man premade.

What are some other competitive games that reward players for their personal skill? By rank or by a number. With high skill-cap where you can really master things and make people go: "wow".

Edit: That can be played with friends, but still has option to translate skill onto leaderboard as solo-player in rankable matches.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, it takes a long time to master all the techniques and is super hard to get to be the best ever. You have to learn a LOT of techniques to actually compete on semi competitive level and have to be AMAZING to win any major tournament. It's also a 1v1 tournament (you have 2v2 tournament too though) game, so you can go solo and don't have to depend on teammates. 

But it's a whole lot different than LoL. It's a way different genre, but also the way you play is different. Competitive is also done at actual tournament and not at all online. You do have some online ladders and Dolphin emulation is getting way better (recently they made it so input lag is just as low as on consoles with some nifty tricks), but every major tournament is still done locally.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Counter Cyka Global Blyat

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Super Smash Bros. Melee, it takes a long time to master all the techniques and is super hard to get to be the best ever. You have to learn a LOT of techniques to actually compete on semi competitive level and have to be AMAZING to win any major tournament. It's also a 1v1 tournament (you have 2v2 tournament too though) game, so you can go solo and don't have to depend on teammates. 

But it's a whole lot different than LoL. It's a way different genre, but also the way you play is different. Competitive is also done at actual tournament and not at all online. You do have some online ladders and Dolphin emulation is getting way better (recently they made it so input lag is just as low as on consoles with some nifty tricks), but every major tournament is still done locally.

Yea, and can I play with friends in "non-ranked" matches, and can I run it on PC?

2 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

Counter Cyka Global Blyat

Hahahaha. Yea, noted.

1 minute ago, nskceaj said:

Even tho i hate to say it but...... Dota 2 ?

I'm neither hater nor lover or fanboy of LoL or DotA 2. But DotA 2 has this turn-mechanic that I just can't play with. I tried it and it didn't look MOBA to me, it looked damn hard, and I want something that's easy to pick-up and really hard to master.

7 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

Yea, and can I play with friends in "non-ranked" matches, and can I run it on PC?

It can run on PC in the Dolphin emulator (the emulator is legal, but getting the game is gray zone at best, so can't say anything about that) and you can play with multiple people locally on it I think. You can also do online play, which is usually referred to as "netplay" in the community. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Battlefield 4. 

Don't buy hardline. It is crap. That game is under developed....

And the upcoming battlefield 1. 

But we have to wait and see. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Battlefield 4. 

Don't buy hardline. It is crap. That game is under developed....

And the upcoming battlefield 1. 

But we have to wait and see. 

These titles are constantly getting replaced. I'd like to play something that stays here for always and is just getting updates.

11 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

These titles are constantly getting replaced. I'd like to play something that stays here for always and is just getting updates.

Trust me, Battlefield 4 is not gonna be replaced for a long time.

A lot of the players bought hardline, played it for a while, then go back to BF4.

That's how good it is.

And I think that there is not a single game in this world won't get replaced forever. 

I have been playing league on and off since season 3.

And I still miss season 3. Season 5 was horrible. 

Eventually it will die. Same as other games. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Trust me, Battlefield 4 is not gonna be replaced for a long time.

A lot of the players bought hardline, played it for a while, then go back to BF4.

That's how good it is.

And I think that there is not a single game in this world won't get replaced forever. 

I have been playing league on and off since season 3.

And I still miss season 3. Season 5 was horrible. 

Eventually it will die. Same as other games. 

Are there "cool" people in Battlefield 4 who have fun, or is it massive "everybody for themselves"? I'd like to go premade with friends, but I'd like to play as a team, instead of just running in separate directions.

1 minute ago, Webkitnote said:

Are there "cool" people in Battlefield 4 who have fun, or is it massive "everybody for themselves"? I'd like to go premade with friends, but I'd like to play as a team, instead of just running in separate directions.

If you wanna play with your friends, BF4 is the best game for you.

Go check out those youtube video, a lot of players play with their friends, classmates and etc.

You can approach a tank as an engineer, your friend can help you locate the tank from far as a sniper, then an assault can try to distract the tank by running around.

That IS teamwork.

Here is just an example... Go search bf4 funny moment on youtube.

Not a lot of rager.

That I can assure you. 

And it is not a "go out and shoot all the enemy" type of game/.

If you keep doing that, you are gonna die, A LOT. 

It is a strategy game. And it is fun. I think origin is having a sale right now.

5 pounds or euro or sth, not sure.  

Any game with 1p ranking should work. Something like Rocket League, Quake Live, Starcraft 2, any fighting game. Games like Battlefield and CSGO appreciate players individual skill, but because of teamplay, they require more than just heavenly aim.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, Webkitnote said:

Heck yes.

www.smashladder.com

This site has a ranking & matchmaking system for Dolphin netplay, as well as setup instructions to get the emulator running well for the game. Enjoy!

On 7/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, Webkitnote said:

I was addicted to League of Legends but they removed solo-queue and Diamond rank can be acquired by every Bronzie who goes premade with 3 Challenger boosters.

It especially sucks where you are single man, and they're put in team with 4-man premade.

What are some other competitive games that reward players for their personal skill? By rank or by a number. With high skill-cap where you can really master things and make people go: "wow".

Edit: That can be played with friends, but still has option to translate skill onto leaderboard as solo-player in rankable matches.

Fighting games.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

• 1 month later...
On 03/07/2016 at 6:59 PM, Webkitnote said:

Consider World of Warcraft - 3v3 Arena specifically. Any naysayers that suggest its an "EZ GAME" haven't tried to get past 2500 rating in Arena.

It has a massively high skill-cap and a reasonably low entry point, with tonnes of online resources to catch up with. There are loads and loads of things you can do that make other people go "Woah, that was awesome" - like using abilities to immune instant-cast spells at close range based on pure instinct or incredibly quick reactions, or interrupting a 0.5 second cast on someone who you aren't even targeting.

Also consider Starcraft 2 - Its the highest skill-cap game in the industry and rewards individuals and individuals alone. Its impossibly hard to master, it took me months of intense practice and stress to get to Gold and any failures (as it is not a team game) were my own fault entirely. Also, if you "git gd" at SC2, you're pretty much good at the hardest competitive ever conceived, other than StarCraft - Brood Wars, that alone brings bragging rights.

CPU - i7 6800k @ 4.2Ghz

Mobo - Asus X99-A-II

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX White 32GB @ 3200Mhz

GPU - MSI GTX 1080ti Lightning X @ 2063/12528

Storage - Samsung SM961 256GB, Samsung 840 Pro 250GB & Sandisk Ultra II 256GB

Cooling - Corsair H110i (2x ML140 White LED)

PSU - RM850x

Case - Anidees Ai Crystal

Monitor - Acer XB270HU bprz @ 1440p / 144hz IPS

Sound - FiiO E10K & AKG K712 PROs

Peripherals - Razer Blackwidow TE & Corsiar Scimitar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On July 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Minibois said:

I second Melee recommendations. Gotta drop some extra cash to get into it ($100+) and a very different style than most competitive games. It's incredibly rewarding, and the skill cap is the highest possible. 20XX is 100s of years away.

Theres a unique feeling from learning these near impossible physical techniques. Some techniques exist that only a few players in the world can actually consistently do, like multi-shines, ledge cancelling, hax dashes, etc.