Recommend me a new headset.

christianled59

My current headset just broke after 2 years. I really really loved it. I had the Siberia Elite V2; very comfortable and good sound.

I'd like another headset that's comfortable, has good sound quality, and aesthetically pleasing. If it has leds, I don't want it unless they are blue. It needs a good mic as well. 

I care about comfort more than sound.

Thanks for and feedback!

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

imo desk mic + actual good pair of headphones is always better.

I use a Samson Meteor mic and modded Sony MDR-V6's.

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

imo desk mic + actual good pair of headphones is always better.

I use a Samson Meteor mic and modded Sony MDR-V6's.

I don't necessarily have room for a desk mic. Not an audiophile by any means. I have 4 monitors and an htc vive sitting on my cramped desk as is.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

The HyperX Cloud Revolvers seem like a good choice. I haven't personally use them but reviews seem to be very positive. 

I have two answers for you.

1. Go with a really nice pair of headphones. Then, either get a desk mic OR the Modmic or some other clip on mic. I do use the Modmic which works great.

Why get headphones and not a headset? Headphones are made for producing really great sound. Headsets are meant for gaming and don't always have the best sound, might have some boom to them for the explosions and such but don't have as good of sound quality as a really good pair of headphones.

I would suggest an open back headphones as well for gaming.

http://www.modmic.com/

4withcaseMUTELESS_new_cap_6eaa8252-25cf-42cb-ab8d-61eeb72f7db9_1024x1024.jpg

2. I believe the HyperX headsets are actually pretty decent. These are made by a decent brand of headphone makers. These ones are pretty popular and are solid for most people. The sound is suppose to be pretty decent and the mic is fine.

Headphones and desktop mic will give you the best option. You can also get software to give you good virtual surround sound for your headphones and games. A modmic would be second best to a good desktop mic. HyperX headset (or possibly a different good one) is the third best option for quality of sound.

I wouldn't go for any "gaming" headsets since those usually have pretty crappy drivers in them, I'd go for the Sennheiser HD 598s and a real Mic :P

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

I would personally suggest Creative Fatal1ty(s), I have had 2 of those and never had a single issue unless I was throwing them around. That's why I had to get another pair. They are quite cheap, the mic is great, and IMO they were comfortable once I had them on for a while. For the money they are a great choice IMO. They are ~30€ IIRC

I now have Logitech G633's, and to be honest, the sound quality might be tad worse on these. And the mic is certainly worse, I can't get it into a good position, it apparently makes me sound more "robotic", and I can't seem to get it adjusted so it doesn't pickup every single key-press.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

12 hours ago, TheCMan said:

I have two answers for you.

1. Go with a really nice pair of headphones. Then, either get a desk mic OR the Modmic or some other clip on mic. I do use the Modmic which works great.

--snip-

Coming from someone who's used a modmic I found it to be a pain with two separate wires to run. Not sure if I would suggest it considering you can get something a lot better for the same price.

HyperX Cloud is really the only headset choice worthwhile for under $100. The HyperX Cloud Revolver that was released I simply do not have experience with so cannot comment much on it, but from those I know who have owned the HyperX Cloud or Cloud 2 and then purchased the Revolver, they liked their Cloud/Cloud 2 better in both terms of comfort and audio quality, on top of which $120 is a steep price to ask for getting more into Razer territory of pricing.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

1 hour ago, Cosmopath said:

Get a good pair of headphones, the AntLion ModMic and a headphone/mic to 3.5mm jack adapter like this one. The HyperX Clouds are rebranded Takstar Pro80s with a decent mic slapped onto them: they're pretty good headphones but you can still do better. What's your budget?

Not much. I'd say like $150. 

I'd kind of like a desk mic with a pop filter that has a mount that can reach over a monitor.

3 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Coming from someone who's used a modmic I found it to be a pain with two separate wires to run. Not sure if I would suggest it considering you can get something a lot better for the same price.

I have also had problems. I purchased a couple of modmics. I bought an early version, then the version that had a removable cord (it screwed onto the mic). I bought that second one because the first one the cord kept breaking. I had it replaced. I also had the cord replaced on the second one I bought to. I purchased a third one months after becasue it was on sale. It now has been functioning GREAT!!

It can be annoying with two cords. I dont find it really a problem though. I did mention that a desktop mic would be of better quality.

Modmic I do know is looking into a wireless version of their mic as well.

1 hour ago, christianled59 said:

Not much. I'd say like $150. 

I'd kind of like a desk mic with a pop filter that has a mount that can reach over a monitor.

So, what have you looked at now and are thinking of since we gave our suggestions? I can tell you about my experience and what I think is good.

5 hours ago, TheCMan said:

So, what have you looked at now and are thinking of since we gave our suggestions? I can tell you about my experience and what I think is good.

I'm currently debating from the cloud II or a desk mic with separate headphones. 

The Cloud Cores are basically Cloud 2's without the in-line digitizer which I hear is terrible and with no virtual surround sound (Something enabled from games). The ear cups are slightly on the cheap side in feeling but are very comfy.Would highly recommend these headphones.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

7 hours ago, christianled59 said:

I'm currently debating from the cloud II or a desk mic with separate headphones. 

I guess then the question is, do you want the better quality in terms of sound or just something that's pretty good but more convenient and probably a bit cheaper.

7 hours ago, TheCMan said:

I guess then the question is, do you want the better quality in terms of sound or just something that's pretty good but more convenient and probably a bit cheaper.

I'd prefer comfort above all. I got to try out the cloud II yesterday, and I'll probably be going with that. 

On 7/1/2016 at 1:07 PM, christianled59 said:

I'd prefer comfort above all. I got to try out the cloud II yesterday, and I'll probably be going with that. 

If you haven't bought yet and want comfort above all, check out the NVX XPT100. Sells for $80 and probably the most comfortable headphone you will find in the price range, not to mention being a Brainwavz HM5 clone, it's pretty damn good regardless of the comfort.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2