Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sennheiser Closed Back Headphones?

Right now I have the Steelseries 9H closed back headset and I really like it. It is comfortable and sounds good enough for me in gaming. Eventually though I would like to upgrade to a higher quality pair of headphones (I have a desktop microphone) for not only gaming but also listening to music. 

I read the sticky with suggested headphones, but Sennheiser seemed to be only listed for their open headphones. Do they have any solid closed-back headphones for $100-$300~ that anyone would recommend? I know it may sound stupid, but the reason i specifically say Sennheiser is because I really do not like the look of any other "high end" headphone brands. Thanks in advance

edit: also, I currently have the z77 sabertooth motherboard. from all reviews I read when buying the board, the onboard audio is pretty shitty. when I do get a pair of headphones, would it be worth it to get a soundcard with an amp and/or dac on it? or is it better to get an external amp and/or dac? I don't know much about audio, to be completely honest, so any info is appreciated.

Intel i7-3770k CPU @ 4.4ghz -- Asus Sabertooth z77 Motherboard -- EVGA GTX 980ti Classified -- 16gb G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz RAM -- 256gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- NZXT Hale90 750w PSU -- Corsair 750D Case -- Acer XB270HU 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync; Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz Monitors -- Corsair H100i CPU Cooler -- Steelseries Rival 100 Mouse -- Corsair K65 RGB Keyboard -- Sennheiser HD598 SE Headphones+Fiio E10k Dac/Amp - Blue Snowball Microphone

3 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

-snip

I would not recommend a sound card unless you can find a very high quality one that is extremely well at sealing off sound from the electrical interference inside of your system. Not sure if you've seen this video or not but Linus covers this well here - 

Good idea on Senheiser, I've been told they make some extremely high quality stuff, I would look into their factory tour as well. I've also been told that closed back headphones do not always sound as natural as open back due to the way that the air moves/is being restrained. 

12 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

I would not recommend a sound card unless you can find a very high quality one that is extremely well at sealing off sound from the electrical interference inside of your system. Not sure if you've seen this video or not but Linus covers this well here - 

Good idea on Senheiser, I've been told they make some extremely high quality stuff, I would look into their factory tour as well. I've also been told that closed back headphones do not always sound as natural as open back due to the way that the air moves/is being restrained. 

Thanks. The video helps my understanding, but still doesn't really help me with any particular hardware recommendations. I know most people prefer the sound stage of open headphones, and I have had open headphones in the past as well. I just prefer the sound/isolation I get now with my closed back headphones so I'd like to stick with that. Appreciate the response.

Intel i7-3770k CPU @ 4.4ghz -- Asus Sabertooth z77 Motherboard -- EVGA GTX 980ti Classified -- 16gb G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz RAM -- 256gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- NZXT Hale90 750w PSU -- Corsair 750D Case -- Acer XB270HU 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync; Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz Monitors -- Corsair H100i CPU Cooler -- Steelseries Rival 100 Mouse -- Corsair K65 RGB Keyboard -- Sennheiser HD598 SE Headphones+Fiio E10k Dac/Amp - Blue Snowball Microphone

2 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

Thanks. The video helps my understanding, but still doesn't really help me with any particular hardware recommendations. I know most people prefer the sound stage of open headphones, and I have had open headphones in the past as well. I just prefer the sound/isolation I get now with my closed back headphones so I'd like to stick with that. Appreciate the response.

I'm not good with audio recommendations otherwise I would say something, hopefully someone from the audio section of the forums can give a good shout

sorry :\

1 hour ago, ohitsluca said:

I read the sticky with suggested headphones, but Sennheiser seemed to be only listed for their open headphones. Do they have any solid closed-back headphones for $100-$300~ that anyone would recommend? I know it may sound stupid, but the reason i specifically say Sennheiser is because I really do not like the look of any other "high end" headphone brands. Thanks in advance

Sennheiser does not really have that many closed headphones, they have their game zero or one that is closed, but that is really it. 

Give these headphones a look

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

AKG K553

NAD VISO HP50

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus

DT 770

And maybe give this a read.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

30 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Sennheiser does not really have that many closed headphones, they have their game zero or one that is closed, but that is really it. 

Give these headphones a look

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7

AKG K553

NAD VISO HP50

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus

DT 770

And maybe give this a read.

I read your post and I understand what you're saying -- get the headphones and try them before you get an amp or a dac you may not need. I guess I'm just not sure that I will know if I need one when trying the headphones. Obviously I could tell if there was noise in my audio, but I haven't had enough experience with quality headphones to know if my sound is warm/cold/colored/transparent lol. Plus the forum posts/review about my motherboards onboard audio didn't help.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with the Sennheiser HD7 or HD8's? I know Linus was in love with the HD8's for a while. Thanks for the help.

25 minutes ago, ohitsluca said:

I read your post and I understand what you're saying -- get the headphones and try them before you get an amp or a dac you may not need. I guess I'm just not sure that I will know if I need one when trying the headphones. Obviously I could tell if there was noise in my audio, but I haven't had enough experience with quality headphones to know if my sound is warm/cold/colored/transparent lol. Plus the forum posts/review about my motherboards onboard audio didn't help.

Do you have any knowledge or experience with the Sennheiser HD7 or HD8's? I know Linus was in love with the HD8's for a while. Thanks for the help.

it is very easy to tell if you need a amp, if you can't get them loud enough, then you need a amp. From what I have heard about the HD7/8 are that they are focused on bass.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

21 hours ago, Dackzy said:

From what I have heard about the HD7/8 are that they are focused on bass.

The HD7 and HD8 DJ are (as you can guess from their names) closed-back headphones that are marketed towards fans and producers of electronic music and therefore are pretty heavy on the bass side of things. If you want to go for that kind of sound, than do go and try them out, I listened to them a while back and they pack a well focused sound and are very sturdy. But depending on what you want to listen to, they might sound a bit dull. Light rock, blues or classical music for example don't really benefit from being so bass-driven.

If you do want a more flat response curve (meaning that the low, medium and high frequencies are about equal in volume), Sennheiser has the HD 280 Pro. They are closed back studio headphones, so they reproduce the sound of your source very accurately, but at the same time, the also look like studio headphones and I wouldn't call them very fashionable. Well, you gotta know for yourself. You can usually get them for around $100 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465886364&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd280+pro

Other than that, I will have to agree with @Dackzy that closed-back is not really Sennheiser's game. Maybe check out the stuff AKG, Audio-Technica and Beyerdynamic have in their range of headphones. Good chance you might find something that suits your needs there.

Greetz

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

13 minutes ago, der_Hendrikos said:

-snip-

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep looking, but I may just have to settle for an open pair of Sennheisers :(

44 minutes ago, ohitsluca said:

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep looking, but I may just have to settle for an open pair of Sennheisers :(

You're welcome!
I personally own a pair of Sennheiser HD558s, which I love for all they are, but then they're also open-back. Great sound and build quality for the price (~ $120) though, give them a listen if you're ready ;)

- Greetz! -

Don't be irritated by the grumpy look

Some of my gear: HP ProBook laptop, Logitech G710+ keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse, Sony Xperia Z3 compact phone, Sennheiser HD558 headphones, Sony Alpha 58 DSLR

Areas of expertise: Consumer-grade and business PCs and laptops // headphones and audio gear in general // computer peripherals // troubleshooting hardware and software // making, woodworking, soldering, etc. // electrical engineering and physics // music and drumming

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2016 at 6:14 AM, Dackzy said:

it is very easy to tell if you need a amp, if you can't get them loud enough, then you need a amp. From what I have heard about the HD7/8 are that they are focused on bass.

So i decided to go with open back after all, and went with HD598's. Plugged them into my onboard and I think music sounds good, it is certainly loud enough and has more bass than I thought it would after reading reviews. I decided to listen to some of my favorite songs to see if I could hear things I didn't before, and a lot of the background details definitely seemed easier to hear. But in a number of songs I hear a very low hissing in the background. When the music gets louder it gets drowned out, but it is definitely there.

And CS:GO sounds AWFUL. Everything sounds kinda muffled and I can barely tell where people are coming from. (and I thought positional audio would be the biggest benefit of switching to open back headphones). My Realtek software has no enhancements or EQ turned on, so I don't think I have anything wrong in that regard. Is this just shitty onboard audio? My motherboard is Realtek ALC892... should I just get a Fiio E10k or something? I feel like it should sound better than this, but I have nothing to point to as a reference. Appreciate the help!

Edit: also, I have my volume set to around 30% and anything above that is super loud. not sure what this means... and is burn in necessary? would this also help? Im so clueless lol.

2 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

So i decided to go with open back after all, and went with HD598's. Plugged them into my onboard and I think music sounds good, it is certainly loud enough and has more bass than I thought it would after reading reviews. I decided to listen to some of my favorite songs to see if I could hear things I didn't before, and a lot of the background details definitely seemed easier to hear. But in a number of songs I hear a very low hissing in the background. When the music gets louder it gets drowned out, but it is definitely there.

And CS:GO sounds AWFUL. Everything sounds kinda muffled and I can barely tell where people are coming from. (and I thought positional audio would be the biggest benefit of switching to open back headphones). My Realtek software has no enhancements or EQ turned on, so I don't think I have anything wrong in that regard. Is this just shitty onboard audio? My motherboard is Realtek ALC892... should I just get a Fiio E10k or something? I feel like it should sound better than this, but I have nothing to point to as a reference. Appreciate the help!

Edit: also, I have my volume set to around 30% and anything above that is super loud. not sure what this means... and is burn in necessary? would this also help? Im so clueless lol.

The hissing can be onboard problem or low quality sound file. CSGO well have you set it to headphones? I would not really get the E10K if onboard is the problem. I have a lot or recommendation in my post about amps and dacs.