Building a computer for my dad. Thoughts?

I recently upgraded my GPU from two EVGA 2gb 770's Superclocked to one FE 1070. I now have two spare cards and two 4gb sticks of ram sitting around. My dad has had some experience with PC gaming and I'm looking to put together a decent mid-range computer for him. 

Here's two builds I've put together for him. One being a bare-bones, short term build, and the other being one with a larger upgrade path and the ability to SLI the 770's. Storage is also already taken care of and I plan on overclocking the processor.

Basic Build

Upgrade Path Build

Please share your thoughts! I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible as he doesn't want to go all in on this just yet.

a pentium would bottleneck two 770s, it would bottleneck a single 970 and im sure 770 sli is probably around 980 performance, can he not get something like an i5 4440?

1 minute ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

a pentium would bottleneck two 770s, it would bottleneck a single 970 and im sure 770 sli is probably around 980 performance, can he not get something like an i5 4440?

Well, he wants to OC the CPU, so I think what he needs is a K CPU

Would you consider getting an i3-6100 at the very least? It's Skylake and performs surprisingly well for a dual core due to hyperthreading. If you can afford a bit more maybe consider a Haswell quad-core or something, but I think getting Skylake would open up a lot of upgrade paths.

1 minute ago, Narigaur said:

Well, he wants to OC the CPU, so I think what he needs is a K CPU

hmm, well id suggest a 4690k then, if you can get one for cheap, because a pentium ocd or not will not keep up with two 770s, one maybe, but two, no chance fella.

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Would you consider getting an i3-6100 at the very least? It's Skylake and performs surprisingly well for a dual core due to hyperthreading. If you can afford a bit more maybe consider a Haswell quad-core or something, but I think getting Skylake would open up a lot of upgrade paths.

would still bottleneck 770 sli but yeah, future proof, and ddr3 and 4 support.

If the budget is the issue , go for i3 6100 ,since it makes upgrade path WAAAY better then the g3258. But consider what you plan to upgrade it with later on ,since for better cpu-s ,you need better mobo.

1 minute ago, Rakh84 said:

If the budget is the issue , go for i3 6100 ,since it makes upgrade path WAAAY better then the g3258. But consider what you plan to upgrade it with later on ,since for better cpu-s ,you need better mobo.

If he gets the 6100 it's already skylake so assuming he doesn't need new features like overclocking the socket will work with any newer LGA 1151 CPUs

I've taken things into consideration and have come up with this build.
Thoughts?

Haven't used MSI mobos that much ,so not sure what they are like ,but atm i'm using Z170-a from Asus (just bought it ) and its AMAZING . Rest looks good :)

1 minute ago, Rakh84 said:

Haven't used MSI mobos that much ,so not sure what they are like ,but atm i'm using Z170-a from Asus (just bought it ) and its AMAZING . Rest looks good :)

Sounds good. I'll shoot them over to him and see what he says about it.