Can I use rum to clean CPU and plate?

TheMidnightNarwhal

So I didn't have isopropyl alchool when I cleaned off my CPU so it ain't nicely cleaned off. I don't have isopropyl alcohol but I do have some rum. Can that work or will it be worst because I know it doesn't just contain alcohol and water so.

3 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

So I didn't have isopropyl alchool when I cleaned off my CPU so it ain't nicely cleaned off. I don't have isopropyl alcohol but I do have some rum. Can that work or will it be worst because I know it doesn't just contain alcohol and water so.

Just use a damp cloth

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Just use a lightly wet rag and scrub a bit.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 minute ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Just use a damp cloth

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Just use a lightly whetted rag and scrub a bit.

But won't there still be contaminants? Like, just water won't remove oil or any other stuff right?

1 minute ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

But won't there still be contaminants? Like, just water won't remove oil or any other stuff right?

Not enough to cause cooling issues.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

OMFG please no! Seriously that will so destroy your hardware. If you want to clean your hardware use this.

2 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Not really. just wipe it off with your shirt if it's a bit wet afterwards.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Not enough to cause cooling issues.

Agree. You need a pretty decent amount of contamination to ruin a CPU's thermals.

1 minute ago, norritt said:

OMFG please no! Seriously that will so destroy your hardware. If you want to clean your hardware use this.

You're kidding right?

i wouldent use rum tbh, i have used industry grade gassoline the last few times i have cleaned a CPU and that was pretty good but just hit up a store and get yourself some 95+% alcohol and you should be good, contact cleaner should also be fine if you have any of that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, norritt said:

Why? In what way? 

3 minutes ago, norritt said:

lol no, anyway that stuff isnt too bad but not what i would use, i have a can of a similar thing somewhere and its pretty good but not worth it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Why? In what way? 

Please don't take advice from this moron. A damp rag is FINE.

Guys rum contains water and a buttload of *sugar* he could go all the way and clean the cpu with lemonade. If you clean your stuff you want sth. that doesn't have the potential to leave residue. So unless you don't want to cook caramel I'd suggest not to use rum.

Please don't take advice from this moron. A damp rag is FINE.

But I think he was talking about using rum... which still, I don't see how it would destroy hardware.

2 minutes ago, norritt said:

Guys rum contains water and a buttload of *sugar* he could go all the way and clean the cpu with lemonade. If you clean your stuff you want sth. that doesn't have the potential to leave residue. So unless you don't want to cook caramel I'd suggest not to use rum.

Why would you post a useless Ebay link? He's not going to buy that and wait weeks. While he can just go to the store and buy alcohol if he's so worried.

3 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

But I think he was talking about using rum... which still, I don't see how it would destroy hardware.

It wont. But it's not particularly safe. 

4 minutes ago, norritt said:

It doesn't containt a buttload of sugar. 1.9g per 100ml, got the facts right from the company itself. But still, that was what I was worried about.

2 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

But I think he was talking about using rum... which still, I don't how it would destroy hardware.

If you only need to clean the heat spreader, I'd still prefer water over rum. Use a wet cleaning cloth (and go easy with the water don't soak it) also be careful to not get any fluid onto the pins. If you clean anything except the heat spreader (board, socket etc.) use the stuff I linked above. You really don't wanna sugarcoat your hardware.