Valve being sued over CS:GO Gambling.

Original Article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/23/12020154/counter-strike-csgo-illegal-gambling-lawsuit-weapon-skins-valve

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Connecticut resident Michael John McLeod alleges that Valve and third-party sites (CSGO Diamonds, CSGO Lounge and OPSkins) "knowingly allowed, supported, and/or sponsored illegal gambling by allowing millions of Americans to link their individual Steam accounts to third- party websites." Through those websites, the suit says, skins for CS:GO, which can be purchased from Valve, "can ... easily be traded and used as collateral for bets."

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. CSGO Diamonds, and CSGO Lounge have both had their fair share of scandles. CSGO Diamond's was rather recent too, then the infamous iBuyPower match throw of early 2015, which can largely be blamed on loung? If you don't know what any of the sites are CSGODiamonds is a dice role site where skins are gambled, and CSGO Lounge is a site where you bet skins on teams. OP skins is a market site where you can buy the items for much cheaper then they are on the steam market, and don't have the 7 day trade ban. My only question is why OP skins? It's a market place, like the rest. I don't understand why they don't sue the other sites like it as well. That makes me think the guy is just going after the money, since OPskins is by far the largest site of the type. Don't think this case will go far. Want it to, but probably won't. Worst part about these sites is they sponsor streamers who have younger audiences (Wild/ Lotto + Crew). Pretty much knowing about it. That's just scummy imo.

TL;DR I'm glad Valve's being sued, they're profiting way to much by this just sitting back knowing under age kids are betting, kinda sad lounge is because I've made (and lost) lots of money on there.  I feel like this will be a huge step forward for getting rid of online gambling.

This video is obligatory. 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

" I feel like this will be a huge step forward for getting rid of online gambling. " Hardly humans like to gamble and there are lot of them who frequent the internet, hence online gambling shall remain a thing and frankly I see no issue with it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I dont understand. It's not like valve is forcing them to gamble. I never gamble myself. As for underage kids they need to have parent supervising them, not valve. And if they are 16-17 they are old enogh to think about consequences that come with gambling. 

As for sites themselves i agree that gambling should be shut down. But things like betting on which team will win is totally ok with me

8 minutes ago, kmanchine said:

I dont understand. It's not like valve is forcing them to gamble. I never gamble myself. As for underage kids they need to have parent supervising them, not valve. And if they are 16-17 they are old enogh to think about consequences that come with gambling. 

As for sites themselves i agree that gambling should be shut down. But things like betting on which team will win is totally ok with me

no, but it does give kids an easy way to gamble :)

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

no, but it does give kids an easy way to gamble :)

If you are talking about easy. Here all the kid needs to do is cross the road and eneter any sports bookmakers if thats how its called and place the bet.

So If understand this correctly many site gamble illegally ???

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1. Online gambling isn't going away any time soon.

2. This will probably fall through, many of those gambling sites also highlight other main features, few are just purely gambling related. valve never really pushed gambling hard, they only did nothing to stop it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You don't have to goto skin betting sites to find gambling in CS:GO. Their whole system of buying keys to unlock crates to get skins is one big form of gambling in itself.  It's no different than playing the lottery or scratch and win tickets.

Gambling is legal in lots of places, the only thing that will come from this is tighter age verification checks on Steam accounts. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Lol my friend needs help, he's spent 1000$ or more on CSGO and gambling skins

23 minutes ago, reapersivan said:

Lol my friend needs help, he's spent 1000$ or more on CSGO and gambling skins

that is just plain stupid lol in my opinion

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

They probably need to get sued about VAC ... not gambling ... at least for CS:GO .. 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

"Let's sue the banks because they print the money that is used in gambling". It's the same with valve: "Let's sue valve because the make the skins that are used in gambling"

Is this...for real? Why is VALVE getting sued for this? Valve is not responsible for what people do with their own inventory, just like the people that print money are not responsible for gambling your money away.

Edit: To put it blunty, this is retarded. To put it eloquently, this is sheer idiocy

Remember to quote if you want us to see your answer ASAP!

This gambling problem was created from Valve's own market/trading platform. I'm interested to see how this issue could be resolved. It's technically the first of its kind.

As long as trading exists, there will always be a black market, and gambling to go along with it. 

It's not Valve's fault people are abusing their market. 

I dropped out of the market when the M4A4 howl got contrabanned and "bankrupted" my steam wallet.

I think that the cs go skins are getting out of hand, and something needs to change to regulate the market. 

Spoiler

Seems like a rather large stretch. He's essentially blaming the currency, or the maker of the currency, for the gambling. The same reasoning would allow you to sue the US Treasury because people can use cash as collateral in gambling.

It's like not Valve is running those gambling site... They only provide the tradable micro transaction (skins), the rest is up to the players. Considering these sites mostly operate using bots that you send your items to and they in turn redistribute them, the only way to stop it would be to stop any form of interaction between players. Which is bad for everybody. Sure they could "crack down" on the bots and ban them, but more will show up all the time, this is just fighting an uphill battle, you can't win it unless you take away the thing that enable them. (trading)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

but valve doesnt run those sites they just allow trading so shouldn't you sue the sites if you really want to stop csgo gambling and not just out for a cash grab. unless you want valve to stop people from trading or buying things from the market place

@niofalpha You know the video is a joke right ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

7 hours ago, pk-man said:

You don't have to goto skin betting sites to find gambling in CS:GO. Their whole system of buying keys to unlock crates to get skins is one big form of gambling in itself.  It's no different than playing the lottery or scratch and win tickets.

Valve could argue that it is not gambling because you cant lose. You will always get skin ... the value of the skin is a different story however. But yea, I understand what you mean.

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Why?  VAC simply scans your system for altered game files and known hacks.  If it finds one it will give you a VAC ban.

Thats the issue . Iv been running into cheats / hacks almost every third game , and im MGE . 

VAC is outdated , and frankly Valve doesnt give a fudge .. 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Note that in Connecticut, the plaintiff was breaking state law by gambling online anyway. This is basically a "lol I did something I shouldn't have and I don't want to deal with the consequences".

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

6 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Thats the issue . Iv been running into cheats / hacks almost every third game , and im MGE . 

No, people are actually just that good that they always get 40 kills in competitive.  Apparently the prime account phone thing is supposed to help, but I don't know if it is/will.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No, people are actually just that good that they always get 40 kills in competitive.  Apparently the prime account phone thing is supposed to help, but I don't know if it is/will.

From my experience number of people hacking in prime is reduced, but I think it will help in the long run ( at least I hope so )

9 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Watch the demo and decide if he is hacking sometimes they can just be having a good game or extremely lucky. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

24 minutes ago, cesrai said:

From my experience number of people hacking in prime is reduced, but I think it will help in the long run ( at least I hope so )

Watch the demo and decide if he is hacking sometimes they can just be having a good game or extremely lucky. 

I do watch demos , when im suspecting someones not legit , but more times its just blatant cheating ... I think jackfrags posted a video on YT not long ago , showcasing a game where a guy on the enemy team modified the files , so that his name is blurred , wh aimbot and all that good stuff .. 

Not saying everyone i come across suspicious is cheating , i get hackusations alot , just that the "hack-o-meter" is slowly raising over the past couple of months .. 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W