FreeNAS Box

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
3 minutes ago, DLM_012 said:

HP has nothing beyond what appears to amount to plugins and useless software. What about Nas4Free? It appears to have lower overhead than FreeNAS

from a quick look around their info its just a very plain simple NAS box that ships with windows server.

if you end up buying it, dont bother trying to put a different OS on it. it wont make it a better device.

While browsing my local craigslist I came across the following:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/5546805949.html

The owner offered to let go of it for $150. I have a few questions:

• is this a good price?
  • would this run FreeNAS ok?
  • how can I configure this machine since it does't have a display output?
  • do any of you forsee any potential issues with this box?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

freenas has pretty ridiculous hardware requirements, so i doubt that'll go smoothly.

that said, HP should have plenty of information about this box on their website.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

freenas has pretty ridiculous hardware requirements, so i doubt that'll go smoothly.

that said, HP should have plenty of information about this box on their website.

HP has nothing beyond what appears to amount to plugins and useless software. What about Nas4Free? It appears to have lower overhead than FreeNAS

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

3 minutes ago, DLM_012 said:

from a quick look around their info its just a very plain simple NAS box that ships with windows server.

if you end up buying it, dont bother trying to put a different OS on it. it wont make it a better device.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Hmm ok thanks!