Dual xeon builds vs standard i7

I recently saw a video of someone building a computer with 16 cores (32 threads).

And on most things it was faster/better then a i7. 

What I dont understand is why not everyone is doing this.

Because you can get a lot more performance for what I think less money.

Or are there downsides doing something like this (putting together a dual xeon build)?

Also I have a Intel Xeon e3-1231 V3, and by what is looks like that Xeon cpu is a lot faster then my cpu. And I can buy my cpu for $254.99 and that 8 core xeon only cost's $60 on ebay. 

How is it possible that that low cost cpu is almost as fast as my xeon e3 1231?

I hope someone has a understanding of this and can explain me what is going on.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-01q09bLU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR0KX-INTEL-XEON-E5-2670-8-CORE-2-60GHz-20M-8GT-s-115W-PROCESSOR-CPU-/281889330127

old gen hardware so it's cheap plus it's 16 cores vs 4 cores and it's preforming about the same...in games, it's uber low IPC is gonna bottleneck any med-high end GPU like there's no tomorrow :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

yeah its the point of xeons. they suck for gaming and are awesome for rendering.

its called market seggregation. and comes from the $$$ department of intel :D 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

well from what I know the Xeon e5 2670 is an 8 core 16 thread cpu with a 3.6ghz turbo which means that it will outperform many other cpu especially i5s. Although the gaming aspect will have a huge hit because of the fact that most games like to run on 4 or less core but equivalent to the utilization of 2 cores. This varies between many games and the type of API that they use such as Direct X12 will be able to use every core to it's maximum whereas DX11 doesn't use them to their max they usually go up to 40% with an an i5 or i7. So going over this again using 2 of those cpus in one machine will wreck every thing and one will be able to be close to an i7 5820k in video and audio benchmarking as well as desktop operations but will lack and act like an i5 in gaming situations.

10 minutes ago, Luukth said:

And on most things it was faster/better then a i7. 

It highly depends on what you are going to do. For gaming they will be slower.

10 minutes ago, Luukth said:

What I dont understand is why not everyone is doing this.

Because you can get a lot more performance for what I think less money.

It depends on what the second hand market looks like where you live. Here in Sweden there are next to no second hand Xeons to find.

Motherboards with 2 or more sockets are also expensive as balls, and usually very limited feature set.

20 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

it's uber low IPC is gonna bottleneck any med-high end GPU like there's no tomorrow 

Its not "uber low IPC" its low clockspeed and not even that low. And it wont bottleneck any med-high end GPU, source is me, I have 2x 2670's 

Edit: and for gaming, you wont notice the difference, my is not at all stressed during gaming, not even if the game is not optimized for multi thread

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

1 minute ago, legopc said:

Its not "uber low IPC" its low clockspeed and not even that low. And it wont bottleneck any med-high end GPU, source is me, I have 2x 2670's 

Ehhhh...maybe not that low IPC but still...4 cores vs 16 cores for the same performance usually says something about it's IPC and clock speed... :D 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ehhhh...maybe not that low IPC but still...4 cores vs 16 cores for the same performance usually says something about it's IPC and clock speed... :D 

Those 2670's outperform any i7 currently on the market, maybe not with single core performance but you wont even notice it in games, like it said this cpu wont even be stressed when gaming. 

-Adolf Hitler 

3 minutes ago, legopc said:

Those 2670's outperform any i7 currently on the market, maybe not with single core performance but you wont even notice it in games, like it said this cpu wont even be stressed when gaming. 

I am with you man i just built my buddy a dual e5 2670 and I put an r9 390x and it had the same perofrmance as my 5820k in gaming

4 minutes ago, legopc said:

I wonder if the 15 idling cores has something to do with the usage...xD (of course this depends on the game and the programs you're using) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I wonder if the 15 idling cores has something to do with the usage...xD (of course this depends on the game and the programs you're using) 

283b7f222f.jpgSuck on that

-Adolf Hitler 

as @legopc says, the CPU is not totally taxed during gaming, which means that you will likely get similar performance in real use as your GPU will be the bottleneck. But what is nice is that you have more cores to mess with, and if that is what you like, go for it!

Comb it with a brick

10 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I am with you man i just built my buddy a dual e5 2670 and I put an r9 390x and it had the same perofrmance as my 5820k in gaming

Well it's sandy vs haswell so yes, the IPC improvement is only like 10-20% difference but again, in a heavily single threaded or dual threaded or quad or hex threaded application, the 5820k will destroy the xeon :) 

also @legopc, for some reason my brain decided to make me think they were nehalem or older so...yeah :/ the IPC isn't as bad as I thought plus if you're video editing or whatever then those 16 cores/32 threads can be all utilised else and it will wreck all i7s else if it tops out at 4 threads for consumer i7s or 10 now for enthusiasts i7s (broadwell-e) then hehe the i7 is better :). (obviously hyperthreads are slower than sandy cores hence why I'm only using their number of cores as max threads :).)

8 minutes ago, legopc said:

When you get as similar score to the 6950X that 4 times what you payed for. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

When you get as similar score to the 6950X that 4 times what you payed for. 

Fun thing is a lot of people on Europe dont know about this deal so I was able to sell the first pair I got for 250 euro, which is 100 euro profit and I just bought another pair from china for 130 euro.

-Adolf Hitler 

11 minutes ago, legopc said:

So you are running 2 Xeon 2670?

1 minute ago, Luukth said:

So you are running 2 Xeon 2670?

Yes

-Adolf Hitler 

2 minutes ago, legopc said:

Yes

And do you game on your system or only rendering tasks? And do you notice any differances in performance compared to an i7 or lower? For the same amout of money.

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Finally have a reason for you to use windows server ;)

GMING!!!! Havent seen you in some time. But im not running that anymore, mark installed win8.1 on my pc at FoM :P

-Adolf Hitler 

3 minutes ago, Luukth said:

And do you game on your system or only rendering tasks? And do you notice any differances in performance compared to an i7 or lower? For the same amout of money.

I sometimes game on it a please thrust me when I say these cpu's wont bottleneck anything, there has not been a game so far that has come close to using 25% of the cpu. But I mainly have this thing to test vm's and other server related things.

-Adolf Hitler 

4 minutes ago, legopc said:

GMING!!!! Havent seen you in some time. But im not running that anymore, mark installed win8.1 on my pc at FoM :P

This year or last year? Might hop onto TS A Bit later :)

5 minutes ago, Luukth said:

For the price of 2 2670's You will not get anything with the same CPU Horsepower.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

2 minutes ago, legopc said:

I sometimes game on it a please thrust me when I say these cpu's wont bottleneck anything, there has not been a game so far that has come close to using 25% of the cpu. But I mainly have this thing to test vm's and other server related things.

So if you had to choose between 2 xeon 2670 and 1 xeon e3 1231 V3, what would you choose?

1 minute ago, Luukth said:

So if you had to choose between 2 xeon 2670 and 1 xeon e3 1231 V3, what would you choose?

usecase? budget? etc etc

-Adolf Hitler 

I love mine.

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case