Programmer fired after 6 years after forgetting how to code due to automation

This guy ( FiletOfFish1066 @ reddit) got fired after creating an automated program that did his job for him for 6 years, which resulted him forgetting how to code as all he did at work was browse Reddit and play LoL.

“From around 6 years ago up until now, I have done nothing at work. I am not joking. For 40 hours each week I go to work, play League of Legends in my office, browse reddit, and do whatever I feel like. In the past 6 years I have maybe done 50 hours of real work. So basically nothing. And nobody really cared. The tests were all running successfully. I shit you not, I had no friends or anything at work either, so nobody ever talked to me except my boss and occasionally the devs for the software I was testing.” -Reddit 

Guess how much his company paid him to basically do nothing for a full six years? $95,000 per year on average.

Source: http://interestingengineering.com/programmer-automates-job-6-years-boss-fires-finds/ & http://www.payscale.com/career-news/2016/05/programmer-fired-after-6-years-realizes-he-doesnt-know-how-to-code & https://m.reddit.com/u/FiletOFish1066/activity

what a real motherfucking g. this guy is amazing. such a genius.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So much ambition. 

There are so many better, more productive routes this could have taken. But this idiot played LoL and browsed reddit instead. Great job.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

So much ambition. 

There are so many better, more productive routes this could have taken. But this idiot played LoL and browsed reddit instead. Great job.

indeed he regretted it as now he is addicted to LoL and beer

Interesting that he created code to autonomize his job though.... I'm sure he could learn how to code again, since it sounds like he was a pretty good programmer.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Haha, that's amazing.

This guy has a future. Maybe not immediately in programming, but just in life.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

what a real motherfucking g. this guy is amazing. such a genius.

Absolute genius. Im sure it was little stressful at 1st when he developed the software but he must have laught his ass off for the rest of the time he spent at work. :D

This is the funniest tech news I've seen on here since I joined.I admire the guy for pulling it off for sooooooo looong. Like how daguq did nobody notice :D I thought some companies at least once a month look at the records in their database or something to check what was the internet and their machines used for. 

He deserves a medal for this ! The mention in Worlds Records book at least !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Yes. And then when they see your capabilities, you automate more stuff and move up. You don't remain stagnant. That's how you get fired, like this dumbass.

Aye, you hit the nail on the head..  

14 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Well if the job got done...

Good point but I guess if software can do it what's the point of paying him ? One off pay for the software, sure. But monthly payments don't make sense.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

You got to grive credit to the guy 6 years ago. not him now, but making a program to do his job for him, pretty good. Now if he used the time to be more productive, that would have been better.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What sort of programming job can be done via automation?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

OP mentioned testing so I'm guessing it was something really repetitive which I understand why he would not want to do.

2 minutes ago, Ivo said:

OP mentioned testing so I'm guessing it was something really repetitive which I understand why he would not want to do.

I guess, but at the same time you can't really find bugs with a script - and the fact that they specifically mentioned him forgetting how to code makes me think some coding was involved.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 year winning streak!

Though this could have some long term repercussions. If he forgot how to code, what kind of salary can he manage now?

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

6 years! 6 years of sitting at work and doing nothing but play LoL! His workplace effectively just paid him $570K for developing testing software which they can now use forever. 

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

security checks, bug finders, update software and more :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular