[Resolved] What is "LAN Option ROM"?

I am using a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard and I cannot get the Ethernet to work. I've installed the correct drivers and Windows (8.1) still tells me that the ethernet isn't connected. The cord and router are fine. But I went into my bios and saw that Onboard Lan Controller is enabled, but I am not sure what LAN Option ROM is. If you can, please explain to me what that means and if it can help my situation at all. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Rektum said:

I am using a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard and I cannot get the Ethernet to work. I've installed the correct drivers and Windows (8.1) still tells me that the ethernet isn't connected. The cord and router are fine. But I went into my bios and saw that Onboard Lan Controller is enabled, but I am not sure what LAN Option ROM is. If you can, please explain to me what that means and if it can help my situation at all. Thanks!

I just searched it up, and my original statement yields true

The LAN option ROM is a ROM that is invoked by the bootloader to provide for, among other things, an int13h translation if drives are to be remotely mounted (though iSCSI or some other network protocol), etc. 

It has nothing to do with operation of a network interface under a non-DOS operating system (ie: one that does not rely upon int13h) such as MS-Windows or Linux.

Sounds like either the connector is messed up, *or* the actual interface is fried.  

• 4 months later...
On 6/19/2016 at 0:24 AM, Rektum said:

I have the same issue with the same motherboard ... How did u end up fixing it?

other than booting from LAN it actually means to boot the LAN chip. Some NICs include some sort of console you can run commands and it also lets you wake the PC up from shutdown rather than just sleep. My 10Gb/s NICs were datacenter NICs and LAN option ROM adds a screen during boot which boots the ROM on the NIC allowing me to interrupt boot, run commands and do things. Most NICs only allow booting from LAN and remote booting rather than configuring or running commands.

• 6 years later...