Noctua low noise adapters help

azorahai
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
6 hours ago, azorahai said:

I guess that is true. Though I am sure that the LNA does more to dampen sound than simply reduce the max rpm....otherwise why include LNAs on PWM fans?

LNA only lowers the fan speed. They're included in case the user doesn't have a method of lowering the fan speed.

All my fans are Noctua: 1 140mm in the back as exhaust, 3 120mm in the front as intake, 2 140mm on the top radiator (Kraken x61) to push air up and out. If I use Noctua low noise adapters i can only get the fans spinning for the top 2 (plugs into the cpu opt), front 2 (y splitter goes into a fan connector on MOBO). The bottom fan in the front doesn't spin. It connects to a third fan header on the bottom of the MOBO. The rear exhaust doesn't spin...it connects to a fan connector on the top left of the MOBO.

I asked gigabyte and apparently all fan inputs have pwm so I am wondering why these inputs don't let the fan spin when the low noise adapters are being used.

Ideas?

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHZ...Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Rev. 1.0...Gigabyte 980TI Gaming G1 "Windforce" (x2) in SLI...Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512 GB...Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHZ 32 GB (8x4) Black...NZXT Kraken X61 (Top) with 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair Carbide Air 540 Arctic White Case with 1 Rear Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fan and 3 Front Noctua NF-F12 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair AX1500i PSU...CableMod White & Black Replacement Cables...Windows 10 Home...LG 34UC97 1440p 21:9 60hz Monitor...Ducky Shine 4 Keyboard...Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

What low noise adapter are you using? If it's a three pin it might not work on the PWM header as the 3-pin header lacks the PWM signal wire. So you have to run the 3-pin fans on dc for the fan control to work.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

7 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

What low noise adapter are you using? If it's a three pin it might not work on the PWM header as the 3-pin header lacks the PWM signal wire. So you have to run the 3-pin fans on dc for the fan control to work.

I have the ones that came with the fans: both are four pin: na-rc6 and na-rc7

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHZ...Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Rev. 1.0...Gigabyte 980TI Gaming G1 "Windforce" (x2) in SLI...Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512 GB...Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHZ 32 GB (8x4) Black...NZXT Kraken X61 (Top) with 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair Carbide Air 540 Arctic White Case with 1 Rear Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fan and 3 Front Noctua NF-F12 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair AX1500i PSU...CableMod White & Black Replacement Cables...Windows 10 Home...LG 34UC97 1440p 21:9 60hz Monitor...Ducky Shine 4 Keyboard...Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Do the fans spin up when you set the headers to 100% PWM (e.g. using speed fan)? If yes, then the PWM control plus the adaptor are probably just slowing them down so much that they stop.

If you set the fan curve too low, they might not be getting enough juice to spin up. Try setting your PWM to 100%. If they still don't spin up, try disconnecting the LNA and plugging directly into the motherboard, then 100% again. Use something like HWMonitor or SpeedFan to monitor RPM. If the RPM is way too low at 100% with the LNA disconnected, consider RMAing.

My bet is that the fan curve is just set too low. Fans need more power when connected to a LNA to spin up. Cranking your fans to 100% on startup sometimes gives you the boost needed to maintain a slightly lower fan speed.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Why are you using LNA when you have PWM anyway?

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

4 hours ago, Allshevski said:

Why are you using LNA when you have PWM anyway?

I guess that is true. Though I am sure that the LNA does more to dampen sound than simply reduce the max rpm....otherwise why include LNAs on PWM fans?

6 hours ago, azorahai said:

LNA only lowers the fan speed. They're included in case the user doesn't have a method of lowering the fan speed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.