I dual booted my PC with Ubuntu 16.04 running alongside windows but grub boot loader only gives me the option to start Ubuntu.

Hello!

I recently decided to dual boot my PC with windows 10 and Ubuntu (windows 10 was the original operating system) but after I finished the process and rebooted the PC grub boot loader only gives me the option to start Ubuntu.

In case I dual booted incorrectly here are the steps took.

1: created a partition

2: made a bootable USB with ubuntu 16.04 installed

3: Booted from the USB and used Ubuntu's "install alongside windows" option

But now when ever Grub boot loader shows up the only options I'm given are Ubuntu, advanced options for ubuntu and system setup.

I'll appreciate any help I can get, I have no idea how to work linux so I'm completely lost on this one.

Are you sure you didn't install over windows? xD

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

19 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Hello!

I recently decided to dual boot my PC with windows 10 and Ubuntu (windows 10 was the original operating system) but after I finished the process and rebooted the PC grub boot loader only gives me the option to start Ubuntu.

In case I dual booted incorrectly here are the steps took.

1: created a partition

2: made a bootable USB with ubuntu 16.04 installed

3: Booted from the USB and used Ubuntu's "install alongside windows" option

But now when ever Grub boot loader shows up the only options I'm given are Ubuntu, advanced options for ubuntu and system setup.

I'll appreciate any help I can get, I have no idea how to work linux so I'm completely lost on this one.

It sounds like you may have installed it over the windows partition...hope there wasn't anything important on there :(

12 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

It sounds like you may have installed it over the windows partition...hope there wasn't anything important on there :(

I'm certain I didn't because my windows folder is still untouched in the file viewer.

18 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

Are you sure you didn't install over windows? xD

I can still navigate to the windows folder in the file viewer, everything looks untouched so I doubt I formatted the wrong partition.

Go to your BIOS and see if you can set the Windows Boot Loader to the primary boot device. What are your settings? are you using GPT or MBR? Are you using BIOS or UEFI?