New build PC keeps turning himself on #Imanoob

Go to solution Solved by LE0NSKA,

my problem wasn't solved the way I wanted but it did.. kinda

since we established the antennas fault for booting my pc, I tried to test few things here and there and the freakin' connecter just broke or something.. I couldn't get any internetconnection anymore

it's a very very tiny connector, I knew it would break if anyone would use it more than 5 times aaaaaand...surprise - it did

so I plugged my weird LAN to WiFi thingy I used for something else (looks somthing like this http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383421509&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+wifi) and since then - no selfboots of any kind

the problem was found but not really solved.. more like, avoided I guess. not sure if it counts as "answered" but oh well..

thanks for the help

Hello magnificent People of LinusTechTipsForum,

first and foremost let me appologize for any grammar fail and other other weird.. words I may use. This isn't my native language but I kinda enjoy trying.

Oh, and this may very well be a long post for the.. in comparison very minor problem (basically the title says it all), just because of my nature, but..! I'll try to make this funny and entertaining

(spoileralert: No, I won't)

The reason I'm posting it here howefer, and not somewhere where my language barrier might not exsist, is because of the community.

I'm subscribed to linus for quite some time now and he was one of the main reasons I decided to actually build my own rig (And I'm not even a PC guy). Plus the money I made of course. 

It was my first time doing anything like that, and it was fun as hell. Literally everything in this machine, or connected to it, is new (except the mouse and electricity)

It works weirdly enough and I'm having a blast. Howefer, I might have done something wrong... 

Problem:

Everytime I shut it down, it'll eventually will turn itself on again! There is no pattern when this will happen. Sometimes it takes just 1 minute, sometimes a few hours.

Spec:

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Intel i7 3770K (no overclocking was done)

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3-1600

msi GTX 680 2 GB 

WD Blue 1000 GB

Intel 520 SSD 120 GB

be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

If there is anything else you need to know, I'll happily reply.

Edit: Oh and each it time it does this.. my Icons on the desktop will "reset" to their default position (left aligned from top)

Thank you in advance

Greetings

UPDATE:

After unplugging the ASUS wi-fi antenna, my PC immediately booted itself.

Without the antenna plugged it, it seems to not boot itself up!

Whats the solution there?

You sure you are not hitting the reset button?  

Well saw you said a few hours...hmmmm only thing I can think of is power supply being weird?

You sure you are not hitting the reset button?  

Well saw you said a few hours...hmmmm only thing I can think of is power supply being weird?

Thats not it. and it's a new PSU... otherwise everything else works just fine

Go into BIOS and make sure that you have 'Wake on LAN' off and have disabled scheduled wake up events. Basically check your motherboard for all features that could possibly turn your computer on.

you should also check windows for any wake up events.

Error: 410

Poltergeist.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

This is most likely either a problem with your front panel connectors or there's a setting in the BIOS enabled to wake up the computer for some event. Less likely, you could have events scheduled in Windows to wake your computer.

Buys

Spec:

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3-1600

Buys Dominator Platinums, only get's 1600Mhz

39003-wat-know-your-meme-gif-olJb.gif

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Check you have correctly connected the front panel connectors. 

A mind, sharpened on the shards of disappointment.
Intel Core i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz  | Corsair 600T White | 2xSapphire 7970 GHZ Vapor-X 

Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz 16GB | Corsair 860i PSU| ASUS Sabertooth Z87 | OCZ Agility 4 256GB SSD

Buys

Buys Dominator Platinums, only get's 1600Mhz

39003-wat-know-your-meme-gif-olJb.gif

It's actually something I would do. Memory speeds dont affect that much, and 1600mhz platinums looks awesome while still being quite affordable.

This is most likely either a problem with your front panel connectors or there's a setting in the BIOS enabled to wake up the computer for some event. Less likely, you could have events scheduled in Windows to wake your computer.

Ok, I'll check em out thanks

as far as I can tell, I disabled the wake up functions in BIOS. could have easily missed something though, not that much of a PC guy

scheduled windows events? where can I find them? 

It's actually something I would do. Memory speeds dont affect that much, and 1600mhz platinums looks awesome while still being quite affordable.

exactly

Ok, I'll check em out thanks

as far as I can tell, I disabled the wake up functions in BIOS. could have easily missed something though, not that much of a PC guy

scheduled windows events? where can I find them? 

Hit the start button and type in "task scheduler". They're all listed there. As for the BIOS, you can reset it to defaults just to make sure that nothing is set to wake it.

Hit the start button and type in "task scheduler". They're all listed there. As for the BIOS, you can reset it to defaults just to make sure that nothing is set to wake it.

holy cow! what is all that stuff? :D 

there is actually quite a list with microsoft stuff 

for example

ProgramDataUpdater 

next time: 30.09.2013 (30 september) 00:30:00 

scheduled every day at 00:30h 

/Microsoft/Windows/Application Experience

is this normal?

The vast majority (or all) of them are legit. AFAIK you'll have to go through them one by one, but I'm sure a google search will render a method to find scheduled tasks that could be turning it on.

The vast majority (or all) of them are legit. AFAIK you'll have to go through them one by one, but I'm sure a google search will render a method to find scheduled tasks that could be turning it on.

So I deleted some Adobe Flash Player and Chrome update schedules and turned it down for the night before going to sleep. It booted itself about 7 in the morning. I turned it off again, got to work - came back home - it was on again, so I checked the schedules again. and none of them fit the time period when it happend :/

so thats probably not it I'm affraid :(

have yet to check the front panel connecters though.. can I ask a off-topic question?

Go into BIOS and make sure that you have 'Wake on LAN' off and have disabled scheduled wake up events. Basically check your motherboard for all features that could possibly turn your computer on.

you should also check windows for any wake up events.

As far as I can tell, I did :( god damit.. would "Wake on LAN" even matter because I connect wirelessly?

Just unplug the pin off the mobo for the rest then see what happens.

what pin?

well I double and tripple checked the frontpanel connector, nothing... any other idea?........

Under ACPI settings in the BIOS make sure everything like wake on usb mouse/keyboard etc is turned off.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

As far as I can tell, I did :( god damit.. would "Wake on LAN" even matter because I connect wirelessly?

check the bios there is usually a timer there to turn pc on by itself or if u hit any keyboard or mouse button

check the bios for these setting ... 

yeah i forgot about wake on lan turn that off too 

and did u installed the plugs which turn on the system in the correct pins ? 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

check the bios there is usually a timer there to turn pc on by itself or if u hit any keyboard or mouse button

check the bios for these setting ... 

yeah i forgot about wake on lan turn that off too 

and did u installed the plugs which turn on the system in the correct pins ? 

I did not found any sorts of timers, besides there is no pattern on when it turns on.. can take minutes, can take hours

do you know the specific location (ASUS P8Z77-V Pro)

I pressed mouse and keyboardbuttons and moved it around to see if that would do anything - nope

I might even turn them off regarless

I did...

also do u use windows 7 ? ?

if yes i found this on ur motherboard site ! 

http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/1/39/P8Z77V_PRO/43C94E04-2807-4BEB-A19C-DB66BF453AC1/

hope this helps

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

also do u use windows 7 ? ?

if yes i found this on ur motherboard site ! 

http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/1/39/P8Z77V_PRO/43C94E04-2807-4BEB-A19C-DB66BF453AC1/

hope this helps

yes, I do 64bit

Cool! thank you! I've instaled it. let's see, hope it's not a virus..:D

the results will take a while though