Phil Spencer: We could have released Xbox codename Scorpio, but we want to make it better.

AlTech

To quote our dear friend Phil Spencer, the head of the Xbox division,

We could have done a new update this year. We actually looked at it. We went all the way to, we had the spec in front of us, should we ship something that's less than Scorpio this year, but in truth you can't do a true 4K console this year. And I just didn't think anything between what is effectively a 1080p console and the 4K console, like, from a consumer television standpoint there's nothing in the middle. So let's go focus on 4K and next year was the right year to do that.

You heard it hear first folks, the more powerful Xbox One has been delayed...

This is kinda funny, Microsoft delaying things for once. Let's just hope this pays off and translate to a good product.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-considered-launching-upgraded-xbox-one-year

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I only heard it would come out 2017 so that's my expectation. 

I wonder what are the facts behind "you can't do a true 4K console this year" 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Looks like a white PS4. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

I don't think it's accurate to call this a delay in the sense of tech news. They internally mulled over releasing it sooner and decided not to. Chances are by waiting they gain access to the much improved GPU power. When they first announced this Xbox One S it already had the end of 2017 date attached to it.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

8 minutes ago, Thony said:

It makes sense to me, hardware is not there yet. A true 4K/60 PC can't be done yet unless you opt for a multi GPU setup. Consoles will likely target 4K/30 but it's still a tall order, especially when consoles have to fit certain form factor and pricing expectations. The form factor dictates power and cooling limitations, to fit a 4K/30 capable machine within the expected form factor, they have to wait. I'm assuming they are picking AMD to build it for them, they have to wait for next AMD's architecture to pull it off.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

27 minutes ago, Thony said:

cost to 4k playability is too high. You cant reasonably expect people to pay $700 + for the GPU alone.

3 minutes ago, Linusinium said:

It makes sense to me, hardware is not there yet. A true 4K/60 PC can't be done yet unless you opt for a multi GPU setup. Consoles will likely target 4K/30 but it's still a tall order, especially when consoles have to fit certain form factor and pricing expectations. The form factor dictates power and cooling limitations, to fit a 4K/30 capable machine within the expected form factor, they have to wait. I'm assuming they are picking AMD to build it for them, they have to wait for next AMD's architecture to pull it off.

Well, the hardware actually is there. But it would make the console insanely expensive

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

cost to 4k playability is too high. You cant reasonably expect people to pay $700 + for the GPU alone.

Exactly my thoughts.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

What are the chances of anyone who doesn't have the budget to build a PC capable of 4k, suddenly have the need for a 4k monitor? Seriously? If you have a 4k monitor, why would you be considering a console as the gaming device of your choice? 

WTF is going on?

I wish console makers would stop chasing this 4k flamingo and focus on the bread and butter of gaming and has been for a while, 1080p60 with all the eye candy. They'd make a lot of sales with that. The new AMD GPU is capable of that, plus your game files wouldn't have the need for terabytes of storage for like 10 games. Why the sudden jump from 1080 to 4k? Are they forgetting Quad HD, which practically is the highest resolution you want to go? I had a friend over who's never seen a gaming PC in his whole life, and when he saw GTA running at 2560x1440 at 60fps it was like he was a colourblind person seeing a rainbow for the first time, he's now asking for my help in building his very own PC. That eye-opening experience could be had at 1080p60 with eye candy, not at gimped 4k30 with blocky ass textures and stuttering...

2 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

What are the chances of anyone who doesn't have the budget to build a PC capable of 4k, suddenly have the need for a 4k monitor? Seriously? If you have a 4k monitor, why would you be considering a console as the gaming device of your choice? 

WTF is going on?

A significant number of 4K TVs have been sold. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's happening.

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is kinda funny, Microsoft delaying things for once. Let's just hope this pays off and translate to a good product.

That quote has just the right balance of obvious facts and unverifiable claims to make me think it's just more corporate PR nonsense-talk. We have no way of knowing when they could have released it or if they ever seriously considered a 2016 release. I don't think they ever announced it for 2016 in the first place.

I know it doesn't matter, and I'm not accusing Microsoft of doing anything malicious or evil (this time). But I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily take this as official word that it's a true "delay." It reads more like he's casually bragging, and maybe offhandedly trying to generate a bit of consumer faith in the product.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

A significant number of 4K TVs have been sold. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's happening.

And I do wonder what those people thought when they realised no channels broadcast in 4k, and you'd need godmode internet to even stream the stuff. What a waste, we could've had amazing 1440p TV screens at 1080p prices by now if we didn't skip a step in mass adoption.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

That quote has just the right balance of obvious facts and unverifiable claims to make me think it's just more corporate PR nonsense-talk. We have no way of knowing when they could have released it or if they ever seriously considered a 2016 release. I don't think they ever announced it for 2016 in the first place.

I know it doesn't matter, and I'm not accusing Microsoft of doing anything malicious or evil (this time). But I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily take this as official word that it's a true "delay." It reads more like he's casually bragging, and maybe offhandedly trying to generate a bit of consumer faith in the product.

Because we like to get our hand on................Product? (I love this word cos it has so many meanings lol).

+1 if you can figure out what I was insinuating.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's fairly obvious that he's saying they could have released a more powerful console today but it wouldn't have been the 6 tflops that's promised for 2017. The hardware isn't ready yet. So they waited to ensure 4K capability of some form (4K@30hz or 1080p@60hz I guess). And I commend them for that. Rushing it out would have been like doing another Xbox One: underpowered. 

2 hours ago, Thony said:

Console is based on AMD APUs.

For 4K at an affordable cost/reasonable performance you need 14nm parts.

Zen and Zen based 14nm APUs are expected for 2017. -> Scorpio 2017

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Linusinium said:

Yep it's the price: they could sell a tiny console with a soldered 1080 on it and be mostly ok at 4k 30fps but I don't think they could sell that for any less than 800 to 1k usd. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

1080 can run 69 fpa but when Scorpio comes out there is no way it will run 60fps for a reasonable price. 

I only expect it to do 30 FPS purely because if they price it for more than $600 then people gonna go ape shit. Or I'm just wrong and it sells like hot cakes.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, Thony said:

Q4 2017...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Q4 2017...

I listened to Paul and Kyle and it doesn't say when exactly. It just says 2017.

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

I listened to Paul and Kyle and it doesn't say when exactly. It just says 2017.

I'm fairly certain Microsoft specifically stated holiday 2017 which should be before Christmas. That's a definite Q4. Obviously it's subject to change but barring that, it's Q4.

basically waiting for AMD's Zen APU

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-considered-launching-upgraded-xbox-one-year

Huh? You're wrong. Scorpio is not getting delayed. They just decided internally before release and before announcement that the "draft" for scorpio was insufficient. The specs and announcements we heard are for the final Scorpio, the one that will be released in 2017, which is not delayed.

4 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

WTF is going on?

I wish console makers would stop chasing this 4k flamingo and focus on the bread and butter of gaming and has been for a while, 1080p60 with all the eye candy. They'd make a lot of sales with that. The new AMD GPU is capable of that, plus your game files wouldn't have the need for terabytes of storage for like 10 games. Why the sudden jump from 1080 to 4k? Are they forgetting Quad HD, which practically is the highest resolution you want to go? I had a friend over who's never seen a gaming PC in his whole life, and when he saw GTA running at 2560x1440 at 60fps it was like he was a colourblind person seeing a rainbow for the first time, he's now asking for my help in building his very own PC. That eye-opening experience could be had at 1080p60 with eye candy, not at gimped 4k30 with blocky ass textures and stuttering...

4K TV's. They're quite popular. Hell, you can buy low end 4K TV's now for under $500 CAD. Most console gamers don't use monitors at all, so they would never buy a 4K monitor anyway.

4 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

And I do wonder what those people thought when they realised no channels broadcast in 4k, and you'd need godmode internet to even stream the stuff. What a waste, we could've had amazing 1440p TV screens at 1080p prices by now if we didn't skip a step in mass adoption.

1440p/1600p was never a broadcast standard, and thus, there was no point in TV manufacturers ever making a 1440p HDTV. There would be literally zero native content for it. All broadcast and movie standards bodies decided that 4K was the next big step for TV's. Especially since for Movie and TV broadcasting, the difference between 1440p and 1080p is pretty small. Hell, in many cases, 1080p is still sufficient for movies and TV, and even 4K makes little difference. So trying to sell someone on "1440p" (Just imagine how they'd try and market that? Hey Guys! 2.5K! Or they could use the dumbass and factually incorrect marketing method that phones use, and call 1440p "2K").

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Delayed? It was announced as 2017 on Monday at E3? It wasn't delayed at all. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, stconquest said:

The next XBox, VR ready and $700.  It will have this inside:

COLORFUL-B150-GP104-Motherboard-900x592.

That's a GTX 1070:  http://videocardz.com/60927/colorful-motherboard-with-geforce-gtx-1070-on-board

Disclaimer:  I am kidding.  I don't know what the heck they are doing.

you think console users would pay premium price for that? hell i wouldn't pay the laptop price anymore , burn that industry to the ground it's complete dogshit

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

7 minutes ago, dimitriianghelov said:

you think console users would pay premium price for that? hell i wouldn't pay the laptop price anymore , burn that industry to the ground it's complete dogshit

I think people would.  I don't know what percentage of the market they would not though.  Maybe bundle free online play.... forever.