Best gpu for 1080p 60hz

Ram_senpai

I am building a pc and dont know which is better. Gtx 970 or 980? Dont argue about 970 or r9 390 cause i prefer the 970 :). So is it 970 or 980

Definitely GTX 980, if it's within your budget. But compare prices on GTX 980s to used 980tis, and even new GTX 1070s. A lot of places are selling GTX 980s for more than what a GTX 1070 costs.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Personal experience, the 970 rocked on my 1080p 60hz display. Now, it will start to falter if you ever get a faster display, or a higher resolution one. In addition, I'm not sure how much longer 3.5gb of USABLE ram will cut it. But the 970 is a very solid card.

I know you said you don't want to do a 390...but nonetheless, you should consider the RX480 ;)

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

Aftermarket RX 480 might be your best bet, unless you can somehow find a GTX 970 under ~240.

4 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

a 4gb GT 640 would be much better, at least we know how it performs.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

The GTX 1060 is rumoured to launch July 7th, so might want to wait for that. It supposedly has around GTX 980 performance

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

Considering literally every place has leaked the specs right now.... you can go ahead and know it performs better or on-par with the RX480 and is due any day now. But on subject, the 1060 will supposedly be around the 980 performance for £250 at the most.

3 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

Won't be as big a disappointment as the 480 ;)

wait and se what the 1060 brings, look for a 980ti cheap, or consider a 1070 to be well placed for a few years

Just now, Coombzy said:

Considering literally every place has leaked the specs right now.... you can go ahead and know it performs better or on-par with the RX480 and is due any day now.

But all this is rumours  and unconfirmed news. But yeah i want the 1060 for the right price. I at least hope so

1 minute ago, Cela1 said:

Won't be as big a disappointment as the 480 ;)

A card that performs on-par with a 970 for cheaper AND with more vRam is a disappoint in what way?

1 minute ago, Ram_senpai said:

But all this is rumours  and unconfirmed news. But yeah i want the 1060 for the right price. I at least hope so

You can expect the 1060 to be out in a few weeks much like when the 1080 and 1070 were leaked beforehand.

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The GTX 1060 is rumoured to launch July 7th, so might want to wait for that. It supposedly has around GTX 980 performance

Yea then the RX 480 was rumoured to have the performance of a GTX 980 and look at it the performance of a GTX 970,The GTX 1060 will not have the performance of a GTX 980,Probs will be a GTX 970 Refresh

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

1 minute ago, Coombzy said:

A card that performs on-par with a 970 for cheaper AND with more vRam is a disappoint in what way?

Not a disappointment that it is bad... it is still great value. 

I mean it is a disappointment as I expected a lot more from it.

Just now, Coombzy said:

It was hyped and did not livr ip to the rumours

1 minute ago, Cela1 said:

Not a disappointment that it is bad... it is still great value. 

I mean it is a disappointment as I expected a lot more from it.

It's not the top end card and never was meant to be. the VR performance is where it shines.

2 minutes ago, Ram_senpai said:

It was hyped and did not livr ip to the rumours

People should have known from the *80 it wasn't a high end card.

1 minute ago, Coombzy said:

It's not the top end card and never was meant to be. the VR performance is where it shines.

*Shines?*

I think you mean barely pases.

8 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

4 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

It's not a 2016 mid-range card, either, it's a low-mid card.

For me, it's disappointing that AMD is competing against nearly 2-year old standards. But it's great that AMD can offer value performance to a lot of people. Those people shouldn't expect to be playing 1080p maxed settings in AAA games one year from now, though.

Just now, Cela1 said:

*Shines?*

I think you mean barely pases.

Come on guys dont argue. The rx 480 is a great card. Just wait for vega

12 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Yea then the RX 480 was rumoured to have the performance of a GTX 980 and look at it the performance of a GTX 970,The GTX 1060 will not have the performance of a GTX 980,Probs will be a GTX 970 Refresh

Naw, I really doubt Nvidia is going to pull an AMD. Nvidia didn't hold back with its GTX 1070 and 1080.

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

In an AMD slide on how they name their cards, the RX 490 is suggested to be 4X gaming, while the RX 480 and RX 470 are suggested to be for 1440p gaming. The 470 and 480 definitely aren't 1440p cards in AAA games, so I think the RX 490 also will be more for 1440p, and not 4k. Something must have either gone wrong with AMD's production this round, or they completely misread the market.

image.png

60 FPS in DOTA2, LOL... those are among the most light-weight games people will be playing with these cards.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Naw, I really doubt Nvidia is going to pull an AMD. Nvidia didn't hold back with its GTX 1070 and 1080.

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

Yea they didnt,thats why they cost $100-150 more than Nvidia said they were gonna be...

Until i see benchmark results im calling BS on these leaks and rumours...i dont give a fuck what Nvidia says since they just manipulate the costumers...

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.