HELP! Do I sell my gtx 980 K|ngp|n to buy 3 rx480s?

I'm planning on selling my gtx 980 k|ngp|n and with the money buying 3 amd rx480s. Would I be worth it? I've always been a firm believer in nvidia but the rx480s have got me really intrigued. I'm also intrested in playing in 4K, but do not care about VR. 

Wait for benchmarks. Probably won't be worth it though.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

9 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

Wait for benchmarks. Probably won't be worth it though.

Well I read that the rx 480 is better than the 980 so if I get three then surely the performance will be incredible? I'm able to buy three with the money I get from selling the 980 kingpin. Also they were leaked..

image.png

10 minutes ago, CrimsonNeonn said:

I'm planning on selling my gtx 980 k|ngp|n and with the money buying 3 amd rx480s. Would I be worth it? I've always been a firm believer in nvidia but the rx480s have got me really intrigued. I'm also intrested in playing in 4K, but do not care about VR. 

No

Its always better to get 1 more powerful card than multiple less powerful graphics cards

If you have $700 to spend on graphics cards (remember that the 8 gb model of the RX 480 is more expensive) buy 2 gtx 1070's.

2 minutes ago, CrimsonNeonn said:

Well I read that the rx 480 is better than the 980 so if I get three then surely the performance will be incredible? I'm able to buy three with the money I get from selling the 980 kingpin 

From what we've seen it's about the same as a 970/R9 390. 3-way card setups are almost never worth it. They have a ton of problems. In fact I would hesitate to ever even do 2 cards, vs 1 better card.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

1 minute ago, PCIsMasterRace said:

No

Its always better to get 1 more powerful card than multiple less powerful graphics cards

If you have $700 to spend on graphics cards (remember that the 8 gb model of the RX 480 is more expensive) buy 2 gtx 1070's.

Or 1 1080 to SLI later.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Or 1 1080 to SLI later.

this

I agree with the above statements, one powerful card is always better than multiple mid-tier. With AMD and developers mixed track record of supporting cross-fire, I wouldn't rely on it for anything.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

A 1080 isn't in my budget unfortunately, I thought that seen as though it's supposed to be on par with a 980 ti, so if you was in my position would you just stick with the 980 or get the 3 rx480s?

13 minutes ago, CrimsonNeonn said:

A 1080 isn't in my budget unfortunately, I thought that seen as though it's supposed to be on par with a 980 ti, so if you was in my position would you just stick with the 980 or get the 3 rx480s?

If you wait a little bit for 1080's to come back in stock you should be able to pick up a non founders edition card for $600.

21 minutes ago, CrimsonNeonn said:

Neither, I would sell 980 and get a 1070 / 490 (if that is announced and released in the next month)

No... 1 good card is better than 3 lesser cards

Nothing.

seeing as how you have a kingpin 980...why not just pickup another kingpin 980 with an ASIC score similar to yours. That way you'll be able to match overclocks fairly easily.

Get more performance per dollar that way.

Was what I did with my 980ti hybrid. Picked up a used one off someone looking to get the 1080, paid nearly half of what I did for the first card.

Get a 1070 or even 1080 and SLI it later down the road.

No, 1080 is not on par with 980 Ti, it's 25-30% faster. Hell, the 1070 outperforms 980 Ti and Titan X in most cases.