Second (Not Junky) AM4 Motherboard Spotted

awesomeness10120

We have a juicy new leak for you related to AMD’s upcoming AM4 motherboards. Our sources have provided us the first pictures of a high-end AM4 motherboard from ASUS which is part of the ROG series. Known as the ROG Crosshair VI Impact, the motherboard will feature the next generation AM4 socket to allow support for Summit Ridge and Bristol Ridge processors which are arriving this year. 

The ASUS ROG Crosshair VI series will bring modern features to AMD’s next-gen processors. The last Crosshair V series was released back in 2011 with the Bulldozer family and has since seen a few revisions. The latest line up will debut with the latest APU and CPU families that are expected to arrive this year. The Bristol Ridge family of APUs will be arriving in 2H 2016 followed by launch of Summit Ridge FX-Series chips in Q4 2016 which will have Zen architecture as their core DNA.

The ASUS ROG Crosshair VI series will bring modern features to AMD’s next-gen processors. The last Crosshair V series was released back in 2011 with the Bulldozer family and has since seen a few revisions. The latest line up will debut with the latest APU and CPU families that are expected to arrive this year. The Bristol Ridge family of APUs will be arriving in 2H 2016 followed by launch of Summit Ridge FX-Series chips in Q4 2016 which will have Zen architecture as their core DNA.

Looking at the motherboard, the first thing we notice is that the ROG Crosshair VI Impact has a similar design as its Z170 chipset based Maximus VII Impact counterpart. The motherboard has a Mini-ITX design which is a first for AMD processors. The motherboard features the AM4 socket which is very similar to current AM3+ sockets. It is colored black and features pin-holes to support Summit Ridge and Bristol Ridge processors. The socket also has a retention bracket similar to AM3+ so it’s possible that AM3+ coolers will be compatible on this board.

The first thing that pops out to me is the massive cooler mounts. Jeez. Other than that, this looks to be an exciting time for AM4. :P

Source: http://wccftech.com/asus-crosshair-vi-impact-am4-motherboard-leak/

Crosshair-VI-Impact-AM4-Motherboard-1-635x365.png

Interesting placement for the power ports

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

That thing is fucking huge. 

You didn't post a source. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Ugh the SATA port placement 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Sees no source? Isn't official news?

Looks up wccftech... Sure enough, article is from wccftech!

Lol I thought that was funny that I knew it was from wccftech. :D 

Anyhow, seems interesting. Not much that's super interesting but still cool.

EDIT: It almost looks like someone just photoshopped viii impact... Almost, except you can see that the socket uses pins and that there is no chipset (the small rog logo is too small to be a heatsink so it's probably just decoration/a logo. Seems legit to me.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Ugh the SATA port placement 

Mini-ITX so you shouldn't be surprised really as it's either that or have the power connectors like the 8 pin in the middle of the motherboard :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

The first thing that pops out to me is the massive cooler mounts. Jeez. Other than that, this looks to be an exciting time for AM4. :P

They aren't that big, consider that you're used to lga sockets that have a bracket around them that makes them seem larger. They seem to be in line with lga 2011.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Maximus-VIII-Impact_2D-Front.jpg

Just for comparison and I have to agree, the cooler mounts are massive compared to Intel.

2 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

Junky pic and...

iirc AM4 is supposed to not have SB, so explain me what's that ROG thing behind-under the (I guess) audio "card" shroud

Considering how small it is especially compared to that on the z170 Maximus viii impact my guess is it is just decoration/a logo. Doesn't seem big enough to be a chipset to me.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

Junky pic and...

iirc AM4 is supposed to not have SB, so explain me what's that ROG thing behind-under the (I guess) audio "card" shroud

Could be just a heatsink for USB controllers or to make it look pretty.

I want an AM4 Impact so much. Would love to try out a ZEN ITX build. Not a big fan of the huge plastic mount. I thought AMD moved past that.

Looks pretty sweet. Would have loved for the M.2 connector to be visible, now that the AM4 boards don't need north or south bridges.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

As the hottest parts on the MB (NB and SB) I can't think of any kind of controller widely used that would need one.

Unless of course people are into pointless heatsinks, then ok xD

The only chip I can think of that would need a heatsink is a PLX chip, which isn't likely to be on the board 

19 minutes ago, Matu20 said:
  Hide contents

Just for comparison and I have to agree, the cooler mounts are massive compared to Intel.

Keep in minde the X99 socket is bigger. And Asrock even used the slim socket. 

x99 itx.jpg

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

29 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

As the hottest parts on the MB (NB and SB) I can't think of any kind of controller widely used that would need one.

Unless of course people are into pointless heatsinks, then ok xD

It's probably just a decoration :D. I mean, the board probably would look kinda ugly if there wasn't something with an Asus ROG logo on it... And metal just makes it look even better! :P 

I mean, it does seem pretty legit... The socket seems correct and everything else does too after all...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The motherboard has a Mini-ITX design which is a first for AMD processors.

This is true of AM sockets, but there have been ITX and Mini-ITX FM socket boards. Which is the closer relative than the earlier AM series.

The fact that they stuck with that awful mounting mechanism is so annoying.

Just use a 2011 style integrated backplate. Hell, even use the same mounts as 2011 if intel let you. It'd be perfect.

5 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

The fact that they stuck with that awful mounting mechanism is so annoying.

Just use a 2011 style integrated backplate. Hell, even use the same mounts as 2011 if intel let you. It'd be perfect.

The interesting part is that the mounting holes are not standard. For example, the HP AMD motherboards have Intel mounting systems. Let's hope they don't think this is a good mounting system 

Congratulations on biting the bait everyone.

3 minutes ago, Tsaravall said:

Congratulations on biting the bait everyone.

Welcome to the forum.

The juvenile dreamer in me thought no SB means itx with 4 DIMMs, but even back in reality that mounting bracket needs a 2016 upgrade, will be disappointed if it's actually this.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

8 minutes ago, Elehat said:

The juvenile dreamer in me thought no SB means itx with 4 DIMMs, but even back in reality that mounting bracket needs a 2016 upgrade, will be disappointed if it's actually this.

In order to have four DIMMS you would need and extremely small socket or mounting holes.