Fan-Made 'Apeiron' Project Plans to Remaster KOTOR

Sources: https://www.vg247.com/2016/03/09/heres-the-first-footage-of-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-fan-remake-apeiron/

http://www.apeirongame.com/

Apeiron is a reboot of the Knights of the old Republic that was released in 2003. Apeiron is a remake and remastering of the original game with added content, new worlds, missions, HUD, inventory, items, and companions.

So fans of the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (or KOTOR) have gotten together to make a FREE remaster of the game (you have to own the original game first though) available to all fans. In the vg247 source above, you can see the first gameplay footage recorded by youtuber MrMattyPlays.

I for one am super excited. I'm a long time fan of KOTOR and have been wanting a third installment for years. This, of course, isn't that third installment, but it is going to be helping KOTOR get up to date with graphics, being built on the relatively new Unreal Engine 4. In the quote above, they also say many new features are going to be added.

KOTOR 2 was just recently updated on Steam to support both community mods as well as achievements, and now the original KOTOR gets a fan-made update. And judging by the gameplay footage, they're doing a great job. I honestly cannot wait.

Any KOTOR fans on the forum? Discuss below what you think about this! Also, the developers of the remaster are not accepting donations yet, but they say they will soon. I'll probably be one of the first to pledge xD

EDIT: I tried searching the forum efficiently, and only after I posted it did I find another post by @DevilishBooster. Feel free to lock/merge/whatever this post Mods, or consider this the "New Gameplay" update as the original post did not have gameplay.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

I actually haven't thought about that project for a while. I can't open the link here at work, but I'll check it out when I get home.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I love kotor but this is going to take ages!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

looks good. Kotor was very special.

my only fear is that this is such a big undertaking that they will take 4-5 years to vet it done

Unable to follow the link at the moment, but was it ever established if LucasArts gave the okay for this to move forward?

Even if making it available would technically put it in fair use territory, DMCA take down from Disney in 3...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

38 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Unable to follow the link at the moment, but was it ever established if LucasArts gave the okay for this to move forward?

do they need to If these guys keep pushing it as a free mod?

32 minutes ago, Humbug said:

do they need to If these guys keep pushing it as a free mod?

The mod being free has no bearing on whether it's copyright infringement. Many studios will look the other way with free Mods (Or, if you're Valve, give full permission and licensing to Black Mesa Source and allow it to be published and sold on Steam). But some studios are very very strict and will send takedown/cease and desist notices to anyone.

Also, it's not exactly a Mod unless they're using another pre-existing game as the base engine. LucasArts of old has been hit or miss for these kinds of projects, but Disney is apparently a bit more strict.

We'll see.

My major complaint with this project is this:

... a remake and remastering of the original game with added content, new worlds, missions ...

If they want to remake and remaster the original game, tweaking the game mechanics or inventory system or actual inventory items? Sure. But START WITH REMAKING THE GAME! The fact that they are adding new world and new quests means it's no longer a remake. It's a fan expansion/fan-made quests.

Which are totally fine, but let's start with the basics and get them finished, first, yes? I would had put that sort of stuff as a "Bonus goal" to be completed after the main project was finished.

I would think the biggest risk is that EA/Disney may already have a KOTOR remake in the works. Remakes/HD Remasters are all the rage, after all.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

From Iron Man to Apeiron, are we going backwards

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I remember the KOTOR2 project by project Team Gizka. I waited for I don't remember how long and finally lost interest in it. I hope this doesn't end the same way. 

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The mod being free has no bearing on whether it's copyright infringement. Many studios will look the other way with free Mods (Or, if you're Valve, give full permission and licensing to Black Mesa Source and allow it to be published and sold on Steam). But some studios are very very strict and will send takedown/cease and desist notices to anyone.

i'm just playing devil's advocate here to try and gain an understanding but by that standard shouldn't disney also be going after people who write Star Wars fan fiction and post it on the Internet.

16 minutes ago, Humbug said:

i'm just playing devil's advocate here to try and gain an understanding but by that standard shouldn't disney also be going after people who write Star Wars fan fiction and post it on the Internet.

They could, but no one in their right mind will compare Fan Fiction with, say, Star Wars novels. Whereas Mods and fan-made games (especially big ambitious ones) can actually impact the sales of actual Star Wars games.

When your choice is between a well made and expansive fan-made SW Mod, vs, Battlefront 2015? Well, many may choose to simply not buy the official game.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)