WD Blue failing soon?

Geralt

Just ran a HD Tune benchmark on a 320GB WD Blue I got from a friend and it seems like there's a sudden drop in read speeds at 4 places. Could the drive be failing? This is currently used in my server and has chalked up 329 days of runtime.

_e833c12c38395f5b7c310f05030ab0bd-png.jp

Any help is appreciated! :)

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Download CrystalDiskInfo and post the results here please so that I can take a look at them.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

3 minutes ago, failblox said:

Download CrystalDiskInfo and post the results here please so that I can take a look at them.

08a54769681c6e40cddd9af055bc1ac8.png

Here we go

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

A couple values seems a bit screwy to me, but it should still work for a while (I'm running drives in worse shape so yeah).

I SUMMON @Captain_WD!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

8 minutes ago, Geralt said:

08a54769681c6e40cddd9af055bc1ac8.png

Here we go

Thanks! Looking at the data, your drive seems to be fine for the time being because the raw values for reallocated sectors count and current pending sector count are both 0.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

That might be data fragmentation- to do the test write, it had to move around a few times likely. (Also why copying a ton of small files on a mechanical hard drive is much slower than a couple large files ). Towords the end of the write, the access times approached 30ms, and for a busy hard drive that's just fine. What I'm more concerned about is the slow drop to 20MB/s

edit- that's read. Those gaps shouldn't be happening.Hmm 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

A couple values seems a bit screwy to me, but it should still work for a while (I'm running drives in worse shape so yeah).

I SUMMON @Captain_WD!

14 minutes ago, failblox said:

Thanks! Looking at the data, your drive seems to be fine for the time being because the raw values for reallocated sectors count and current pending sector count are both 0.

One thing to note is HD Sentinel states that " Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 585 times. " So I dunno if that has to do with the graph.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

~snip~

Hello :)

This does look like the drive may have some problems. I would check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. 

The raw values don't show anything abnormal so I wouldn't think the spikes are coming from the HDD itself. 

I would try another SATA cable and another SATA port and re-run the tests and see what are they going to show you. 

Thanks @revsilverspine for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

12 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

This does look like the drive may have some problems. I would check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status as well as run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. 

The raw values don't show anything abnormal so I wouldn't think the spikes are coming from the HDD itself. 

I would try another SATA cable and another SATA port and re-run the tests and see what are they going to show you. 

Thanks @revsilverspine for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

Ran both the quick and extended and they passed the test. Also swapped out the cable and even put the hard drive in another system to run the test and they produced the same drops. I did notice that the drive tends to heat up more than usual during normal usage tho. At first I thought it was the SFF of my server but after putting it in open air, it still runs in the 40C range.

Should I run out and get a new drive? This drive definitely has seen better days with almost 8000 hours under it's belt

~~~SnapDragon~~~

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

~snip~

This may be cause by the drive's age or a simple malfunctioning but I'd consider swapping it or at least having backups of the data on it. 
Since the drive passes both tests it should still be safe to use and the S.M.A.R.T. doesn't indicate any issues.
I'd check the drive with other benchmark tools and see if the results are similar.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

3 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

This may be cause by the drive's age or a simple malfunctioning but I'd consider swapping it or at least having backups of the data on it. 
Since the drive passes both tests it should still be safe to use and the S.M.A.R.T. doesn't indicate any issues.
I'd check the drive with other benchmark tools and see if the results are similar.

Captain_WD.

Alrighty then. I got a failover server which mirrors my current server so I have a back up even if this hard drive dies.

So which hard drive should I go for next? A red drive?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

Absolutely go with a red!! I've been using reds in my gaming rig as a shared pool and they're extremely reliable!! You shouldn't have issues with them at all! The best bit is the addition of the TLER function, which stops the disk from dropping out of the array when it encounters a read/write error or bad sector! And if I recall, they can also alter their platter speeds to conserve power when the disk isn't being heavily used... You'll have to check WD's datasheets before quoting me on that bit, but I recall reading something like that on the marketing w4^k pages...

Some Randomer from the internet!

6 minutes ago, d3anio97 said:

Absolutely go with a red!! I've been using reds in my gaming rig as a shared pool and they're extremely reliable!! You shouldn't have issues with them at all! The best bit is the addition of the TLER function, which stops the disk from dropping out of the array when it encounters a read/write error or bad sector! And if I recall, they can also alter their platter speeds to conserve power when the disk isn't being heavily used... You'll have to check WD's datasheets before quoting me on that bit, but I recall reading something like that on the marketing w4^k pages...

EDIT: The power saving function is called IntelliPower... and I was mostly right... WD's power saving disks (WD Green, WD Red, WD Enterprise capacity and WD Purple) use caching algorithms as well as altering the rotational speed (On IntelliPower ready disks, it's up to 5400RPM nominal) to conserve power and maintain their performance... 

Here's WD's KB answer about it: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=3665

Some Randomer from the internet!

Juy buy WD RED, it is rock solid until now. I already bought 3 x 6TB drives.

Just remember to use WDIDLE3 tool and set the sleep timer to 300 seconds (5 mins) to prevent very high load cycle count. I have 2 4TB RED that nearly fails because of this.

20 hours ago, dlink377 said:

Juy buy WD RED, it is rock solid until now. I already bought 3 x 6TB drives.

Just remember to use WDIDLE3 tool and set the sleep timer to 300 seconds (5 mins) to prevent very high load cycle count. I have 2 4TB RED that nearly fails because of this.

I wonder if that's why I've had such a bad experience with reds? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 23.06.2016 г. at 5:35 PM, Geralt said:

~snip~

WD Red is indeed a good option for a server regardless if you use it in a RAID array or not. It does feature shorter times between spindowns but as the guys mentioned you can alter that with WDIDLE3. That shouldn't be causing problems as WD Red is designed to work like this and save power while delivering good performance and reliability in server builds. 

Another good option would be WD Black as it is designed for durability and heavier and more extensive workloads. It comes with a longer (5-year) warranty and should also serve well in your build. :) It's up to you to pick one. 

Feel free to ask if there are any questions regarding any of these two drives.

Captain_WD.