Rx 470 TDP and Performance Revealed

33 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yup, that's basically the same thing as my guess! I'm guessing that next year vega 10 will be the new fury and fury X at 500<, vega 11 will be the 390/X replacement at 300-450 dollars, and p10 and p11 will stay where they are. Vega 10 would have hbm 2 and vega 11 g5x. Of course vega 11 isn't confirmed but it just doesn't make sense for AMD to leave a whole section of the market uncontested.

I'm still fairly positive that AMD will launch an RX 485, which is a Polaris 10 with more a few more CUs and probably higher clock speeds (binned chips), and that it'll launch in like a year or be an Apple exclusive chip sometime in upcoming products - or both (as in Apple exclusive for the foreseeable future until stock is good and then desktop launch)

14 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'm still fairly positive that AMD will launch an RX 485, which is a Polaris 10 with more a few more CUs and probably higher clock speeds (binned chips), and that it'll launch in like a year or be an Apple exclusive chip sometime in upcoming products - or both (as in Apple exclusive for the foreseeable future until stock is good and then desktop launch)

Wait, with a few more CUs? But p10 maxes out at 36 CUs...

Me no understand

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

18 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Given AMD's track record, I think it'll get at least 10% faster in the course of its life span. AMD's GPUs have a tendency to start off a bit less than expected but improving over time - a slow start if you well. Nvidia has a tendency to start with a bang and impressing everyone all around but very little improvement during its life span and eventually performing less than expected when driver support trickles to a halt.

I think that's a fair presentation of the two. One could argue that AMD should be better prepared when launching their cards and I'll agree on that. The inconsistent launch performance hurts their sales.

my 970 has gotten a rough 10% faster since when i got it, if that's the mindblowing driver optimizations the amd side of the pond is talking about i may be sticking to my nvidia habits a bit longer :/

and if 10% is future proof, amd sees the future to be very, very stale.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wait, with a few more CUs? But p10 maxes out at 36 CUs...

Me no understand

Speculation of course but some of us just think something's fishy with Polaris 10 and the new node, so that the yields on the good stuff aren't up to snuff. And AMD's new naming scheme leaves room for RX xx5 variants. Although perhaps that would still be a 36 CU binned chip anyway.

And there is rumors brewing that Apple is ordering a fuckton of chips from AMD, so if that's the case, then they're definitely reserving some chips for that order and Apple usually demands priority and the best they can offer.

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my 970 has gotten a rough 10% faster since when i got it, if that's the mindblowing driver optimizations the amd side of the pond is talking about i may be sticking to my nvidia habits a bit longer :/

Sadly I can't find the table I'm looking for, but basically it shows how well AMD cards improve over the years whereas Nvidia cards stagnate.

The 10% was a conservative estimate. I'd rather be conservative about it than promise 30% improvements, particularly when I can't remember the exact numbers and that I can't find the thing I'm looking for that backs up my statement.

31 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Driver optimization record includes the 290x losing handily to the 780ti on launch and is now handing the 780ti its ass back after kicking it off.

7 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Driver optimization record includes the 290x losing handily to the 780ti on launch and is now handing the 780ti its ass back after kicking it off.

Not to mention how at first the 680 beat the 7970 at stock and now the 7970 is tied with if not better than the 680.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ace_cheaply said:

Because Polaris 10 came first, and then they decided to make the smaller, slower Polaris 11.   They started on Vega 10 first, and realized they wanted an uber gpu, and so they have Vega 11.  It's the sequence of development

Polaris 11 was there first for the mobile market. AMD later decided that it wanted a beefed up version for the desktop and somehow called it Polaris 10. The Vega part's right though.

Ye ole' train

35 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

7970 overtaking the 680 and 290x overtaking the 780ti may not be entirely due to driver optimization. I admit AMD's longterm support is better but there are also hardware reasons for it.  The old nvidia GPUs still perform well on old games but when you move towards newer 2015 and 2016 titles demanding more memory throughput and VRAM and high res textures etc things swing the other way. The 680 has only 2GB.

today a GTX 970 is equivalent to a rx480. In two years time when most of the AAA games are using Vulkan or dx12 obviously the rx 480 will pull ahead. And then probably people will blame nvidia drivers again.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:56 AM, WereCat said:

Just watch PCPER review .. 

Those were 8GB cards that had a bios that allowed for switching to 4GB so they could test the 4GB card without needing to send reviewers 2

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

46 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Polaris 11 was there first for the mobile market. AMD later decided that it wanted a beefed up version for the desktop and somehow called it Polaris 10. The Vega part's right though.

Actually it's the other way around... P10 came first and then AMD cut it down to make P11. If you watched the entire interview pcper had with Raja (I don't why I watched that whole thing it's over an hour what am I doing with my life) Raja mentioned somewhere in there that P10 was the original Polaris GPU they developed and that P11 came after P10.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Humbug said:

7970 overtaking the 680 and 290x overtaking the 780ti may not be entirely due to driver optimization. I admit AMD's longterm support is better but there are also hardware reasons for it.  The old nvidia GPUs still perform well on old games but when you move towards newer 2015 and 2016 titles demanding more memory throughput and VRAM and high res textures etc things swing the other way. The 680 has only 2GB.

today a GTX 970 is equivalent to a rx480. In two years time when most of the AAA games are using Vulkan or dx12 obviously the rx 480 will pull ahead. And then probably people will blame nvidia drivers again.

AMD was always ahead with the VRAM game. 580 had 1.5GB, 6970 had 2GB. 680 had 2, 7970 had 3. 780(including the Ti) had 3, 290(X) had 4 (and later 8GB as well). 980 had 4, 390(X) had 8. In almost all cases (certainly the most recent ones) the memory throughput was also way higher. The 980Ti had a throughput of 336GB/sec, while the 390 series had 384GB/sec on a wide 512-bit bus Only with the Fury series did AMD have lower VRAM numbers than its competition, just because of the use of HBM.

Ye ole' train

7 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

AMD was always ahead with the VRAM game. 580 had 1.5GB, 6970 had 2GB. 680 had 2, 7970 had 3. 780(including the Ti) had 3, 290(X) had 4 (and later 8GB as well). 980 had 4, 390(X) had 8. In almost all cases (certainly the most recent ones) the memory throughput was also way higher. The 980Ti had a throughput of 336GB/sec, while the 390 series had 384GB/sec on a wide 512-bit bus Only with the Fury series did AMD have lower VRAM numbers than its competition, just because of the use of HBM.

Even though Nvidia had less memory throughout they usually have had much better compression though-AMD memory compression was essentially non existent until gcn 1.2 whereas all Maxwell cards had a lot of memory compression going on essentially making the actual memory bandwidth on Maxwell cards much higher than what it seemed from face value.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, Energycore said:

32 CUs on the 470? That's like, 88% of an RX 480.

I might get a 470 instead :D

But there's lower clockspeeds. It should be around 70-80% of an RX480

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, laminutederire said:

It was like that for reviewer cards which were 8GB ones. We'd have to see a 4GB to see if it really has those.

RX 470 is only available with 4GB VRAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 01/07/2016 at 3:45 AM, Repost said:

Considering the 480 already performs similar to a 380x in many games and benchmarks, the real value card is the 470 then. 

you realize that 480 is 10% faster than 970 ? 10% slower than 980 ? in what planet does that equates  to similar to 380X, thats 40% performance difference...the 470 should be about 10% slower than 970, making it at least 20% faster than 380X with much better OC headroom, since 470 spec are too close  to 480 it should be less than 7-10% from spec and 5-10% from clock

Wait what? Isnt overwatch meant to be "demanding", even at 1080p? I tought the 1080 didnt even have over 200 fps at max settings, how can a RX 470 have 121?

PS: No, i dont have or ever played the game, which probably couldnt be maxed either on my current 770...

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But there's lower clockspeeds. It should be around 70-80% of an RX480

RX 470 is only available with 4GB VRAM.

But you can get them clock speeds back through overclocking! :) 

1 hour ago, alamox said:

you realize that 480 is 10% faster than 970 ? 10% slower than 980 ? in what planet does that equates  to similar to 380X, thats 40% performance difference...the 470 should be about 10% slower than 970, making it at least 20% faster than 380X with much better OC headroom, since 470 spec are too close  to 480 it should be less than 7-10% from spec and 5-10% from clock

Wait what where did you see that? The 480 is 10% faster than the 970? What? I think that's only in dx12....

Plus just look at my OP.... The firestrike score of the 470 is between the 380 and 380x, and I looked around a bit and it seems in the other games the 470 is around the level of the 380x.

If you have evidence to suggest otherwise please show it to me, but I don't see where you are getting those claims from.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Makes sense to release small Vega first - yields on 14nm are sure to be terrible for the first batch and AMD doesn't have to compete with GP102 until it's actually released.

So the 490/490X will be 1070 / 1080 level cards and then the Furies will be 1080ti level

Maybe.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

But... what TDP is the 470 REALLY going to run at.... :)

The 480 is capable of drawing close to 200 watts actually, which is not even close to being as efficient as the 1070, rotfl.

So will the 470 draw closer to the actual TDP or 140-150 watts actually.