Moving a game to a different drive

sirbonneville

Hey all, i have skyrim on a 5400 RPM and it takes forever to load / fast travel anywhere. i have enough space on my SSD and i want to move it without breaking my saves or mods. what can i do? 

2 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

Hey all, i have skyrim on a 5400 RPM and it takes forever to load / fast travel anywhere. i have enough space on my SSD and i want to move it without breaking my saves or mods. what can i do? 

I seem to remember you should do a backup of the game, and then restore it onto the other drive, but I can't remember fully.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

You should be able to reinstall the game on the SSD. Are the mods supported by the game? You might have some trouble if not.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I seem to remember you should do a backup of the game, and then restore it onto the other drive, but I can't remember fully.

erm..

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

You should be able to reinstall the game on the SSD. Are the mods supported by the game? You might have some trouble if not.

i want to move it, not reinstall it. 

3 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

Yeah, most games won't work anymore if you do that. You'd have to reinstall it, and just copy over files from the save folder(s).

It can be tricky since some games have save files scattered around the file system.

What game is it?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Yeah, most games won't work anymore if you do that. You'd have to reinstall it, and just copy over files from the save folder(s).

It can be tricky since some games have save files scattered around the file system.

What game is it?

Dude... he said skyrim

READ PEOPLE

I'm assuming you already have a steam folder on the other drive yeah? okay so what you're gonna do, is you're gonna cut the game files from one folder to the other, then in steam you're gonna uninstall the game.  After that finishes, choose to install the game, then pick the location where you just dropped the game folder.  Steam will detect that its already installed.  Cheers!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

What game is it?

skyrim haha its in the original post 

1 minute ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

I'm assuming you already have a steam folder on the other drive yeah? okay so what you're gonna do, is you're gonna cut the game files from one folder to the other, then in steam you're gonna uninstall the game.  After that finishes, choose to install the game, then pick the location where you just dropped the game folder.  Steam will detect that its already installed.  Cheers!

you're 100% sure it will work and not break anything? 

1 minute ago, sirbonneville said:

you're 100% sure it will work and not break anything? 

Has worked for me for several games in the past, no issues.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

1 minute ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

okay, im boutta do it... wish me luck 

9 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

ok... it says i need 25 gb of space and i only have 12 to spare. however i have no games, and only windows and a few small programs installed on my 120gb SSD. what's taking up so much !? 

ok... it says i need 25 gb of space and i only have 12 to spare. however i have no games, and only windows and a few small programs installed on my 120gb SSD. what's taking up so much !? 

Try running CCleaner

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit