winningsince1337

390x: To sell or not to Sell  

18 members have voted

1. 1. 390x: To sell or not to Sell

• Sell, buy Rx 480
    • Sell, wait for vega, use old 7790 maybe crossfire it
    • Don't sell now, sell later and buy Vega/1080ti
    • Wait another generation to do anything

I rma'ed my MSI 290 in December and get a new 390x Gaming back. However, I'm debating selling it and buying an Rx 480 or just rolling with my old 7790 until Vega launches. Should I sell now while there's still lots of value or should I hold on and wait for vega?

I play at 1080p also for consideration.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I would sell now, since it has the most value, and because you have a temporary GPU. Then I'd buy a Vega card later on.

RX 480 looks to be 390 or a little above in performance. You'd be lucky to get a sideways move, might lose some performance going to the 480. Wait for Vega.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

RX 480 looks to be 390 or a little above in performance. You'd be lucky to get a sideways move, might lose some performance going to the 480. Wait for Vega.

Think I should just keep the 390x for now then?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Yes, keep the 390x. It's an awesome graphics card and with Vega set to launch this fall the 490 is closer than any problems keeping the fps you want. otherwise you're looking at having to get a 1070 to see any improvement in performance.

17 minutes ago, winningsince1337 said:

I rma'ed my MSI 290 in December and get a new 390x Gaming back. However, I'm debating selling it and buying an Rx 480 or just rolling with my old 7790 until Vega launches. Should I sell now while there's still lots of value or should I hold on and wait for vega?

I play at 1080p also for consideration.

Lot of work to gain 11% of performance  as per the chart that might be in favor of the 480 who knows. But the power consumption should be big but not that relevant imo Unless you have a crazy electric bill or small tiny room that the 390x heat gets annoying but i find that to even be hard to justify the upgrade at all. Since you have  a 390x the only real options at this very second is 1070 or 1080 But since you play 1080p I would say stay with what you have. 

11 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Lot of work to gain 11% of performance  as per the chart that might be in favor of the 480 who knows. But the power consumption should be big but not that relevant imo Unless you have a crazy electric bill or small tiny room that the 390x heat gets annoying but i find that to even be hard to justify the upgrade at all. Since you have  a 390x the only real options at this very second is 1070 or 1080 But since you play 1080p I would say stay with what you have. 

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, keep the 390x. It's an awesome graphics card and with Vega set to launch this fall the 490 is closer than any problems keeping the fps you want. otherwise you're looking at having to get a 1070 to see any improvement in performance.

Good points guys, I'll keep running it for now. Who knows, it might even die next spring and MSI will upgrade me again when I RMA it (lol probably not). On a side note, it tends to run in the 85-90+C range with fans at 100%. Should I swap thermal paste? 

Worth a shot to swap the paste. I'd check your case ventilation as that's usually a factor in high temps. If you have a bottom fan placement use it, my 390 lost almost 10c by using a bottom intake fan.

3 minutes ago, winningsince1337 said:

Good points guys, I'll keep running it for now. Who knows, it might even die next spring and MSI will upgrade me again when I RMA it (lol probably not). On a side note, it tends to run in the 85-90+C range with fans at 100%. Should I swap thermal paste? 

I would try to make sure case fans and vents are good first seems a bit hot do you live in a Hot area ? maybe lower the overclock you have running? i have a 290 that runs at 85-90c all the time overclocked but my fan is not 100%. Is this causing your clockspeed to thermal throttle down? 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Worth a shot to swap the paste. I'd check your case ventilation as that's usually a factor in high temps. If you have a bottom fan placement use it, my 390 lost almost 10c by using a bottom intake fan.

I'll give that a try, I've got a bottom intake currently but temps didn't change regardless of whether nor not the side panel was on.

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I would try to make sure case fans and vents are good first seems a bit hot do you live in a Hot area ? maybe lower the overclock you have running? i have a 290 that runs at 85-90c all the time overclocked but my fan is not 100%. Is this causing your clockspeed to thermal throttle down? 

Ventilation doesn't seem to be a problem, I have 2 3000rpm Industrial Noctua AF-14's at the front and running them at full speed didn't really make more than a ~1C temp difference. I'm running at stock clocks from MSI. Clock speed isn't dropping as far as I can tell other than 1 time. From my personal experiences with an MSI Gaming 290 and now 390x, is that for some reason they just seem to run ridiculously hot in comparison to an XFX 290 which has a notably smaller cooler. I'll have to try undervolting it and see if its just MSI running a high stock voltage to guarantee stability.