Hydro-Québec planning to attract Data Centers in province

The crown corporation, whose new CEO Éric Martel hopes to double revenue by 2030, plans to launch a campaign of seduction with major international companies in the data center sector.

The Data Center sector reaches 15 billion a year in investments. Québec produces a surplus of clean and renewable electricity. Hydro-Québec produces some of the cheapest electricity in the world at less than $0.05/kw with significant surplus with capacity to improve the production using hydro-plants. Québec also has plenty of space for large buildings as well as a cold climate in the winter which reduces the cost of cooling.

More jobs wouldnt hurt either. :P

in french, sorry it hasnt been picked up by any english publication yet.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/economie/2016/06/08/001-hydro-quebec-centres-donnees-informatiques-campagne-entreprises-internationales.shtml

Ultra Cheap power? Who wants to invest in a bitcoin mining farm with me?

/s

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

Ultra Cheap power? Who wants to invest in a bitcoin mining farm with me?

/s

You say that as a joke I answer with this. 

VQkBF5Y.png

But they're still buying wind energy at higher cost even when there's surplus... which they sells at a lower price to the USA. GG 

But bringing energy consumming business is great. We need more OVH and the likes.

2 hours ago, dmegatool said:

But they're still buying wind energy at higher cost even when there's surplus... which they sells at a lower price to the USA. GG 

But bringing energy consumming business is great. We need more OVH and the likes.

That's cause they're contractually obligated to do so. You can thank the old CEO for that :(

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

That's cause they're contractually obligated to do so. You can thank the old CEO for that :(

Yeah I know that they're "obliged". Check that quote from their website 

Finally, the Québec government decided to support the development of wind power, essentially for regional development reasons. Hydro-Québec respects this choice. Wind power is a clean and renewable energy source. Over the next few years, this industry must offer competitive costs if it is to remain an attractive option.

Lol that so totally read as "We're forced to so..." :)

cheap... power?

My $300 to $400 power bill from Hydro Quebec disagree with that assessment.

There's literally no reason for power to be this expensive when it's renewable. They love to give companies cheaper tariffs while the general consumers eat up those costs. It's daylight robbery is what it is. Their monopoly lets them set the prices they want and every year they show up with a price increase.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

cheap... power?

My $300 to $400 power bill from Hydro Quebec disagree with that assessment.

There's literally no reason for power to be this expensive when it's renewable. They love to give companies cheaper tariffs while the general consumers eat up those costs. It's daylight robbery is what it is. Their monopoly lets them set the prices they want and every year they show up with a price increase.

In the best case scenario, you're using anywhere between 150 and 225 kw per day of electricity. I dont know what you're doint but you're doing it wrong lol. Are you growing weed?

That's like enough to run  5 to 6 computers boincing use 2 Radeon HD 7990 pulling ~1.1kw/h each

Your electricity bill in any other country would be something along the lines of $1000+

Example: In France the electricity rate is 0.1372 euros  per kwh. That's $0.20 CAD.

Are you guys shitting me here we are paying 16.035 cents (euro) per KwH, and thats with a 30% reduction over last year.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

And here Ontario is sitting - with 90% of electricity being produced without fossil fuels in 2015:

2016-06-10_1059.png

And yet, our electricity is still double (or triple, depending on the time of day) that of Quebec.

2016-06-10_1100.png

Not TERRIBLE, but $0.18/kWh is kinda pricey for a Province that generates 60% Nucluear and 24% Hydro, both of which are dirt cheap to operate.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/06/2016 at 3:58 AM, Paragon_X said:

Are you guys shitting me here we are paying 16.035 cents (euro) per KwH, and thats with a 30% reduction over last year.

Quebec has a shitload of rivers, we produce more electricity then we consume and sell a lot to the USA. It costs something silly like 3 or 3.5 cents(CAD) per kwh to produce. 

On 10/06/2016 at 11:00 AM, dalekphalm said:

And here Ontario is sitting - with 90% of electricity being produced without fossil fuels in 2015:

2016-06-10_1059.png

And yet, our electricity is still double (or triple, depending on the time of day) that of Quebec.

2016-06-10_1100.png

Not TERRIBLE, but $0.18/kWh is kinda pricey for a Province that generates 60% Nucluear and 24% Hydro, both of which are dirt cheap to operate.

Québec is at produces over 100% of it's consummation. We're in the process of decommissioning our only nuclear plant and we have 2-3 fossil plants that never run except during the coldest nights of winter

4AKyxG7.png

PS: 36 643 mw is almost double the production of Ontario

@RagnarokDel The fun fact is that I live in Cyprus where we have 10 months a year of full Smoldering sun above our heads, and the government though it was best to make 2 wind generator farms, instead of photo voltaic farms. With the current price if a house adds 4 kWh plates (cost of about 6k euros) they get their money back in 5 years max.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

44 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

@RagnarokDel The fun fact is that I live in Cyprus where we have 10 months a year of full Smoldering sun above our heads, and the government though it was best to make 2 wind generator farms, instead of photo voltaic farms. With the current price if a house adds 4 kWh plates (cost of about 6k euros) they get their money back in 5 years max.

haha wow. Yeah Québec doesnt have the best potential for solar panels (that doesnt mean we cant use them tho) We're better off using wind and hydro :o