Spilled on my mechanical keyboard

FreakyNinjaNL

So yesterday i spilled some ice tea on my keyboard, but know the j and n key are a little bit mushier and harder to press and thats a bit annoying.

Does anyone know how i can fix this if it's even possible?

thanks

On most mech keyboard you should be able to remove the keycaps. Just remove the offending keycaps and clean with water or something to that effect.

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

1 minute ago, Speshul_ said:

On most mech keyboard you should be able to remove the keycaps. Just remove the offending keycaps and clean with water or something to that effect.

I did that yesterday already, i got the keycaps off and cleaned everything.

6 minutes ago, FreakyNinjaNL said:

I did that yesterday already, i got the keycaps off and cleaned everything.

Take off the keycaps on the J and N keys and press the switch itself. Is it still mushy? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

q-tip and a mild cleaning solution to get that pesky southern style sweet tea out of the switch, probably in the lil corners on the... peg?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

q-tip and a mild cleaning solution to get that pesky southern style sweet tea out of the switch, probably in the lil corners on the... peg?

Gonna try that right now, ill let you know if it worked.

7 minutes ago, FreakyNinjaNL said:

A bit, it is mushier compared to other keys.

It's possible the ice tea got into those switches I guess :/

If you truly want to fix it you can open up the keyboard or maybe the switch alone to clean it. 

You could also look for a tear down guide (on something like iFixit) of you keyboard to see what you have to do to open it.

This should be done at your own risk though, I am not taking responsibility for what you do. It's something you can consider though, if nothing else works.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

If you truly want to fix it you can open up the keyboard or maybe the switch alone to clean it. 

You could also look for a tear down guide (on something like iFixit) of you keyboard to see what you have to do to open it.

This should be done at your own risk though, I am not taking responsibility for what you do. It's something you can consider though, if nothing else works.

Ok so i cleaned it a bit and it is a bit less mushy right now, let's see how it turns out.

Thanks bro you helped me a lot.

Might i add it may take quite a few tries, only way you'll get the perfect mech feel though is unfortunately just buy a couple new switches, they're not **That** expensive. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

29 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Came here to comment just that as i did on the other post :P you got me though ;)

Personally, I'd just yank out the entire switch and open up the switch itself, wash out the insides then put it back together and pop it back in. 

IMG_0501c.JPG

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS